Forums Kongregate

Exciting big time news! Kongregate's been acquired by GameStop! page 9 (locked)

1152 posts

Flag Post

I think this is a huge step for Kongregate.

Congrats to the staff, and I hope this turns out for the best.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Vegard20:
Originally posted by 09Kisame09:
Originally posted by Sten123:

Ah, the userbase needs to have more trust in Kongregate’s decision. :P This is awesome news. :)

QFT.

I don’t see anything bad with this.

Change is scary!

As Alison herself said. There is plenty reason to have doubt, and there’s a lot of potential for marvelous things to be done. We as the userbase should just have faith in the administrative team, and do what we do best by making this a kickass site!

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheDavidCarney:

Wow! Think about how crowded the Kongregate Party in 2011 is gonna be. O_O
Will it be held in some other place next year?

THERE WAS AN ELEVATOR?! ugggg. I walked up and down those stairs 5 times, lost.

The elevator is 200 years old. I don’t think it can take many people at once. :P

Flag Post

Wow! Think about how crowded the Kongregate Party in 2011 is gonna be. O_O
Will it be held in some other place next year?

THERE WAS AN ELEVATOR?! ugggg. I walked up and down those stairs 5 times, lost.

You didn’t miss anything. I’ve been in some pretty sketchy situations before, but my life felt immediately threatened while on that elevator.

Flag Post

The elevator is 200 years old. I don’t think it can take many people at once. :P

I’m only one person, and a light one.

I am really excited for this, I trust the Greers business sense (obviously they know what they are doing, lookw ehere Kong has come from nothing!) and I’m excited they are going to have all this money to play with. More Game Art/Music Collabs contests now? ;) Please? Yeah?

Flag Post

Will I still get the benefits seen as though I live in the UK where there isn’t GameStop?

Flag Post

Ha! I thought this was a joke when I first saw it. :^) But I guess it isn’t. Kong should be proud of itself.

Although I do predict there are more changes than just the beta tag leaving. Hopefully they are positive.

Flag Post

::Brain-splosion::

How unexpected. o_o’

I as well hold some slight skepticism about the capabilities of a large, heartless, national, video-game super-giant, but to be honest the skepticism can only go as far as the contract of the acquisition. I would have faith that the Greers, and Gerg’s magical guiding spirit, did what they would be able to contractually and legally to preserve as much influence, power, and rights as they could for themselves, in order to maximize the deal from their point of view in which they receive more publicity and more funding with the least overbearing, unwanted change. GameStop may own the website as a complete subsidiary, no one else owning it partially, but this does not mean that they still do not have to abide by whatever contractual agreement I hope that the Greers and their associates put in place.

That having been said, since Kongregate, to Gamestop, is not just another advertising hub to leech money out of, there should not be, and I sure hope they wouldn’t crush the website with endless promotions and advertisements and the forcible shoving of other crap down our throats. If a commodity of a company has any level of importance, it is paramount that they maintain the site so that it functions in the most profitable way possible, which means holding on to its user base and pleasing them by whatever means that they see fit. I don’t think it would be in Gamestop’s interest to trash what they probably just spent a hefty sum of money on.

Yes, I know, there’s a lot of things that large corporations can get wrong, and a lot of things that higher ups think will be so great when everyone else knows it shant be, yet in the end it is implemented anyway. As we move onward us ‘oldies’ might begin to get the feeling that the site has become too massive, expansive, and crowded, if that happens to be the way the company goes, or we may lose the sense of “This is our Kongregate” as outside forces begin to influence things, despite repeated assurances that they will not. But hey, ya never know, the opposite is, more or less, just as likely.

All in all, with the extremely limited knowledge we all have apart from the administration itself, there really are no predictions that we can make. We don’t know the contractual terms, we can’t see into what the long term plans of the companies are, all we know is that it happened and that the few people who have had exclusive control over this website for the past four years have assured us as their user base that such a corporate acquisition will not destroy the things we love about Kongregate.

They publically believe, and I hope they did everything in their power to secure, that Kongregate will remain itself, but shall now have more resources to make itself even better. After all, they are the people who made this site, and I highly doubt they all want to cash out after just four years and leave to strangers what they put their heart and soul into developing.

