Forums Kongregate

Exciting big time news! Kongregate's been acquired by GameStop! page 42 (locked)

1153 posts

Flag Post

Well, we’d hope to get there at some point, but we’re still pretty new to them. :) I don’t think it’s off the table though – I’d be surprised if they didn’t promote us in the stores at some point.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Phoenix00017:

Well, we’d hope to get there at some point, but we’re still pretty new to them. :) I don’t think it’s off the table though – I’d be surprised if they didn’t promote us in the stores at some point.

At least they advertised us on gamestop.com. It’s a start.

Flag Post

damn it , they aint gonna change the admins….

Flag Post

Does this mean that we will be seeing Kred cards in GameStop stores now?

Flag Post
Originally posted by darkfrogger:
Originally posted by RoguePilot:

This is groundbreaking guys, it knew when i was going to bathroom. Like seriously wtf how did it know!?!??!

lolwut?

I’m going to guess she was playing Amorphous+ and got the in-game achievement for leaving it paused for a couple minutes.

Originally posted by zachtorch:

Does this mean that we will be seeing Kred cards in GameStop stores now?

No; GameStop already offers “Ultimate Game Cards,” which can be redeemed for Kreds.

Flag Post

why did they buy kongregrate and how do you get icons

Flag Post

WTF I LOVE KONG AND GAMESTOP… SO THIS SITE = INVINCIBLE Kong used beta tag… mewtwo and beta tag faited… lol i like pokemon.

Flag Post

Gamestop bought kong 4

100,000,000,000$$!!!
kong pwns tht much. okay fine, 100,000,000,001.

Flag Post

i think- iknow this will be a big change in our moneymaking

Flag Post

game stop might charge for it

Flag Post

Think for a moment, you should be able to figure out why they won’t do that.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Immortal7777:

game stop might charge for it

How so? Then everybody would leave Kongregate and find another site(Newgrounds probably), they would lose millions on doing that..

Flag Post

Immortal7777, Gamestop won’t charge for this in a million years.

This site is basically advertising for them (and more IMPORTANTLY their business partners), and they won’t be dumb enough to drive away eyeballs.

At “worst” they may create a “Premium” section which is subscription based (but probably NOT). Even if they did, it would only be for stuff we wouldn’t be getting anyway (stuff from big gaming companies). They can’t and won’t take away the legions of other games people voluntarily upload here.

The idea behind them acquiring this place is obvious if you think about it. Go back to my statement about it being advertising for their business partners. We already saw this with the pre-Gamestop Kong. EA Games or some other company (it doesn’t even have to be a game company—see the recent White Castle example) sponsors a game, which is surrounded by ads, a contest, whatever. The company PAYS Gamestop for that honor, and that’s how they make money without charging US a dime. The tie in could be to an upcoming game being sold at Gamestop, to a brand (like White Castle), or anything.

Good for them.

Flag Post

well I for one would LOVE to see a giant company i trust and a easily adaptable bete(well not a beta anymore) and am willing to support anything you guys do. if we made this site this great, getting bigger’ll be better.

Flag Post

From the article Retailers Are ‘Parasites and Thieves’, it gives an idea why GameStop needed to branch out and buy Kongregate. tl;dr Publishers hate retailers like GameStop that promote selling their used games over the new ones. That just screams conflict of interest. The retailer gets all the profit if a used game gets sold, and publishers only get a cut when a new game gets sold. New games that don’t get sold are shipped back to the publishers (a loss to the publishers).

Flag Post

This thread has so many pages. It got popular so fast! O.O

Flag Post
Originally posted by Dever:

From the article Retailers Are ‘Parasites and Thieves’, it gives an idea why GameStop needed to branch out and buy Kongregate. tl;dr Publishers hate retailers like GameStop that promote selling their used games over the new ones. That just screams conflict of interest. The retailer gets all the profit if a used game gets sold, and publishers only get a cut when a new game gets sold. New games that don’t get sold are shipped back to the publishers (a loss to the publishers).

While I totally understand and see this point, those big Publishers aren’t exactly the ‘good guys’ either. Everything else has a used market, why should games be any different? the business model as it stands just needs to change…

Oh yeah! That’s what this is all about. :) Digital distribution.

Flag Post

Yeah, I’m not a fan of the big publishers either because they try to bypass the first sale doctrine (and use other tactics to control your product) like with some DRM and DLC. That’s why many prefer a physical copy if possible, so they don’t just have a license or key.

The interview specificly mentions brick and mortar retailers that sell used games, not the entire used game market. Although publishers would probably like to control the entire used game market, it doesn’t mention having a problem with people selling their used games on eBay. It’s only retailers that actively push their own products (the used games) over the new games they’re supposed to be selling. It’s a big middle finger to the publishers.

Digital distribution will help the publishers with some sales, but it’s currently not a replacement for retailers. If they learn to retail, then businesses like GameStop would be in big trouble.

Flag Post

What happened to Caesary?

Flag Post
Originally posted by happyman12:

What happened to Caesary?

How is that related to this topic in any way?

Flag Post

because the game stopped
GameStop/Gamestopped. get it?

Flag Post
Originally posted by zzul:

because the game stopped
GameStop/Gamestopped. get it?

Read this

Flag Post

so when are the rewards kicking in?

Flag Post

WOOT I LUV KONG AND GAMESTOP SO YAY!!!

Flag Post

One question… UK players don’t have gamestop, will they still get the rewards?