Forums Kongregate

New Kongregate Version: CR 2010.08.25

157 posts

Flag Post

Alright – now that we’ve gotten this whole acquisition thing out of the way, it’s time to get back to business as usual and provide some cool new features for our users! Today we have an awesome change that we’ve made with a perhaps subtle, but substantial, improvement.

We’ve moved to asynchronous loading of ads on our pages. So, what on earth does that mean? Well, previously, pages would load from the top down, so any ads near the top of the page would need to be loaded before you could see the rest of the page. Now we allow ads to load at the same time as the page content, and whenever anything is ready we display it. The good news is that page content is often much faster to load than the ads, so the overall speed of the site content appearing is significantly increased, by over a full second in many cases (which, for those of you who browse the site a lot, will really start to add up very quickly).

I put together, using the excellent visual page load comparison tool at WebPageTest.org, a video to compare the sequential and asynchronous versions of the site. Note that in the comparison video the asynchronous images are actually from our slower test server, so you may see even faster overall performance. Also, this is using a non-cached version of the site, so in general the load times shown here are longer than most of our users will experience.

Beyond that, we’ve made some security fixes (including SSL logins now), have an improved (and slightly redesigned) spinner sprite, and a few other little tweaks and fixes. Check out all the details in the changelog below, though you can also view the full (non-incremental) one at any time here.

As always, please feel free to add comments, questions, and suggestions to this thread.

Flag Post

CR 2010.08.25

Developers:
- We’ve updated the text on the ad and kred revenue reports to now correctly note that there are multiple payout thresholds (it still said it would always happen at $25).

Users:
- The biggest change for this release is very exciting for us: we’ve changed from sequential to asynchronous loading of ads on the page. What does this mean? You no longer have to wait for the ad at the top of the page to load for the page content to appear. This can reduce loadtimes on pages by over a second in many cases – check out the comparison video to see the significant improvement. (A quick note though: this new method has some limitations, and it is not enabled for IE6 or IE7 on game pages)

- Fixed a bug for guests where the badge-earned tab wasn’t popping up over the Welcome tab in Chrome.
- Here’s one you can “blame” on GameStop. They did a survey of our security and asked us to start using SSL logins when you enter your username and password. Darn you GameStop for helping us become more secure! ;-)
- Changed our various spinners and loaders to run off of one sprite. This reduces the number of downloads and is generally more efficient. A side effect of this is that we moved to a new, linear loading “spinner” in order to match the same number of frames as the smaller spinners. Please note that in no way are we circlist. We like circles too, heck, my best friend is a circle!
- Fixed a bug with mouse-overs in the profile pages on badges not correctly updating the badge details.
- Re-added the “private” tag next to private messages in your “sent messages” view. Not sure when/why it disappeared in the first place, but it’s back now. :)
- Changed the purchase flow logic for PayPal to detect if you have canceled your billing agreement with us (that is, removed your account info to no longer allow one-click purchasing).
- Fixed a race condition that would occasionally not show how many kreds were transferred in a purchase on IE7.
- Patched up a security hole in chat that would allow potential execution of malicious code.
- Added an autocomplete for our admins when hand-awarding missing badges. Ok, so that doesn’t really affect you at all, but the admin team is really excited about how much time that can save. :) (previously we had to go through a chronological dropdown of all badges/challenges ever to find it!)
- Added whitespace suppression to our UGC submission form. A few users were reporting issues redeeming UGC cards when they put spaces (which were printed on the card) in the code.

- OCD Fix: Increased the size limit on our custom pages. All this really means is that my changelog will no longer be continually munched from the end each time I post something new. w00t! Seriously though, did anyone besides Ventero even notice that months of changes were missing from the bottom?

Flag Post

Sounds Good to Me.

Flag Post

This changelog made me poop a little.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Spaghedeity:

This changelog made me poop a little.

I uh…that’s just gross dude. I’m sorry I had a part in that…

Flag Post

I was kind of wondering why the update list broke off at the bottom. I thought it was intentional. ;)

And is there any chance of combining kreds + ad rev payouts ever in the future?

EDIT: Asynchronous ads = lower payments cause the ads show up for less time/load possibly after the user has scrolled down passed it? or not?

