Forums Kongregate

Exciting big time news! Kongregate's been acquired by GameStop! page 3 (locked)

1152 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by Zshadow:

Gamestop truly understands gaming. Glad to see more things will be added to the site, with more resources, and possibly a KONGREGATE COMMERCIAL? :3

Seriously, I want to spit out my cheerios one morning after seeing Greg do some sort of dance.

I will seriously start to buy kreds if a kong commercial features the beard….Not sure how they’d fit in though.

Flag Post

No way holy crap do we get any discounts?

Flag Post

No offense, but with your height, and if you were to cry, i think GameStop would ask John to stop bringing his child to work…

But then…JOHN USES BEARD!

IT’S SUPER EFFECTIVE!

Beard trumps all. :P

Flag Post

Gamestop truly understands gaming. Glad to see more things will be added to the site, with more resources, and possibly a KONGREGATE COMMERCIAL? :3

Seriously, I want to spit out my cheerios one morning after seeing Greg do some sort of dance.

How about this dance?

Flag Post

And i hope they don’t make alot of changes to the site, that would suck ass, I HATE change, that’s why I didn’t vote for Obama

Flag Post

I suppose any change that forces Jonathan to post is a good change indeed.

Flag Post

So do the gamestop owners also become admins?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Deadrights:

How about this dance?

Or this?

Originally posted by darkwrath123:

Probably, or just Mods like Jmtb02

Flag Post

Oh and please answer this, Will Kongregate still be free? :O Please keep it free….

Flag Post
Originally posted by Frogmanex:

I suppose any change that forces Jonathan to post is a good change indeed.

Yes, and it was me who got quoted by John!!!!

I feel all fuzzy…

Oh wait…that’s his beard again.

Flag Post
Originally posted by darkwrath123:

Oh and please answer this, Will Kongregate still be free? :O Please keep it free….

Yes, it will still be free.

Flag Post

First Kong is bought by gamestop next thing you know Greg in a Box and Rubber duckies….Wait they already made those?!

Flag Post
Originally posted by AlisonClaire:

As the title says, we’ve been acquired by GameStop! Jim Greer made a video about it with more information that you should watch here. This is really exciting news for everybody but we know can lead to some questions about what will happen to Kongregate as you know it (spoiler: basically nothing). We put together some answers to questions we thought you might have, but know you’ll probably have some more. Feel free to ask them in here and we’ll do our best to answer all of them.

BIG NEWS!

GameStop bought Kongregate. What does this mean for us?

Wait, what?

In technical terms, Kongregate has been acquired by GameStop as a wholly-owned subsidiary. In non-technical terms, this means that all your Kongregates are belong to GameStop.

All of them?

Yes. We also gave them 10,000 internets.

But I LOVE Kongregate!

We love you too, and so does GameStop! We decided to accept GameStop’s offer because they love us and love you, and want us to continue to be one big, happy family. No, really. GameStop likes us for who we are and is not looking to change Kongregate – they just want to help us grow and improve.

BUT WAITWUT ABT GERG?! Will he be replaced by a robot who is also really tall and makes 192387219873 badges a day?

To be fair, Greg isn’t the only Kong employee. But never fear, Kongregants, none of us are going anywhere. If anything, we’ll be inviting more people to the endless party that is Kong. They have to bring a side dish, though. This all goes back to the “GameStop <3’s Kong” thing we were talking about earlier.

So, uh, how much did Kong get bought for, anyway? Just sayin.

Not tellin’. :P No, really. The number is confidential.

Change is scary. What can I expect?

I have on good authority that we’re finally going to lose the “beta” tag. Past that, really not too much. GameStop resources will allow us to improve the site much more quickly, but we’re going to stay the same site that you have grown to know and lo- well, tolerate.

Seriously – Can we haz stufz?

ACTUALLY! We’re trying to hook you guys up with some rad stuff to reward the time and energy you put into Kongregate. The plan is to do this through GameStop’s PowerUp rewards program.

I have this “D” next to my name. Are things going to be different for me?

Not much! We’re not making any changes to our uploading process, or to the way our rev share works. However since GameStop has over 6,000 stores and a lot of customers, it’s pretty darn likely your games will be seen by even more people, and will generate more money! Speaking of which, thanks for the games. They’re pretty swell.

So…things are mostly staying the same?

Yep! We’ve had a lot of cool stuff planned for the site and for you guys for a while now, and now that we’re with GameStop it’ll get done a lot faster. Other than that, business as usual.

BUT I HAVE A QUESTION!

Yes, you may use the restroom. Oh, it wasn’t that? Well then ask us in this thread and we’ll do our best to answer it.

Is there anything else? Or can I go now?

Well…there is one thing.

WE LOVE YOU.

This site is pretty cool, we admit, but we really think that most of what makes it awesome is the people on it. Whether you’re providing us with amazing games, helping to keep the site clean, or just helping by being around and being awesome, this site wouldn’t be anything without you guys. So thanks for helping to make the site what is is, and we hope you’ll stick around with us for this next exciting chapter of The Kongregate Adventure©.

WOOOT WE GET THAT POWER UP THING AND I CAN GET COD BLACK OPS WOOOOOO

Flag Post

I’m partially concerned and partially happy. Something about this just makes me feel a little uncomfortable. Perhaps because I liked it when Kong was an independent company. Meh.

We’ll see what the future holds. Or I’ll zombify ducks. Ha. I’ll think of something.

Flag Post

If they promote them selfs here…

Flag Post

And i hope they don’t make alot of changes to the site, that would suck ass, I HATE change, that’s why I didn’t vote for Obama

Only good ones that we would have made anyway, now we’re just going to be able to make them faster!

Nope, they’re not going to be involved in the day to day on the site. That’s all left in the hands of the people who already do it.

Will Kongregate still be free? :O Please keep it free….

Yes.

Something about this just makes me feel a little uncomfortable. Perhaps because I liked it when Kong was an independent company. Meh.

I get that, corporations are fairly terrifying. All I can do is promise to show you that we’re the same people and will stay the same site and aren’t going to turn into a nameless, faceless cyborg plant.

Flag Post

…well, now you’ll be more serious, surely…

Flag Post

Well Molly’s gonna be really happy with all those games from gamestop, she be pimpin walking around school like " Yo my dads a part owner of Gamestop or something like that man I’m so pimpin"

Flag Post

Will Molly Greer get bigger presents for her birthday?

Flag Post

I get that, corporations are fairly terrifying. All I can do is promise to show you that we’re the same people and will stay the same site and aren’t going to turn into a nameless, faceless cyborg plant.

*cough splutter cough greg cough splutter*

Flag Post

I love gamestop.

So congratulations. I hope this goes well. :D

Flag Post
Originally posted by Vegard20:

Will Molly Greer get bigger presents for her birthday?

She’ll get a big sack of games from GameStop and a big sack of badges from Greg

Flag Post

Am I the only one that noticed Jim sticking his tongue out at the end of the video?

Flag Post

Probably.

Flag Post

…well, now you’ll be more serious, surely…

Uh, did you read the QA and watch the video? We included a rickroll. We are not getting more serious.