@PTGDevD An easier method of obtaining the achievement is to use the small fast hull (Smaller means more acceleration and you get a speed buff :D), and I myself was surprised that it managed to break my previous record with the ultimate hull. You however do need to max out the B5 Nova, E5 Furious Cyclops Engine, and T4 Refrigerator in order to utilize the over powered capabilities of the small fast hull... and maybe go some technology farming if you willing to break some records with it.
Some Tips You're Going To Need
1. If you want to make the game less of a grind make sure the get the achievements that give you rewards, such as the late game achievements (Lots of Material and Plasma!)
2. I know it seems quite stupid for the average noob, but once you have enough durability begin destroying enemy structures to improve your technology (Better stats!)
3. Jump whenever possible... you're going to find a lot more plasma
4. Always aim towards maxing agility and power, because faster runs mean more resources...
5. Conserve some of your materials and don't spend them on maxing your simple gear... I usually save up all of my gems until the 2nd last or so items... (Damn the candy drill is worth nearly 550 of each gem!)
P.S. - For the peeps that want to do the achievement to get to 500 depth in under 30 seconds, just use the fast hull... you will be EXTREMELY surprised.
I think it would be a cool idea if the color of your progress bar changes depending on the modules added as well as the progress bar sparkling every time you got a reward depending if you have shiny modules.
To easy the game play just replicate the sounds until you head on towards the next check point, and even counting the amount of times you've traveled around the circle in certain situations aids you A LOT.