Forums Kongregate

Exciting big time news! Kongregate's been acquired by GameStop! page 8

1149 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by Flooded:
Originally posted by Laxaria:

In all honesty, I doubt we’ll see significant change until a few months down the road. And I will really miss a close knit community if the site opens up and becomes more of a social site like Facebook than what it is now.

I want Kong to stay Kong, not Kong to become another AG/NG/FB

Yeah, having a main-stream of active forum users and close-knit chat rooms is why I came to Kongregate and not AG or NG. That and the fact that I can’t navigate the forums on AG and NG is… well bad.

It reminds me of what I said in the transition to SS2 from SS1

I played SS because I liked SS. I didn’t want to play another RS clone, AQ clone or WoW clone. I wanted SS.

Like Kong now. I don’t want another NG Clone, another Facebook Clone… I want Kong, and if I don’t get Kong, I become sad.

Flag Post

You know i agree with this, think of all the kids lying for age and then trash talk and think they are cool so they will hack into kong and the next thing you know kongregate will lose members, so if this happens im leaving.

Flag Post
Originally posted by EddieOwen:

I reckon we should all get special hearts next to our name, you know. ‘Cos we’re awesome.

ha yes this would be cool the people joined b4 this a star heart or something of we chose.

Flag Post

Somehow I think ‘more moderators’ is lower on the to-do list anyhow. But as long as this purchase and the site changes don’t bring about that sudden influx of new users everyone’s afraid of, I guess it’s not much of a problem for the time being.

It’s on the same place on my to-do list as it always is (read: very high). We know we need more mods now, and will definitely need a lot more as we grow, we also just need more time in the day.

Flag Post

I’m pessimist, but this will be the ruin of the free kongregate as we know. Gamestop is a real big brand, and as the others big brands want to make money out of this. I dont think the challenges will be “reach this score and get a 5$ or € bonus to spend on Gamestop games”. Probably more like: “hey folks! This game is good, pretty good, real damn good, here’s a level: if you want to play some more, buy the Kongregate’s magic pass. With only 10$ a month you can get all the flash games you can play!”… I really hope to be wrong.

Flag Post

I LOVE KONGREGATE TOO!

By the way, can we get a little more explanation about the potential rewards system? Sounds interesting… [/Obsessive former badgewhore]

Flag Post

Will the Kong admin we have now still have the same control over the site?

Flag Post
Originally posted by BlueSteamWolf:

I’m pessimist, but this will be the ruin of the free kongregate as we know. Gamestop is a real big brand, and as the others big brands want to make money out of this. I dont think the challenges will be “reach this score and get a 5$ or € bonus to spend on Gamestop games”. Probably more like: “hey folks! This game is good, pretty good, real damn good, here’s a level: if you want to play some more, buy the Kongregate’s magic pass. With only 10$ a month you can get all the flash games you can play!”… I really hope to be wrong.

Dude if this were to happen I would quit kong for good and itw ould be the worst site ever for flash games, i would have to go to AG or something or something else free! Gamestop is cool and all i go there alot when i visit the big city in my state and yeah they do always want money.

Flag Post
Originally posted by ParaNoir:

Will the Kong admin we have now still have the same control over the site?

Yes, they do.

Originally posted by sexyman3:
Originally posted by BlueSteamWolf:

Dude if this were to happen I would quit kong for good and itw ould be the worst site ever for flash games, i would have to go to AG or something or something else free! Gamestop is cool and all i go there alot when i visit the big city in my state and yeah they do always want money.

I’m pretty sure the Kongregate team wouldn’t sell to a company if they knew that would happen. Seriously, have more faith in the team >_>

Flag Post

I’m pretty sure that now Kongregate will be really famous we’ll be having tons of…..wait for it…..wait for it TROLLS

Flag Post

Intriguing… the admins might actually be able to pull off their dreams of being able to live entirely off of the internet like this. Also, it’ll pull in a lot more users. Perhaps trolls too, but… probably not.

EDIT: Goddamn ninjas.

Flag Post

Is this more like a Partnership? Because that’s what it sounds like. :/

Flag Post

http://www.geekosystem.com/kongregate-gamestop/
^says partnership. :P

We can only wait and see, but I think we’ll be having more of everything. :D

Flag Post
Originally posted by Vegard20:

Is this more like a Partnership? Because that’s what it sounds like. :/

In the strictest terms, we’re property of GameStop and belong to their company. However, you’re definitely picking up on what’s so great about this. We’re helping GameStop enter the market of online gaming, so it’s not just that we’re a tiny little pawn in their financial chess game. They’ve made it really clear to us that we’re important to them because of what we are now, and what we were already going to try to become on our own. In turn, they’re helping us to get there. It’s pretty sweet.

Originally posted by AlisonClaire:

Somehow I think ‘more moderators’ is lower on the to-do list anyhow. But as long as this purchase and the site changes don’t bring about that sudden influx of new users everyone’s afraid of, I guess it’s not much of a problem for the time being.

It’s on the same place on my to-do list as it always is (read: very high). We know we need more mods now, and will definitely need a lot more as we grow, we also just need more time in the day.

I wanted to add to this – we’re slow to churn out new mods not because we don’t consider them crucial to the well-being of the site, but because, well, we’ve got a lot to do and the process of picking the right people is pretty intensive. Improving site moderation is definitely one of the things that I hope to get out of this, so it’s definitely on our minds.

Flag Post

I wonder if gamestop will have demos of Kongregate games in their stores now, and if you can buy Kongregate Creds in Gamestop now

Flag Post

Maybe the announcement should be out on the front page?

Half the people which don’t use the forums have no idea this is happening.

Flag Post
Originally posted by ChampNorris:

Maybe the announcement should be out on the front page?

Half the people which don’t use the forums have no idea this is happening.

^this
I think they all should now. Maybe add it in the featured games box.

Flag Post

Or in the news section.

Anyway, well… How much will Gamestop try to affect you? Will they have their own admins here?

Flag Post

Also, more ingame ads. As if there wasn’t enough already. :/

Flag Post

Ah, the userbase needs to have more trust in Kongregate’s decision. :P This is awesome news. :)

Flag Post

Kongrates on the sale hope it does good to this site and it’s users, because if it doesn’t I am going to GameStop with a baseball bat. >:)

Also will Kongreagate “Kred cards” be a new thing selling at GameStop, and I would love a commercial.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Minnakht:

Or in the news section.

Anyway, well… How much will Gamestop try to affect you? Will they have their own admins here?

That has been answered, and the answer was no.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Sten123:

Ah, the userbase needs to have more trust in Kongregate’s decision. :P This is awesome news. :)

QFT.

Flag Post
Originally posted by 09Kisame09:
Originally posted by Sten123:

QFT.

I don’t see anything bad with this.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Vegard20:

Wow! Think about how crowded the Kongregate Party in 2011 is gonna be. O_O
Will it be held in some other place next year?

THERE WAS AN ELEVATOR?! ugggg. I walked up and down those stairs 5 times, lost.