For some reason, this game runs slowly on my machine. And since there's no option to lower quality, I can't even find out if my machine is too slow. (My machine is ~5 years old; getting long in the tooth, but not obsolete yet.)
It's a fun game, but jumping when walking down a slope is a real pain. For a few moments, occasionally, you'll be out of contact with the ground, and unable to jump. I'm sure I died about 10 times from trying to jump over a gear, only to lose contact with the ground just before I hit the jump key.
Very Secret Diary of the Deity:
Day 1: Flattened land
Day 2: Flattened land
Day 3: Flattened land
Day 4: Flattened land
Day 5: Flattened land
Day 6: Told my people to slaughter all in my name. Had some scones.
The mining is nice, but the town-building is confusing and very, VERY slow. I've stuck town halls (+5 popularity/max pop, +3 growth rate, +1 cash) scattered in clusters of 3 to 5 all over the map, and I'm only getting 6-12 people per day. Seriously, I have 45 town halls with either nobody or very few people around them. Why is the population increasing so slowly?
It feels like there's no retry mechanism when a HTTP request fails. Things either happen within a few seconds of things being clicked, or they never happen at all. (That brings up another issue: too much stuff is being stored on a central server. Just about every action requires a server request, and it waits for the server to say something. I suppose it's an anti-cheating mechanism, but couldn't you have made the HTTP request non-blocking so I can get on with inventory management or accepting quests or whatever?)
The game is fun for quite a while, but once you've found all of the areas and built all of the structures, the game says you're just 30% done or so. The remaining 70%? Nothing but 28 copies of the same old upgrade-a-structure mission.
Oddly enough, if you have absolutely disgusting energy storage, energy generation, AND a huge energy drain, you get small amounts of energy deficit. Odin can't serve out the energy fast enough, I guess? (Tested with 540 storage, 39.6 generation, 23 drain (plus or minus 2). I really wanted to "win" survival mode.)
Very nicely done. All of the puzzles were straightforward; only two required any timing worth mentioning, and only one (#20) required a little fiddling to delete a couple of the tiny boxes. Too often, I see physics games where the solutions are pixel-perfect, and the solutions work the first time once you've figured out what you want to do!
One word of advice: you can't make anything safe. Take risks; if three guys are manning the fort all the time, it's roughly equivalent to losing three guys when the walls are overrun, anyway: just leave it unmanned (except for hordes), and take police stations and malls to beef up your defenses. You want a Lab (or a XXOR) and a Hospital as quickly as possible; if you can't get to them early on, consider restarting.
Yeah, the AI doesn't always pick the best move, even when it's obvious. I once forked the AI: he could lose either his dwarf (the rook-like piece), or he could lose his flag. He... chose to lose his flag. It might be an issue with not checking the results of the move, because his dwarf was directly between my (two-move) capturing piece and his flag.
My trouble with all of the Protector games is that, due to the XP-for-upgrade system, you usually can't do jack when you find a wave you can't beat. So you're going along fine, everything is happy, the world is your oyster, and then BAM! You get a wave of hellfrogs or something, you can't beat them, and you have to restart.
Hey, do you like games? So do we — that’s what makes Kongregate the best source of free games online. We have thousands upon thousands of free online games, from both one-man indies and large studios, rated and filtered so you can play the best of the best. Read more »