Forums Kongregate

Suggestions page 614

16578 posts

Flag Post

Karma type systems usually don’t end well. They end up being very elitism. One of the first forums i was on had a karma system and the elitism got so had it destroyed the site. I’m really, really weary of such things. :-/

Plus, OT.

Flag Post

dunno if i’m in the right thread, and this has probably been brought up before but….

Can we please have a server for our account? I would gladly pay for this feature.

I’ve lost thousands of hours of gameplay (over time)… again… i would pay for this.

Flag Post

http://www.kongregate.com/forums/1-kongregate/topics/329570-request-for-a-feature-online-save

Flag Post

You’re in the right place, every Kong suggestion belongs here. Also, I’m not sure if that’s necessary. There are other features that I’d like to see, at least first.

Flag Post

Thanks advocatus, nice post, I liked the ideas you presented there, and its good to know the staff is talking about it!

SilverChannel, i’ve been around this site for over 5 years now, in those 5 years i have played through at least 5 computers. Apart from MMOs, ALL the data is gone. I have spent (at least) hundreds of hours replaying games to get back to where I was. This IS a necessary feature, and one that could be profitable, so…. yeah.

Flag Post

Hi guys there should be a semi private profile so you can let your friends see stuff that other people won’t be able to see EX: your profile pic your description let people comment in your profile…

Flag Post

You can comment on someone’s profile even if it’s private by adding “/messages” to the URL. However, I do agree. It’s be nice if friends-only could see your About Me and/or your feed.

Flag Post

Incoming textwall about the level cap and leader boards.

So there’s been lots of talk about people wanting something done with one or both of these things, and talk about people not wanting to touch either of them at all because they like where they sit. Recently, I’ve decided that I’d want to compile a list of ideas regarding the two of them, post it here, and see what people have to think about some of them.

The Level Cap

There are a few thoughts I’ve had about what could be done about this, and they range from essentially nothing to completely revamping the system.

Status Quo

This would essentially be leaving everything entirely as is, nothing added, nothing taken away.

Pros:

• No effort for development in terms of having to modify anything
  • Everyone is familiar with how it works and what’s required

Cons:

• Scalability becomes an issue as it becomes more available to get enough points to reach level 65
  • Can be achieved through only badges without needing many of the more difficult hard or impossible badges

Raise the level cap to a new static number

This is something that has been done twice before (20 to 64, 64 to 65), so it would at least be a familiar situation for the developers and something that can be done, and has worked out in a positive way before.

Pros:

• It has been done twice before, and has been successful
  • Rather straightforward solution

Cons:

• Finding a suitable level to make the new cap could be a challenge (too low and the same issue will arise soon again, too high and it becomes unrealistic for the majority of people)
  • Potentially upsetting to those who are near the current level cap

Get rid of the level cap

By this I mainly mean to make the max level more than anyone currently has, since I’m sure it still has to be hardcoded at a certain value. If it was set to something that required millions of points, I’m sure that’d qualify enough for being limitless (and if anyone did ever somehow reach that point, raising it by even a couple levels would bump up the point total significantly).

Pros:

• Adds limitless expansion for those who have reached the current cap and want to continue leveling up, while not affecting those who wouldn’t be getting to the cap anyways

Cons:

• Balancing points per level might be an issue
  • Would require maintenance if people neared the hardcoded limit to keep it seemingly limitless
  • Eliminates one of the biggest goals that people set out to achieve, which could be an issue

Create a prestige system

This is something I’ve toyed with for a while now. Basically, the level cap would still stay at level 65, but beyond that people would have the choice to “prestige” up where they’d start back over at level 1, but keep their point total and just build towards level 65 again. There would have to be a way to distinguish between what “round” people are on, maybe by a symbol beside their name (like an Army rank thing) or by the levelbug changing colours.

Pros:

• The highest level would still be 65, so users who are aiming for that can still have that cap as a goal
  • Choice would allow users to decide whether they just want to stay at 65 while still getting more points, or wrap around to the next prestige where their level would reset but their points wouldn’t and they’d have the prestige distinguisher (symbol, colour, or whatever)
  • It brings something fresh to a system which has remained essentially the same through the site’s whole history, while keeping the core idea of a cap intact

Cons:

• Sounds like this would be a lot of developer work
  • Completely revamps the way people think of the level system, might be hard to gain traction

So that basically sums up my thoughts on where the level cap sits. If I had to choose one, I’d go for just raising to a static number, but it would have to be a decent amount higher (the last raise was a single level, I don’t think that would work this time). Depending on how many points would be required for what level once you get to the higher figures, it could make it a tough decision (a matter of 5 levels would be over 10,000 points, how drastic would that be?). The prestige thing does interest me, though, since just raising the cap might instantly make some people reach it while making others near it, but a prestige thing would allow for everyone to sort of go for as long as they want while still giving them some sort of “reward” for it other than just more points, and people would still have the familiar 65 as the highest level that’d be seen.

The Leader Boards

This is something else that has been talked about recently, and something that I’m sure a fair amount of people would like to see some change for. Again, my ideas range from essentially doing nothing to adding in completely new features that would enhance the current ones.

Status Quo

So essentially this would be to just leave it as is, which is to say the top 25 people in terms of total points get shown on a page, and that’s about it.

Pros:

• No development time necessary
  • People are used to what’s currently there

Cons:

• Scalability is a huge issue, currently it only shows a select few who are more than double the current level cap, so it’s nowhere near realistic for anyone who isn’t already relatively close
  • It’s a system that worked well at highlighting players when there weren’t as many on the site, but now that there are well over ten million accounts, it doesn’t highlight as many as it should be

Increase the number of people shown

This is rather straightforward, simply take it from where it is with showing 25 people, and show more, maybe 100, maybe 500, it depends on how simple it would be. Something to decide on would be if it should show all on one page or between multiple pages (so maybe 25 or 50 per page), depending on how many people I suppose (too many might be too overwhelming).

