What does this mean for me? You will always be able to play your favorite games on Kongregate. However, certain site features may suddenly stop working and leave you with a severely degraded experience.
What should I do? We strongly urge all our users to upgrade to modern browsers for a better experience and improved security.
We suggest you install the latest version of one of these browsers:
Kongregate is a community-driven browser games portal with an open platform for all web games.
Get your games in front of thousands of users while monetizing through ads and virtual goods.
Learn more »
> *Originally posted by **[DemonOfMist](/forums/1/topics/13?page=615#posts-6928938):***
> We need in forum emoticons. I dont know if that’s a good idea, people could spam them. Just a thought.
Only if they limit them for each post.
ORIGINAL SUGGESTION: Change the sites name to Kongamestop because you guys keep selling out :(
> *Originally posted by **[ExemplaryReturns](/forums/1/topics/13?page=615#posts-6932920):***
> Another suggestion: Allow us to have a separate search for forums and users, so we dont have to go through 20 pages of games to find a user’s profile or an old thread.
Forum searching was announced earlier, it’s going to be a separate search from the current one for games. Searching for profiles is not, however, going to happen, as it’s just not as common of a thing. UnknownGuardian posted a method by which to do it in the thread about the searches being split apart.
There should be a direct link to Monitored Post. Like when you hover over the “Community” tab. If you’re monitoring them, it’s because you want easy access to it, right?
As for the “random button” suggestion, didn’t we have that option some time ago? This suggestion’s also on the first page on this thread. If they deactivated it, I’m guessing there’s a reason, even though it IS something good to have around.
> *Originally posted by **[charrrlie](/forums/1/topics/13?page=615#posts-6935565):***
> As for the “random button” suggestion, didn’t we have that option some time ago? This suggestion’s also on the first page on this thread. If they deactivated it, I’m guessing there’s a reason, even though it IS something good to have around.
They did have a random game button some time ago, but it was removed since it just wasn’t being used by as many people as other things were, so they replaced it with more frequently used features on the home page (they have more detailed site stats than we have access to, so we can’t really know much else). I did like it, but I also didn’t use it as much as the hot new games or other things that sent me to games, so I’d justify it not being there.
If you really want a random game, just going to a random game page (by altering the number in the url for which game page you’re on) works nicely, especially with something like the [top rated new games](http://www.kongregate.com/top-rated-games?sort=newest), since you’ll get a random “good” game that way.
> *Originally posted by **[DemonOfMist](/forums/1/topics/13?page=615#posts-6936080):***
> We get skins for being K+ members. We need avatar icons too lol
Along with what race said, there would be nothing preventing someone else from saving that avatar for their own and using it, so it would really just serve as being a different set of the default avatars, since everyone would be able to get them.
> *Originally posted by **[DemonOfMist](/forums/1/topics/13?page=616#posts-6936229):***
> I meant have K+ icon next to your username, but you can pick from various colors.
Part of the point of icons being the colours the are is so that they’re easily distinguishable at a glance, allowing for different colours would be aesthetically displeasing (to me, at least).
Karma type systems usually don’t end well. They end up being very elitism. One of the first forums i was on had a karma system and the elitism got so had it destroyed the site. I’m really, really weary of such things. :-/
dunno if i’m in the right thread, and this has probably been brought up before but….
Can we please have a server for our account? I would gladly pay for this feature.
I’ve lost thousands of hours of gameplay (over time)… again… i would pay for this.
Thanks advocatus, nice post, I liked the ideas you presented there, and its good to know the staff is talking about it!
SilverChannel, i’ve been around this site for over 5 years now, in those 5 years i have played through at least 5 computers. Apart from MMOs, ALL the data is gone. I have spent (at least) hundreds of hours replaying games to get back to where I was. This IS a necessary feature, and one that could be profitable, so…. yeah.
Incoming textwall about the level cap and leader boards.
* * *
So there’s been lots of talk about people wanting something done with one or both of these things, and talk about people not wanting to touch either of them at all because they like where they sit. Recently, I’ve decided that I’d want to compile a list of ideas regarding the two of them, post it here, and see what people have to think about some of them.
* * *
* * *
### The Level Cap
There are a few thoughts I’ve had about what could be done about this, and they range from essentially nothing to completely revamping the system.
This would essentially be leaving everything entirely as is, nothing added, nothing taken away.
- No effort for development in terms of having to modify anything
- Everyone is familiar with how it works and what’s required
- Scalability becomes an issue as it becomes more available to get enough points to reach level 65
- Can be achieved through only badges without needing many of the more difficult hard or impossible badges
Raise the level cap to a new static number
This is something that has been done twice before (20 to 64, 64 to 65), so it would at least be a familiar situation for the developers and something that can be done, and has worked out in a positive way before.
- It has been done twice before, and has been successful
- Rather straightforward solution
- Finding a suitable level to make the new cap could be a challenge (too low and the same issue will arise soon again, too high and it becomes unrealistic for the majority of people)
- Potentially upsetting to those who are near the current level cap
Get rid of the level cap
By this I mainly mean to make the max level more than anyone currently has, since I’m sure it still has to be hardcoded at a certain value. If it was set to something that required millions of points, I’m sure that’d qualify enough for being limitless (and if anyone did ever somehow reach that point, raising it by even a couple levels would bump up the point total significantly).
