Forums Kongregate

Suggestions page 591

16601 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by YukonLSF2:

Kongregate should have a Mod-Request PM to admins…as there are plently of responsible users out there, and to name one off that bck “Candybutt”.

What’s that even mean? Do you mean a change to the way that moderators are appointed?

Flag Post

Would like that inline chat advertisement to be optional for K+. It’s rather irritating, to the point that I manually “inspect element” and remove it. For clarification, right now it’s the “Fairway Solitaire” one.

Flag Post

how about Chatwatch? simply enough, in the sidebar game chats, when you can click any name on the list of people in the room, add an option to activate Chatwatch, where it will turn the name of that person green. or really, any other color. but that way, were not skimming the, sometimes, fast moving chat log looking for a name for the people we are talking to

Flag Post
Originally posted by racefan12:

It’s about marketing to a target audience. The average person on Kong is more likely to be interested in technology in general, and is more likely to own such technological devices. I don’t personally have one either, but I’m still not bothered by the announcement.

Your logic fails. Assuming the ‘average person on Kong is more likely to be interested in technology in general’… then they’re going to be more likely to own anything other than an idevice. You can’t be techie and still like apple products.

Flag Post

Since my thread was rudely locked, I will repeat my suggestion relating to multiplayer games. Apparently someone thinks admins look at this thread. Call me crazy, but I doubt that.

Put all Hot New Multiplayer Games in a separate “window” from the Hot New Games, which will include only Single Player games. The same should go for “Most Played Games” and “Top Games This Month.”

Everyone’s happy – people like me who hate the infestation of cash-grab MMOs, and those who play them. In fact, if we had this system, I’d be more inclined to check out some of those MMOs because they wouldn’t be in a mishmash with everything else.

Flag Post

In the expanded view of /games/username, add a sub-section for games that the user has contributed to.

Flag Post

There needs to be a mute button for ads. Annoying the hell out of potential customers is not a good advertising strategy.

Flag Post

Sort the “Items” tab in the Awards section on a player’s full profile page in reverse chronologigal order (newest first), like the other two tabs “Awards” and “Cards” already are.

Flag Post

How about contest and kreds and merchant for rewards.The contests would be like best games or most posts and stuff like that.Oh and videos would he nice too.I’m sure many people would like videos like eddsworld and those asdfv movies.And a few more forum types like TV/MOVIE/BOOKS would be good for us too.

Flag Post

I ment to say merch as in merchandise not merchantI

Flag Post

Kongregate regularly holds contests with merchandise as rewards. Since tipping will soon be removed, I’m sure kreds will be given as prizes soon too. :D

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

I’ve noticed that lately theres a really high ratio of mmo games being featured. Maybe I’m the only one that feels this way, but it’s really making me visit kong much less. I used to come here for the great indie flash games and the fun of the challenges and badges. Now it seems like half the new badge and feature games are pay games. On top of that, the majority of said games are pretty much clones of each other. Either the cutesy RPG, which starts out fun and easy but quickly escalates the difficulty to the point where you pretty much have to buy some powerups to progress (cloudstone, dream world, sacred seasons, etc etc), or the city/army managment games (caesary, evony, et al.), where again, it starts of easy and quick but in no time youre either buying power up items or waiting days for things to build or upgrade.
Now before everybody points this out, yes, these games are playable without making any purchases, if you have the time and patience to wait and grind. But that’s not the average casual flash game player. I come here to see the newest offerings from the likes of toge, joey betts, and others too numerous to mention, but people that take the time to create a great game for the love of the medium, not to make a quick buck. There seems to be less and less of that here. There’s a million sites out there that are more than happy to take your credit card info and give you generic, flat games. There’s far fewer sites that feature quality independant games and developers, and of those, i always found kong to be the best of the bunch. At least i used to… seems the times they are a changin’.

Flag Post

There’s far more to Kong that what’s featured.

But the reason why there are more such games being featured—is because there are more of those games being made. Kong can’t do anything about the trend of developers making games that are more profitable for them… they can only react to what the developers (and obviously players, otherwise the games wouldn’t be as popular as they are) want.

Flag Post

I think it would be a good idea to put a small bar to make favorite games easier to get to. When I’m playing a game that takes multiple days to complete, like The Grinns Tale, I tend to forget I was even playing it if I’m off for more than a few days or so. Then I remember about a month later and pick up from there, only to start the cycle over again. Perhaps a little favorites tab at the profile bar at the top? That way, I can just look up and go, “Oh, I was messing around on Grinns Tale; I guess I should continue that.” It would be very convenient.

Flag Post

You could always favorite the game and come back to it later.

Flag Post

“Remove all posts from this user” button on another user’s post on our own profile page, just in case. ^^

Flag Post

You can mute them.

For the particular instance you’re referring to, it doesn’t help very much. But, your particular instance isn’t the norm.

Flag Post
Originally posted by racefan12:

There’s far more to Kong that what’s featured.

