Forums Kongregate

since the "attack" came from kongregate

17 posts

Flag Post

I’m sure it was nothing but I like to make sure when it comes to the files I store on my machine…(they are not illegal they are just super sensitive materials)

about 5 mins ago I was prowling through my firewall

I received a report of a MSSQL_Null_PACK_DOS attack. I’m sure it was nothing. But I want to be sure and would like to ask what specifically would cause this to happen.

Please be as specific as possible thanks!

Flag Post

Ok no response yet its been almost a day now and no one from kongregate has anything to say about should I assume someone was meddling where they weren’t supposed to be….or is there still a valid reason and you guys don’t want to confirm my beliefs for some reason.

Flag Post

Your an idiot, could have been many things. A website as big as kongregate is not going to hack you….

Paranoid or what? I bet you wear tin foil hats so that aliens cant read your mind.

Flag Post

Thats an odd error, Phatcat… Does your firewall documentation describe what a MSSQL_Null_PACK_DOS attack is? I’ve tried good ole’ google and I can’t find anything on it. Or is it an incoming connection that is attempting to use the MSSQL port (1433)? Has it happened often or just the once? Did it occur during your usage of the site, or was it at a time when you wouldn’t have been on Kongregate (sleep, what’s that?)?

I’m not a actionscript guy at all, but do the games uploaded to Kongregate have the ability to attempt connections such as this? If it’s possible, I need to buy myself one of those hats (they’re listening right now…. shhhh)

Flag Post

Here is a simple explaination here…

One of the games you played obvioulsy uses an MSSQL database to record something, for some reason it attempted to connect your computer to access the database. This is probably some old code that should have been taken out.

It does no damage even if you have no firewall.

Dont bother reading your firewall logs, you will only scare yourself.

Flag Post

Timpayne there in no need to be an ass, and I check my firewall logs often because i’m legally obligated to do so(none of your business)
And do I honestly think that kongregate tiself would want to hurt me NO do i think the developers could want to YES.

Tmc701 and yes that is what I think happened but i always get really nervous when i’m getting hacking attempt message on my machine…

Flag Post

there was every need to be an ass, your paranoia set you up for this one…

Flag Post

So what does your ass-ness set you up for? The man’s just trying to protect his super sensitive materials. Your account hasn’t even been active for half a day, I would chill out if I were you.

Flag Post

I made the account JUST to respond to this thread.

Flag Post

Well Phatcat, I can tell you sure sure that it’s not something that anyone at Kongregate did. I fully expect that you’ve just run into a harmless anomaly, but if you can figure out what game triggered the attack, we’ll look into it.

When you say ‘attack’ though, what exactly to you mean? Are you sure this wasn’t just a poorly coded glitch? The vast majority of our games are created by amateur programmers, and it’s far more likely that you just ran into a snag of bad code than a malicious attack.

Flag Post

Also, sorry for not offering you an answer sooner Phatcat, I hadn’t noticed the thread until another staff member brought it to my attention this morning.

Flag Post

Well it wasn’t form an amateur coder thats for sure it was….organ plays DrneroCF (he codes games “yes he does”) huh, gasps

Yea this anomaly occurred while I was started the game Nuclear Eagle. You may want to know I had noticed that my previously saved game data had apparently been erased because I was no longer able to play city mode in Nuclear Eagle.

And I called it an “attack” because it was seen as an illegal intrusion on my network. I didn’t really have another word for it so I put quotations marks around it to signify unclarity as to what it really was.

Flag Post

Intruder: 65.74.171.4(http(80)). (you guys)

Risk Level: Low. I already knew that

Protocol: TCP. Huh NO WAI

Attacked IP: HOUSE (192.168.2.2) ZOMG MY IP…not really

Attacked Port: ms-sql-s(1433). Bingo

Flag Post

I’m still learning ActionScript, but I could tell you this: Most (if not all) Flash games that have a save feature store the data on your computer. This will probably occur when playing games like “Newgrounds Rumble.”

I’m not entirely sure of this, It’s just what I understand. Also, if a game is not saving, try right-clicking the game, then selecting options. This will take you to a menu that should say: “How much data can local storage save on your computer?” You then select how much. Hope this helps.

Flag Post

most fash games that enable you to return to a previous level store data locally on your machine.

i’m not having problems with game saving I know why the data was gone because I erased it

Flag Post

TimPayne said: “Your an idiot

Man, I want a shirt with this across the front of it so bad!

Flag Post

petesahooligan: It’s not quite “Your an idiot” and it may be slightly offensive, but there is this one.