Forums Kongregate

Game Categories

5 posts

Flag Post

As has been suggested here, game categories should be refined in order to help people find their games.
Here is a list of game categories and subcategories. Which do you think should be added, if any at all?

Flag Post

I don’t think it needs to be as detailed as the list on wikipedia, but more categories would be nice. I think that better chat is one of those things in the pipeline that may or may not be done soon. (Hint:Cardgame)

Flag Post

No, of course not all of these categories are needed.
I think that this will be much easier and faster to be implemented if we help choosing which ones to use.
1 vote for strategy category.

Flag Post

What, for games like Desktop TD? I feel it would be underfilled. Perhaps, instead, a defence category, with Desktop TD and Last Stand, and similar others.

Flag Post

Under filled is much better than over filled. I think the best approach would be to start with main categories, and then break them down into subcategories. This way if you want to look at all action games together you can, but if you only want action/adventure you can do that too. Gamerankings does a good job at this where you can pick from a drop down list that has main categories followed by subcategories.

I see no reason to limit the number of subcategories just because there are only a handful of games in them. Since each of these subcategories would belong to larger main categories, there won’t be too many groups to search through as you could start in the main category and work your way through to more specific groups, thereby narrowing what you are looking for and making it easier to find. Also there is no reason a game can’t be in more than one category so a game won’t be stuck only in one small obscure place. A game such as DTD could be in both action and strategy. Think of it more like tags, but set by the developer, to “describe” a game by listing the main/subcategories it belongs too. For this reason, the more categories you have, the better the “description” (ie list of groups that the game fits into).