Forums Kongregate

Exciting big time news! Kongregate's been acquired by GameStop! page 5 (locked)

1152 posts

Flag Post

Originally posted by AlisonClaire:
What I can tell you is that it’s some number of dollars between 0 and infinity.

As long as it is OVER 9000!!!!!!

Flag Post

kongratz, that sounds like an awesome deal, good luck to all of you!

ps. is rickroll beta only ? ;)

Flag Post

How will this affect gamestop?

Flag Post
Originally posted by ChampNorris:

Maybe they might have their game makers turn some of the games created by some Kong members into a game for one of the systems?

Flag Post

Congrats guys!

Flag Post

That would be awesome. :D

Epic war on PS3, etc.

Though would they seriously do that?

Flag Post

So you’re getting more programmers, will this mean more updates/down for maintenance more?

Some of Jim Greer’s faces

Flag Post

Not Epic War, please…

Flag Post

That would be awesome. :D

Epic war on PS3, etc.

Though would they seriously do that?

Sounds more like a game Microsoft could put in their arcade shop…
It would just ruin the PS3.

Flag Post

Perhaps we’ll see Kredit Kards being sold at Gamestop?

Flag Post

Does this mean prizes from competitions will be easier to deliver now? Just walk into your local gamestop and pick it up…

Also, I foresee being able to purchase kongai cards instore.

Flag Post
Originally posted by videogames518:

Maybe they might have their game makers turn some of the games created by some Kong members into a game for one of the systems?

I doubt it since Gamestop doesn’t actually have an facilities that could possibly produce games, they’re just a retail chain who gets their games pre-packaged from other companies. All the original post said was that some of the games could get more exposure due to this, probably implying that Gamestop will have in store commercials and gameplay videos for Kongregate and the games. Possibly even demos, but I doubt that since the PC games section has shrunk down to about a cubic foot in their stores, and putting a PC in there for demos would just about double that.

Flag Post

This is the beginning of the end of the start… :o Nice one!

Flag Post

No rick roll for me Kong admins Hahaha!!! found out how much Kong got here http://tinyurl.com/2m8nrg

Flag Post
Originally posted by Fricknmaniac:

I have to admit that I’m really wary of this, despite the fact of the assurances that nothing will change. The simple fact is that change is going to be inevitable in this case.

I extremely dislike Gamestop as a company b/c of their shady business tactics intended to squeeze every possible penny out of a game and their customers. In all of my experiences with Gamestop, none of their employees have been gamers at all, and have known absolutely nothing about gaming. It was b/c of the general incompetence and money grubbing that I finally stopped giving them my business (thankfully the market has expanded which has made their tactics easier to avoid.)

My take on this is that since Gamestop has bought Kongregate, they are going to look for a return on their investment. It’s good that they’re going to keep the current staff in place, and possibly even add more staff. But what happens when the new staff is added, and the profit margin isn’t up to their standards? It’s fine to leave something alone when it’s making enough money, but as soon as it dips below their standards, what’s to stop them from coming in and overhauling the entire system? Absolutely nothing.

Hopefully I’m being overly paranoid here, but when it comes to Gamestop, I worry that I’m not paranoid enough.

Gamestop employees have not been gamers for you? o.O Where I live there are three gamestops pretty close to each other, two within walking distance. Every single one has some of the most nerdiest guys I’ve seen. I love talking to them, they tend to know quite a bit about games and game releases. They’ve also been really good about taking back 360s that were RRoD. Also walked in a couple times with a friend of mine who just couldn’t find the game he wanted (gamestop has a policy that if you return a game within a week it’s a full refund).

I think this is a great advancement for kongregate. I trust the staff and really do believe nothing but improvements will come out of this in the end.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Richard91:

No rick roll for me Kong admins Hahaha!!! found out how much Kong got here http://tinyurl.com/2m8nrg

WOW! I can understand why they took the offer. That’s a sick amount of money. O_O

Flag Post

I have a question though… If we get rewards, and I assume from Gamestop, whats going to stop people from making alts?

Flag Post
Originally posted by PlatypusMan:

I have a question though… If we get rewards, and I assume from Gamestop, whats going to stop people from making alts?

We have always had those tickets so I guess it’s just the same thing. :/

Flag Post

@PlatypusMan;
Something along the lines of IP limiting?
I dunno. Good question.

Flag Post

Wow.

Grats.

Flag Post

Excellent question.

We have always had those tickets so I guess it’s just the same thing. :/

Yes, but you virtually have no chance of winning those things. You would have to create hundreds of alts just to even think of the possibility of winning.

Flag Post

alt check the winners?

Flag Post

ALL OUR KONGREGATES BELONG TO GAMESTOP!?!

Flag Post

new policies? You have to collect them instore? (It would be a bit too much trouble to drive to 10 different stores to pick up a couple of rewards) You have to have joined kongregate for a certain amount of time?
Its harder to remain anonymous in rl than it is on the internet.

Flag Post

But I haven’t ever seen a Gamestop in this country…