But the reason why there are more such games being featured—is because there are more of those games being made. Kong can’t do anything about the trend of developers making games that are more profitable for them… they can only react to what the developers (and obviously players, otherwise the games wouldn’t be as popular as they are) want.

you’re missing my point. Of course theres much more here than whats featured, but the featured games were great to have quick access to new games that someone had taken the time to review and decide they were above average. just glancing at the “new games” section right now, theres 19 pages of games posted this week. i’d say its a safe bet that 90% of those games are pretty crappy. it’s nice to have one place to go to see the 4 or 5 best games today or this week or whatever. and no, i don’t need someone else to tell me whats good, but over the years i’ve found the ratings on kong to be pretty close to my tastes. on a related note, you may also notice that the featured pay to play games are almost never also in the “top rated” or “most played” sections. what that says to me is that these games are paying to be featured. if thats the way kong wants to go, thats their choice, but to me thats akin to dj’s taking payolas to play certain songs, and if you’re old enough you may remember how well that went over. i realise kong needs to have a revenue stream like anyone else. i can accept the ads scattered around the site, and while i dont like it, i get why theres some in game advertising. but having devs pay to have their games featured seems dirty and unfair. let’s face it; badges are a huge draw and guaranteed exposure. independent devs are who need and deserve that exposure, not yet another generic mmorpg.

Flag Post

I can’t be the only one who has suggested this but we should be allowed to be in more than one chat while playing games. I would like to play multiple MMORPG’s at the same time but because of the chat limit it means I have to choose only one at a time.

Flag Post

To add on to Kegfarms above about being about to open multiple chats to play multiple mmos, it would be nice if there was a bookmark feature right on the main page instead of a sub page favorites so that we could access games we want to (re)play faster – mostly mmos which need lots of waiting over time. It’s not like they’re my favorite games though so I don’t want to put them under that category to avoid having to type in the game name into the search bar everytime. It’s possible to simply bookmark with my browser but surfing and using kong navigation increases the experience with the site and stumble across games that I may have never thought I’d enjoy.

Flag Post

inb4’notthistopicagain’

But, seriously.

Level Cap.

Since someone bumped the undercover mod thread and it somehow level cap got brought up, this image surfaced. It got me thinking about a different way to look at the system of levels. Currently it’s X amount of points is Y level. It’s finite, which is the problem.

It would require re-inventing the points system from the ground up, but why not make it relative? Level 999 would be the “cap” but only the account with the most amount of points would be at 999. The lowest, level 1, would be for any account with 15 points (the points you get for sign-up) and everyone else would be somewhere in between. This might piss a lot of people off because they’ll experience a drop in level. As well, it’s a unrealistic to expect anyone else to ever usurp the #1 position. With that being said, there’s several advantages:

1. As I said, it’s not finite. There’s no real “cap” anymore, since only 1 person can ever occupy Level 999; everyone else always has a goal to strive for.
2. Without a cap, there’ll be no reason to ever update the system… ever. It’ll need tweaks here and there to govern it and restore any imbalances, but those are tweaks, not overhauls.
3. With a system like this in place, there won’t be anyone (with 1 exception) to instantly hit the cap again, it wouldn’t be possible. This has probably been the biggest argument against raising the cap.

It’s not perfect, as I said. Some people will not appreciate their change (read: drop) in level, especially if it’s well earned. It is a little unfair that no one else can (realistically) ever reach the “cap” because it’s relative. But, I think it’s the best “solution” to the perceived problem of points, levels and the level cap. As I said we well, it’d take an overhaul of the current system, because it’s basically creating a new one, but I think it’s worth the investment, giving how low maintenance it will be from that point on.

I think this is the best way (that anyone’s thought of up to this point, my apologies if it’s been suggested before) to address the concerns about the points system and the only way to deal with some of the issues (instantly reaching the new cap, for example). Besides, the Level 999 icon exists for some reason so it might as well be put to use, right? ;)

[Edit: I linked to this post in chat. One of the main arguments against it was that, basically, as the rich grow richer, everyone else will decrease in level. My proposed fix, remove referral points from the equation.]

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post
Originally posted by adv0catus:
[Text removed to make neater]

Interesting thoughts, but there are still issues with any system that can be put into place. If your proposed system comes into play, even if you take out referral points, there would still be the issue that people could lose levels over time, even if they’re earning points, simply because someone else is earning them faster. I feel that a fixed scale is better, as points should be something you get because you want to, not something you get to compare yourself to people ahead of you (which is what your relative scale would effectively become).

Besides, making a relative scale where 999 is regarded as where the top user is would be strange, since that would boost everyone’s level to be much higher than it is right now, basically making the system dysfunctional and hard to interpret.

Flag Post

Forum Signitures

The Abillity to have Flash Videos on the site (Not that I would ever upload flash videos as I suck sh*t at animating)

A Way to Worship the Pineapple