Forums Kongregate

Exciting big time news! Kongregate's been acquired by GameStop! page 4

1153 posts

Flag Post

Cool naice! Except.. Greg will still make the badges, right?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Deadrights:

Am I the only one that noticed Jim sticking his tongue out at the end of the video?

lol i noticed that but i’m not sure what he was doing, HE WAS POINTING THAT WET UN-BRUSHED PINK TOUNGE AT US! You sneaky…..You’re lucky you’re the owner of my fav site.

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheEtah:

Cool naice! Except.. Greg will still make the badges, right?

Yup.

Flag Post

Congratulations to everyone involved. It’s been a goal that took quite a ride to get to. I remember Jim mentioning offers of companies wanting Kongregate as their own way back in June 2007 in our cab ride to the hotel in Portland. Jim and Emily have always had a really clear vision of what Kongregate is. They’ve had offers throughout its entire existence, likely before most folks even started using the site. They wouldn’t have done this unless it was good for everyone. The site, the employees, the developers, and the players.

Knowing that, I think this will be a really awesome new age :)

Flag Post

I noticed the ants climbing his back.

Flag Post
Originally posted by AlisonClaire:

…well, now you’ll be more serious, surely…

Uh, did you read the QA and watch the video? We included a rickroll. We are not getting more serious.

Pro-tip.

Rickrolls don’t work as well when you say “We included a rickroll in the video”

Flag Post

Kongratz Kongregate for being acquired by GameStop!

Originally posted by Ducklette:

Edit: Just so you know, ducks are immune to zombification. Have you ever seen a zombie duck? I think not.

Flag Post

FUDGE I JUST GOT RICKROLLED. o_o

Flag Post
Originally posted by Laxaria:

I’m partially concerned and partially happy. Something about this just makes me feel a little uncomfortable. Perhaps because I liked it when Kong was an independent company. Meh.

We’ll see what the future holds. Or I’ll zombify ducks. Ha. I’ll think of something.

I more or less feel the same. While I’m sure this will help Kong in some ways, and I realize Jim put a lot of thought into this decision, I’ve seen to many formerly good indie sites turned into corporate shit within a few years of getting bought out despite talking the good talk to not be at least mildly suspicious.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Deadrights:

Am I the only one that noticed Jim sticking his tongue out at the end of the video?

LOL I didn’t really notice that, HE’S STICKING HIS DIRTY SMELLY UN-BRUSHED WHITE AND PINK TOUNGE AT US, YOU SNEAKY…….You’re lucky you’re the owner of my fav site.

Flag Post

Congratulations guys and girls,you should be very proud – this is big news!

Flag Post

I’ve been with Kongregate almost three years now and, though I’ve not been the most vocal member in recent day, I’ve still been very active. Over the time I’ve been here I’ve seen Kongregate grow and change quite a bit. I watched when Kongai was released. I defended the implantation of the Kreds system. I saw the advent of Collabs. And, most infamously to me, I was here when the nav bar changed (oh change…). I’ve seen staff added and I’ve seen staff leave. I was here when forum ads appeared. I even got rickrolled to earn a card once.
If there’s one thing I’ve noticed through everything that’s happen to this site, it’s that the staff know what they’re doing. I remember reading a forum post by Jim a few moons ago explaining that they received many offers to buy the site, but he didn’t think the time was right to sell and none of the buyers were the right ones to sell to. If they’ve made a deal with Gamestop, I am confident they made sure the integrity of Kongregate would not be destroyed. I for one think this is great news.

And yes, I am fully aware of how corny this sounds. It’s the best way I could put this. Just go look at Gregcat or something.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Procyonpi:
Originally posted by Laxaria:

I’m partially concerned and partially happy. Something about this just makes me feel a little uncomfortable. Perhaps because I liked it when Kong was an independent company. Meh.

We’ll see what the future holds. Or I’ll zombify ducks. Ha. I’ll think of something.

I more or less feel the same. While I’m sure this will help Kong in some ways, and I realize Jim put a lot of thought into this decision, I’ve seen to many formerly good indie sites turned into corporate shit within a few years of getting bought out despite talking the good talk to not be at least mildly suspicious.

Exactly. There isn’t much that we as a playerbase can do, but it would be disappointing to see how corporate buy-outs and a general shift in focus as a result of changing directions leaves the community.

