Forums Kongregate

[Moderation] How to Become a Moderator 101

597 posts

Flag Post

Many of you (if not all) want to become a moderator, and ask on a daily basis on how to become one so I figured I would write a thread that could increase your chances (nothing is promised). To start….

1. Become a helpful member in the community, Answer questions new users might have, Help get the word out about Kongregate in general whether it be a brief conversation with friends or sending refferal links to those who know and dont have an account (you can do this by using the invite friend option in your profile).

2. Follow the rules; Yes I know you already do, but be extra cautious. Every little slip may or may not be held against you. I’m not saying act like a robot and do how your commanded, no, just have fun and be courteous to others. You will reap the benefits of this in life and your time here spent on Kongregate.

3. Be nice to Staff and other Moderators, They already have their foot in the door. So chances are they can help you get yours in to via recommendation by one. Im not saying go around and suck up to everyone, be cool with them and they’ll be cool with you. DONT go around and ask them for a recommendation otherwise it probably wont happen.

4. You all have the power to be moderating right now as we speak (sorry mike in advance). If you find an abusive user and there are no mods around and your to lazy to go find one (best chances are to go find one) you can use this link and select abusive users cool the chat logs may then be looked at or you might have mod sent to your room and action will be taken as deemed neccessary. You have to prove to be already moderating inorder to become one.

5. Dont ask to become a moderator,if you do, its pretty much slim to none that you’ll become one depending on how gracious Greg wants to be. This is a very important rule. You’ll be saving Greg and the rest of the mods a migrain in the long run too, and if your doing all I said in here your likely going to be remeber for your actions rather than what you’ve said.

6. PATIENCE… if your very serious about becoming a mod show your worth in this community and keep doing it. Im not saying everyone that follows this and in a way lives by it on Kongregate will become a mod, but you have significantly increased your chances. Remeber good things comes to those who wait, and if your and outstanding community user your likely to get reimbursed.

And Remeber being a moderator is not all its cracked up to be, you will be asked to take the high road and settle sqaubbles while maintaining your composure. This is just a guide for those who want to have a better chance at becoming a mod it does not guarantee anything. I hope this helps you all in your “quest”. This was partially inspired by Gregs Reviews. Until next time take it easy everyone.

Cmurda~~~

Flag Post

Double space to get a line break. Also, if you join forums to become a mod you need to get out more.

Flag Post

Well, I’ll surely follow these rules! Thanks for taking the time to write all that out.

Flag Post

Kongregate is the first place where i’ve seen so many people want to be mods I wonder why. Goes to investigate

Flag Post

Heh well Phatcat you haven’t been to many places then…
I remember when I opened my forum EVERY single person who signed up decided to tell me why he should be a mod… All of them wanted to be mods… It’s just that modship supposedly gives you power and respect and the human nature is to want power and respect.
You want power and respect? Pretend to be a girl.

Flag Post

Maybe a lot of ppl want to be mods or just show it just because kong is currently looking for mods

Flag Post

You want power and respect? Pretend to be a girl.

Among a lot of our users, I think that’ll get you the former more than the latter.

Also, the FAQ was updated a few weeks ago with my own elaboration on becoming a moderator.

Flag Post

The easiest way to be a mod: Wire one million to gregs swedish bank account >< !

Flag Post

Kongregate is the first place where i’ve seen so many people want to be mods I wonder why. Goes to investigate

I think that many people want to be moderators because it’s simple to. In a big community like Newgrounds, you have as much moderators as we do now. Then again, Newgrounds is extremely unmoderated.

Flag Post

Being a mod does not get respect <_<

The amount of patience you need to go through PMs and emails from people from the site PMing or emailing about the most stupid thing…never again lol

Flag Post

why everyone wants to be a mod, you get a cool symbol next to your name in chat

Flag Post

Nick we dont get pm’s or emails from other users as of yet.

Flag Post

YES I KNOW HOW TO NOW ALL SHALL BOW TO ME!!!

Flag Post

http://congregatee.blogspot.com/2007/07/how-to-be-kongregate-chat-moderator-in.html

… Am I getting unnoticed?

Flag Post

You want power and respect? Pretend to be a girl. What does an actual girl command then?

Flag Post

Females? On my serious of tubes? Rather preposterous!

Flag Post

What does an actual girl command then?

Their children if they have children.

Flag Post

Well girls don’t really comman anything but they get tons of attention… and that’s whta they ultimatly want right? attention? bah I don’t want I’m not a psychologist I just see how when say someone logs in he will always say hello either to everyone or just to Alison :p

Flag Post

Females do tend to get more attention by default just for being females on this site. This is often true in settings that are heavily male-dominated. Years back, I worked as a manager at GameStop, and as you can probably guess, I was the token “OMG Hawt Chick That Plays Games.” It’s both the males’ faults for giving the females too much attention and the females’ faults for enjoying the attention and encouraging it by making certain comments. I can’t tell you whether or not more females are moderators than males….I’d guess there are more male moderators.

Flag Post

I know this is hard to believe and I can only speak for myself, but I did not join Kongregate for the “attention”. ;)

I can relate to Alison’s experiences as I was the only girl in the computer science department. Back then it was rare to find a female willing to spend countless hours programming in some obscure machine language till the wee hours of the morning. Glad to see that is slowly changing now. Girlz rule!

Flag Post

OMG, hawt chicks are commenting on our forums jk :)

Females add a nice balance to our community and our moderating ranks especially.

Flag Post

Lol actually gamegrl I was talking about the people who scream that they want to be mods on the chat not the regular person who is on the chat :p
And yes the girls tend to be more calm and less crazy then us males and they are good at calming us down so they do actually balance things out.

Flag Post

(JINK RIGHT) Oh sorry thanks for the tips (POWER HUNGRY SMILE) hahahha

Flag Post

That’s very weird. This topic about moderators degenerated into a discussion of female gamers/programmers. 0.o

Thats why I love Kongregate.™®© (HANDS OFF!)

Flag Post

1. Take a forum

2. Put a lot of developers in it

3. Hijinks ensue