Flag Post

Here’s one you can “blame” on GameStop. They did a survey of our security and asked us to start using SSL logins when you enter your username and password. Darn you GameStop for helping us become more secure! ;-)

Curse you GameStop!

Flag Post

Now that I’ve just discovered that there even was a /pages/changelog, is there a list of the other /pages/, so that I can satisfy my nosey attitude curiosity?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Deadrights:

Here’s one you can “blame” on GameStop. They did a survey of our security and asked us to start using SSL logins when you enter your username and password. Darn you GameStop for helping us become more secure! ;-)

Curse you GameStop!

Relevant, right? Besides, it’s cute. Everything needs a little cute.

Flag Post

Wow, the page take now MUCH longer to load.
Let’s visit ArmorG while Kong loads yawn

Flag Post

UnknownGuardian – As far as I know this won’t affect the remnant ad value, but we’ll certainly keep an eye on it. At the same time, faster page loads yields a better user experience and often increases user engagement and registration, so even if there is a slight dip in the per-ad value it’s possible that overall ad revenue will increase (at least, that’s the hope!). I think we would like to combine kreds + ad rev payouts, but it’s fairly complicated on a coding/accounting level so it’s still kind of on the back burner. I’m not promising it, but it’s on our radar.

microchip08 – There is not a user-viewable list of pages because there are tons of them and many are not relevant or out of date. It’s basically just a way for us to create a custom page for an announcement, promotion, or something persistent like this changelog. Perhaps we can put together a list of interesting pages sometime in a forum thread, but there’s nothing automatically populated that’s available.

TheAznSensation – Yup, definitely cute, and cute is always good, in small doses. :)

DeepClaw – Uh…what? Seriously, are you seeing longer loads, or just joking?

Flag Post

This may or may not be the cause of the problem, but in Kongregate chatrooms, I am unable to say anything other than random jumbles of letters and numbers.

Flag Post

No less lag for me. Still between 6.5 and 6.9 seconds to load that page for me.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Detrinex:

This may or may not be the cause of the problem, but in Kongregate chatrooms, I am unable to say anything other than random jumbles of letters and numbers.

The fix is in this thread

Patched up a security hole in chat that would allow potential execution of malicious code.

oh. Interesting.

Flag Post

http://cdn4.kongregate.com/images/presentation/feature_bottom_separator.gif will not load for me btw.

Edit: Nevermind.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Tukkun:

No less lag for me. Still between 6.5 and 6.9 seconds to load that page for me.

Load what page, Tukkun? Also, the total page load time won’t have changed, just the time for the site content to appear.

Also, what is that link used for?

Flag Post

Phoenix, ur link to webpagetest.org is broke. You forgot the http://

Flag Post

My Internet connection is epic fail today. I should stop blaming GameStop for that.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Laxaria:

But it takes you to http://www.kongregate.com/forums/1-kongregate/topics/WebPageTest.org .

Why does it need http:// ?

Page is broke anyway.

Flag Post
- Changed our various spinners and loaders to run off of one sprite. This reduces the number of downloads and is generally more efficient. A side effect of this is that we moved to a new, linear loading “spinner” in order to match the same number of frames as the smaller spinners. Please note that in no way are we circlist. We like circles too, heck, my best friend is a circle!

R.I.P. loading-circle. :,(

Flag Post
Originally posted by ChampNorris:
Originally posted by Laxaria:

But it takes you to http://www.kongregate.com/forums/1-kongregate/topics/WebPageTest.org .

Why does it need http:// ?

Page is broke anyway.

Because http://webpagetest.org/ is an actual website?

The reason why it breaks because if you type:

<a href="webpagetest.org>Link</a>

And

<a href="http://webpagetest. org">Link</a>

They mean different things

Flag Post

Thanks for the fix Laxaria – definitely forgot the prefix as you pointed out. Link should work now. Also, good luck with formatting that. :)

Flag Post
Originally posted by Phoenix00017:

Thanks for the fix Laxaria – definitely forgot the prefix as you pointed out. Link should work now. Also, good luck with formatting that. :)

Shush you. Textile ftl. D:

Flag Post

I was right at the time. >.<

Flag Post

I think the line is much better looking.