Forums Kongregate

Exciting big time news! Kongregate's been acquired by GameStop! page 44 (locked)

1152 posts

Flag Post

AWESOMENESS!!
I think i can trust gamestop with this :)

Flag Post

It’s been over a month since they bought Kongregate. Could you konguys show us some stats for the last 3 months to see if the population/games uploaded/stuff has increased much?

Flag Post

Oh man… It’s been about 3 months now and nothing has really changed. What evil has Gamestop brewed in their evil heads…
Ahem…
Yeah.
First EB Games, who were fine, now Kongregate. Oh God.
I hate Gamest-ALL HAIL THE MIGHTY HYPNO-“Oh wrong assimilation.” GLORY TO GAMESTOP “There we go!”

Flag Post

So what kind of changes will we get? Will there be a new layout? Will things be added and will things be removed?

Flag Post
Originally posted by inmonkeyness:

So what kind of changes will we get? Will there be a new layout? Will things be added and will things be removed?

Read the first post in this thread.

Flag Post

Bah… I can see some moron bumping this thread in 2014 and going “OMFG WUT THE HELL GAMESTOP SUX KONG WILL GO TO SHIT!!!”

I wish that bumps over 2 days would come with a message saying “Posting here may make you look like an obnoxious prick. If you have nothing important to add, do not post.”

Flag Post
Originally posted by sellyme:

Bah… I can see some moron bumping this thread in 2014 and going “OMFG WUT THE HELL GAMESTOP SUX KONG WILL GO TO SHIT!!!”

I wish that bumps over 2 days would come with a message saying “Posting here may make you look like an obnoxious prick. If you have nothing important to add, do not post.”

Not possible. We will all die in 2012.

Flag Post

Not possible. We will all die in 2012.

Not possible. Mayan prediction of 2012 is baloney.

Flag Post

Their calendar ends Dec 21st 2012. Our calendar ends December 31st every year. The world doesn’t end every year, does it? I think the guy writing the calendar just got lazy.

Flag Post

The world doesn’t end every year, does it?

Nope.
Personally I’ve always thought of the New Year as the rebirth of the Planet in some way.

Flag Post

I surely hope no one believes this site will stay the same… have you ever been into a gamestop? There can be 2 people in front of you to check out and it will take 45 mins to get out of the store because they try to sell you every little piece of hardware or game relevant to what you’re buying not to mention the constant reminder that you need to reserver this so called game because you won’t be able to find it.

GameStop is greedy and they want more money. I promise you that there are corporate exec’s at gamestop planning right now how they can charge you up the a$$ for everything you do on this site. It will be a slow takeover, but a takeover nonetheless

RIP Kongregate

Flag Post
Originally posted by ishkabibbles:

GameStop is greedy and they want more money. I promise you that there are corporate exec’s at gamestop planning right now how they can charge you up the a$$ for everything you do on this site. It will be a slow takeover, but a takeover nonetheless

You shouldn’t be making promises when you obviously have no idea how the business of flash gaming works. “charge you up the a$$ for everything you do on this site” is not a solid business strategy, no one would keep playing here when there are free alternatives.

One thing I think would be safe to promise here is that there are GameStop employees continuing the route of microtransactions, and advertisement campains like they have been doing.

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheDavidCarney:

You shouldn’t be making promises when you obviously have no idea how the business of flash gaming works. “charge you up the a$$ for everything you do on this site” is not a solid business strategy, no one would keep playing here when there are free alternatives.

One thing I think would be safe to promise here is that there are GameStop employees continuing the route of microtransactions, and advertisement campains like they have been doing.

So what your saying is, nothing is changing? Only more advertisements? So basically were getting worse than what we had before?

Flag Post

Will GameStop try to use the games which developers have uploaded for free and try to make full-fledged games off their ideas behind developers’ backs?

Flag Post
Originally posted by VectorxMan:

Will GameStop try to use the games which developers have uploaded for free and try to make full-fledged games off their ideas behind developers’ backs?

No, Gamestop do not create games. If they did do that though I’m pretty sure there is some law that will prevent this.

Flag Post
Originally posted by dinoman979:

So what your saying is, nothing is changing? Only more advertisements? So basically were getting worse than what we had before?

facepalm “Advertising campaigns” doesn’t necessary mean the advertisements you see everyday. See tickets, zombies vs survivors, the forge medal for examples. All of them are “advertising campaigns”, and would getting more of these events be “worse”?

Flag Post

“So what your saying is, nothing is changing? Only more advertisements? So basically were getting worse than what we had before?”
What I’m saying is trying to charge people for something that is widely available as free will NOT happen as it would be business suicide.

Flag Post

GameStop is greedy and they want more money.

Business Profits 101.

I promise you that there are corporate exec’s at gamestop planning right now how they can charge you up the a$$ for everything you do on this site.

I dunno, I find fairly reasonable deals at the store itself. The rest of the prices are pretty standard; which I can’t really say as much about places like Best Buy. Still, I don’t think that’s totally relevant, just a possibility.

In any case, you forget that developers make most of the content here, so the decision so far has largely been up to the casual game development community. Kongregate is primarily a portal, with a few select premium games and exclusive sponsorships. Most of the patterns this site follows have been set by developers not associated in any way with a company like GameStop; so it’s subsidizing Kongregate doesn’t exactly mean it possesses godlike powers over the entire Flash game dev community.

It doesn’t mean nothing bad can happen of course, but it means people should generally chill on predictions, especially if they dont really have intimate knowledge of how this particular industry runs.

RIP Kongregate

I think I should mention that all doomsayers up to this point have been shown to be pretty foolish and overly dramatic and are either missing out on the site updates or are eating their words. Cautious skepticism is good, matter of fact prophesying may not be.

Flag Post

So, to all of those people saying all of the bad stuff, I’ve seen no negatives happen yet, only positives. Raw got hired to be an assistant of greg for more badges and challenges, maintenance updates have made the site run smoother, and so on.

Flag Post
Most of the patterns this site follows have been set by developers not associated in any way with a company like GameStop; so it’s subsidizing Kongregate doesn’t exactly mean it possesses godlike powers over the entire Flash game dev community.

Stole the words out of my… fingers.

The day something ‘bad’ happens out of all this, then you guys can complain. Being angry over something that hasn’t even happened is like denying a gift because you suspect it is full of live bees. Even if you have reason to believe the box is full of bees, it could very well be full of kittens. Or diamonds.

Flag Post

Hey, it’s a paranoia, but it’s a somewhat healthy one ;) Also the kittens definitely have worms and the diamonds are probably stolen…

What I wanna know is when we are gonna see that 30% more awesomesauce the cautiously optimistic crowd suspected after hearing the big news and in what form it’s gonna surface.

Flag Post

Can you eventually tell us how much Gamestop bought Kong for? I’m willing to wait for years, I just want to know.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Clobclark:

Can you eventually tell us how much Gamestop bought Kong for? I’m willing to wait for years, I just want to know.

I don’t think they will ever reveal as I think it can damage the value of Kong. There is a rough estimate of how much it was sold for somewhere but I can’t remember where.

Flag Post

GameStop is a public company so the number will be released at some point, I believe.

Flag Post

GameStop is a public company so the number will be released at some point, I believe.

Yayayay