- Adds limitless expansion for those who have reached the current cap and want to continue leveling up, while not affecting those who wouldn’t be getting to the cap anyways
- Balancing points per level might be an issue
- Would require maintenance if people neared the hardcoded limit to keep it seemingly limitless
- Eliminates one of the biggest goals that people set out to achieve, which could be an issue
Create a prestige system
This is something I’ve toyed with for a while now. Basically, the level cap would still stay at level 65, but beyond that people would have the choice to “prestige” up where they’d start back over at level 1, but keep their point total and just build towards level 65 again. There would have to be a way to distinguish between what “round” people are on, maybe by a symbol beside their name (like an Army rank thing) or by the levelbug changing colours.
- The highest level would still be 65, so users who are aiming for that can still have that cap as a goal
- Choice would allow users to decide whether they just want to stay at 65 while still getting more points, or wrap around to the next prestige where their level would reset but their points wouldn’t and they’d have the prestige distinguisher (symbol, colour, or whatever)
- It brings something fresh to a system which has remained essentially the same through the site’s whole history, while keeping the core idea of a cap intact
- Sounds like this would be a lot of developer work
- Completely revamps the way people think of the level system, might be hard to gain traction
* * *
So that basically sums up my thoughts on where the level cap sits. If I had to choose one, I’d go for just raising to a static number, but it would have to be a decent amount higher (the last raise was a single level, I don’t think that would work this time). Depending on how many points would be required for what level once you get to the higher figures, it could make it a tough decision (a matter of 5 levels would be over 10,000 points, how drastic would that be?). The prestige thing does interest me, though, since just raising the cap might instantly make some people reach it while making others near it, but a prestige thing would allow for everyone to sort of go for as long as they want while still giving them some sort of “reward” for it other than just more points, and people would still have the familiar 65 as the highest level that’d be seen.
* * *
* * *
### The Leader Boards
This is something else that has been talked about recently, and something that I’m sure a fair amount of people would like to see some change for. Again, my ideas range from essentially doing nothing to adding in completely new features that would enhance the current ones.
So essentially this would be to just leave it as is, which is to say the top 25 people in terms of total points get shown on a page, and that’s about it.
- No development time necessary
- People are used to what’s currently there
- Scalability is a huge issue, currently it only shows a select few who are more than double the current level cap, so it’s nowhere near realistic for anyone who isn’t already relatively close
- It’s a system that worked well at highlighting players when there weren’t as many on the site, but now that there are well over ten million accounts, it doesn’t highlight as many as it should be
Increase the number of people shown
This is rather straightforward, simply take it from where it is with showing 25 people, and show more, maybe 100, maybe 500, it depends on how simple it would be. Something to decide on would be if it should show all on one page or between multiple pages (so maybe 25 or 50 per page), depending on how many people I suppose (too many might be too overwhelming).
- Broader view of where people would sit, as opposed to just seeing a few who are way ahead
- Might make a more realistic goal for some
- Could potentially become out of sync more than it is now (currently it ranks users by a total which is a few hundred to a few thousand below their actual points)
- This hasn’t been done before, so development time might be an issue
Global ranking on profile
By this I mean to add a number on a user’s profile that tells them what rank they are on the site. This would probably just have to be updated once or twice a day, and probably just for users over a certain level, as that’d make the most sense. Also something cool would to be able to see the names of the couple people in front and behind you, since that might drive a little more competition (maybe just show them to you and make them private to others, or make it public, not sure which would be better), and also a system to be able to search for certain people at a specific spot (so if you wanted to aim for a certain position you could easily see who’s currently there and what it’d take to get there yourself). I think ArmorGames has/had a similar system to this.
- Everyone could now see where they sit just by looking on their profile
- A much more open system than the currently “private” rankings (everyone must be getting compared and ranked somehow already, otherwise the top 25 couldn’t really be found)
- It might cause server issues if it has to update for too large of an amount of people
- Development time, since this would be a new feature entirely to implement
* * *
And those are just some of my ideas for what could be done with the leader boards or ranking system. Personally, I’d absolutely love for it to show global rankings on profiles (minus the other add-ons like searching and seeing who’s ahead and behind, if they’re too much trouble), and also to keep the current system, but otherwise maybe just expanding it to show a lot more people.
* * *
* * *
I think that’ll do for now. I just threw in some quick pros and cons from my personal point of view, others might feel completely the opposite as I do. Still, some food for thought on where we sit and what some possibilities for either are. Maybe if one thing happens with one it might make more sense for one thing to happen to another, so there might be some interrelationships there.
> *Originally posted by **[123aaa789](/forums/1/topics/13?page=616#posts-6939697):***
I would love to see implemented the prestige system.
I guess that raising the level cap is not a solution, new users will see the new level cap way too far even if it’s achievable by winning badges. The prestige system gives the user diverse limits, which reward the user ‘psychologically’.
Talking about the leaderboards I think this is the easiest thing to improve. I mean, I’ve done a 400 people leaderboard based on points. Update it daily or something like that to unstress the servers and you are done. But I guess there are some other reasons that explain why staff didn’t implement this system before.