Change always has potential danger, but for better or for worse, we shall see what turns the company makes. In the meantime, instead of plaguing ourselves with outlandish predictions that we’d be hard-pressed to ground in reality thanks to our limited knowledge of this particular deal, it simply is worth noting that our favorite heartless big-money capitalist publically-traded corporations don’t screw everything up, and that it is just as (if not more) likely as not that Kongregate shall be as snazzy as it has been and gain even more bodacious, pulchritudinous snazz as it moves forward.

This Textwall is dedicated to Vegard <3

Flag Post

This is really exciting! I can’t wait to see what Kongregate gets out of this. Of course, there’s the potential that everything goes terribly terribly wrong, but I’m hoping for the best.

The part about tangible rewards made me jizz rainbows and unicorns.
Also, no mention on Gamestop yet :(

Flag Post

I’m only one person, and a light one.

I am really excited for this, I trust the Greers business sense (obviously they know what they are doing, lookw ehere Kong has come from nothing!) and I’m excited they are going to have all this money to play with. More Game Art/Music Collabs contests now? ;) Please? Yeah?

This is how it looked like, if you saw something similar :P
EDIT: that was a bit bigger than I thought…

Flag Post

will kongregate be advertised on tv or anything because of this?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Devlini:

Will I still get the benefits seen as though I live in the UK where there isn’t GameStop?

This. :3

Flag Post

I thought this would be a joke until a few posts down…

Flag Post
Originally posted by MaistlinRajere:

Will it be called KongreStop? GameGregate maybe?

How about Kongregate. Pretty catchy, eh?

Flag Post

This is great news :D

It’s going to be weird not to see the little beta tag anymore though…

Flag Post
This Textwall is dedicated to Vegard <3

aww<3
It was such a great textwall too. Nothing I disagreed with. :)

Flag Post

kongregatulation.. now where is the big party (aka FREE BAGDE)

Flag Post

Posted up on OverclockersClub :)

Flag Post

Okay, I have to know. What does GameStop hope to gain by this? I know everybody is pushing for the casual market nowadays, but what market is there in Kongregate? I’ll bet anybody all the credits I have that GameStop is going to limit what people can do on here unless they pay. You have to admit, it’s exactly what you would expect from GameStop.

Flag Post
Originally posted by fst6:
Originally posted by MaistlinRajere:

Will it be called KongreStop? GameGregate maybe?

How about Kongregate. Pretty catchy, eh?

Very catchy indeed.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Drakedurbin:

Okay, I have to know. What does GameStop hope to gain by this? I know everybody is pushing for the casual market nowadays, but what market is there in Kongregate? I’ll bet anybody all the credits I have that GameStop is going to limit what people can do on here unless they pay. You have to admit, it’s exactly what you would expect from GameStop.

Same thing old kong got from it.

Flag Post

Why did this happen when Greg was on his Honeymoon? Does he know that GameStop bought Kongregate?

Flag Post

I’d expect we’ll see more games with microtransactions, but that would have happened anyway. That’s got to be the main growth market, because the other revenue source (ads) doesn’t have much potential for growth.

But I’d give a 0% chance of anything happening with the vast majority of the games on here. There’ll just be more kred-needing games (which, again, was going to happen anyway…)

I think, anyway.

Flag Post

I disagree. It’s becoming more and more apparent that the subscription model just won’t work for flash. What I think you can expect to see would be a big push in Kreds. I think out of everything Kong offers, Kreds are the future of the website, and what Gamestop would be interested in.

Personally, I’m interested in what the deal will mean for developers! Maybe this will give more devs and ‘in’ to get their games to blow up on a massive scale. Some games should have been more viral than they were, and the only way to really make it HUGE is for games to go viral. I’m looking forward to seeing what happens with Gamestop possibly advertising.

Flag Post

So, um, does this mean that points might possibly be redeemable? You know, 10,000 points gets you a PS3, 25,000 some kind of money, whatever.

I ask for, um, completely non-personal reasons.

(rubs his 69,000 points gently)