I think the best example is CasualCollective, where the turning of focus to developing games on Facebook has effectively shattered the existing community.

We can trust the staff, but only the future will tell.

Flag Post

Rickrolls don’t work as well when you say “We included a rickroll in the video”

FUDGE I JUST GOT RICKROLLED. o_o

MUAHAHA.

While I’m sure this will help Kong in some ways, and I realize Jim put a lot of thought into this decision, I’ve seen to many formerly good indie sites turned into corporate shit within a few years of getting bought out despite talking the good talk to not be at least mildly suspicious.

Honestly, we have too. That’s why we were so picky and careful about all of this. I feel sort of ridiculous just repeating the same stuff, but all I can say is that I know and trust Jim and Emily, and they would never accept an offer that left Kong in any danger of becoming “corporate shit.”

Flag Post
Originally posted by finkidz5:

One would expect this would bring more popularity to the site. Now, we (at least those I’ve spoken too) know that whenever the site reaches about 45,000+ people online, it starts to run slow, etc. Is the server or whatever going to be upgraded to prevent this, or are we Kongregators just gonna have to deal with it?

Oh crap that’s a good topic, I hope it doesn’t start getting over crowded.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Badgy_McBadger:

Also, i re-iterate my earlier post.

How much did they pay?

1 Billion Kreds, change that somewhere into dollars or euros.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Badgy_McBadger:

Also, i re-iterate my earlier post.

How much did they pay?

Reading skills. You don’t has them:

So, uh, how much did Kong get bought for, anyway? Just sayin.

Not tellin’. :P No, really. The number is confidential.

Flag Post

I have to admit that I’m really wary of this, despite the fact of the assurances that nothing will change. The simple fact is that change is going to be inevitable in this case.

I extremely dislike Gamestop as a company b/c of their shady business tactics intended to squeeze every possible penny out of a game and their customers. In all of my experiences with Gamestop, none of their employees have been gamers at all, and have known absolutely nothing about gaming. It was b/c of the general incompetence and money grubbing that I finally stopped giving them my business (thankfully the market has expanded which has made their tactics easier to avoid.)

My take on this is that since Gamestop has bought Kongregate, they are going to look for a return on their investment. It’s good that they’re going to keep the current staff in place, and possibly even add more staff. But what happens when the new staff is added, and the profit margin isn’t up to their standards? It’s fine to leave something alone when it’s making enough money, but as soon as it dips below their standards, what’s to stop them from coming in and overhauling the entire system? Absolutely nothing.

Hopefully I’m being overly paranoid here, but when it comes to Gamestop, I worry that I’m not paranoid enough.

Flag Post

So is there going to be some kind of drunken celebration party? XD

Flag Post

Now, we (at least those I’ve spoken too) know that whenever the site reaches about 45,000+ people online, it starts to run slow, etc. Is the server or whatever going to be upgraded to prevent this, or are we Kongregators just gonna have to deal with it?

We will do absolutely everything we can to prevent this and, at the very least, fix it quickly if we get a giant influx we’re not totally prepared for it does happen. The benefit of having a company like GameStop behind us is that we can do things like upgrade our servers much, much faster than we would have before.

And yes, I am fully aware of how corny this sounds. It’s the best way I could put this.

Thank you for your post. Either someone’s randomly cutting onions in the office, or it made me tear up a bit.

How much did they pay?

As we said in that big QA section in the first post, the number’s confidential. What I can tell you is that it’s some number of dollars between 0 and infinity. But shhhh, keep that on the downlow.

Flag Post

What I can tell you is that it’s some number of dollars between 0 and infinity.

Oooooooooo, a guessing game!

Is it 100,000 dollars?

Flag Post

Congrats to the admins for making what is undoubtedly a boatload of cash.

Condolences to the users and enjoyers of the site, as this undoubtedly means the beginning of the end. GameStop not going to change anything? Call me cynical, but I have major trouble believing that.

Flag Post

I’m not sure whether to be happy or have a rage face.

Flag Post

Great, congrats. :)

Flag Post
Originally posted by AlisonClaire:
What I can tell you is that it’s some number of dollars between 0 and infinity.

Hey, at least that means you didn’t pay them to get acquired, they paid you.