Pros:

• Broader view of where people would sit, as opposed to just seeing a few who are way ahead
  • Might make a more realistic goal for some

Cons:

• Could potentially become out of sync more than it is now (currently it ranks users by a total which is a few hundred to a few thousand below their actual points)
  • This hasn’t been done before, so development time might be an issue

Global ranking on profile

By this I mean to add a number on a user’s profile that tells them what rank they are on the site. This would probably just have to be updated once or twice a day, and probably just for users over a certain level, as that’d make the most sense. Also something cool would to be able to see the names of the couple people in front and behind you, since that might drive a little more competition (maybe just show them to you and make them private to others, or make it public, not sure which would be better), and also a system to be able to search for certain people at a specific spot (so if you wanted to aim for a certain position you could easily see who’s currently there and what it’d take to get there yourself). I think ArmorGames has/had a similar system to this.

Pros:

• Everyone could now see where they sit just by looking on their profile
  • A much more open system than the currently “private” rankings (everyone must be getting compared and ranked somehow already, otherwise the top 25 couldn’t really be found)

Cons:

• It might cause server issues if it has to update for too large of an amount of people
  • Development time, since this would be a new feature entirely to implement

And those are just some of my ideas for what could be done with the leader boards or ranking system. Personally, I’d absolutely love for it to show global rankings on profiles (minus the other add-ons like searching and seeing who’s ahead and behind, if they’re too much trouble), and also to keep the current system, but otherwise maybe just expanding it to show a lot more people.

I think that’ll do for now. I just threw in some quick pros and cons from my personal point of view, others might feel completely the opposite as I do. Still, some food for thought on where we sit and what some possibilities for either are. Maybe if one thing happens with one it might make more sense for one thing to happen to another, so there might be some interrelationships there.

Flag Post

That you can delete and edit your game comments.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post
Originally posted by 123aaa789:
Love

I would love to see implemented the prestige system.
I guess that raising the level cap is not a solution, new users will see the new level cap way too far even if it’s achievable by winning badges. The prestige system gives the user diverse limits, which reward the user ‘psychologically’.
Talking about the leaderboards I think this is the easiest thing to improve. I mean, I’ve done a 400 people leaderboard based on points. Update it daily or something like that to unstress the servers and you are done. But I guess there are some other reasons that explain why staff didn’t implement this system before.

Flag Post
Originally posted by 123aaa789:

Incoming textwall about the level cap and leader boards.

I personally like the prestige system. Where you start over at 1 with a military symbol or ‘notch’ next to the number (different colors might get confusing).

Everyone is familiar with sixty-five and this way new members won’t feel overwhelmed when they see the level cap is something like 178, ten years from now.

The leader boards as they are now are useless…that’s why BadgeMaster is so popular. They should just implement that into the site somehow and make it official where everyone gets included. With millions of users everyone has a constant ‘goal’ to up the next guy in points.

Anyway, if anything else implementing both of these will end this conversation forever.

Flag Post

You know how we have to memorize the formatting tools to format our text. Well we need small icons that let you do that. For instance, you press the underline button and you can insert the word you want to underline. Some forums have formatting buttons.

Flag Post

Change colors or add themes;

I play in the night, and this bright white background of kongregate hurts my eyes, can we change the look of the website to a different theme.
Example:

Original theme
Dark Contrast theme
or etc.

Flag Post

I personally think it would be good to stop demanding information on certain ways of Kred purchase. Really, I have my paypal for that and don´t feel like giving my phone here. It´s not even like Kogregate can get blamed for anything because even if we get the account stolen here, that person would also have to crack our paypal password (for example).

Flag Post

For verification purposes, a phone number is required. I don’t know the circumstances but I know for a fact they do phone verification.

Flag Post
Originally posted by GamerGuy75:

That you can delete and edit your game comments.

You can delete your game comments by going to your main profile and clicking “comments” and there you go. As for editing, no.

Flag Post

About the problem involving jerks (like me) who use adblocks… Why not make it so that before a game, there is a dialog that pops up when Kong determines an adblock is being used. Then the user needs to wait about 20 seconds at a blank screen until they can play. That way people will turn their adblock off because it’s easier to just skip the ads. Kong still makes revenue and the only people who will really get upset by this are those who are using the adblock (who donate nothing to the site).

Of course this doesn’t apply to K+ members.

Dunno if it’s possible, but if it is then surely it will come in handy.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ericzander:

About the problem involving jerks (like me) who use adblocks… Why not make it so that before a game, there is a dialog that pops up when Kong determines an adblock is being used. Then the user needs to wait about 20 seconds at a blank screen until they can play. That way people will turn their adblock off because it’s easier to just skip the ads. Kong still makes revenue and the only people who will really get upset by this are those who are using the adblock (who donate nothing to the site).

I use adblocker. When they first started putting in ads at the beginning of games it would be blank and make you wait for so many seconds (their was a countdown timer). I haven’t seen an ad in a long time though.

and it didn’t make me turn of adblocker

Flag Post
Originally posted by BTrenary:

I use adblocker. When they first started putting in ads at the beginning of games it would be blank and make you wait for so many seconds (their was a countdown timer). I haven’t seen an ad in a long time though.

and it didn’t make me turn of adblocker

Well for me, it goes right to the game no problem. It gives me no incentive to make me stop using it (although I haven’t actually played a game in half a month lol)

Flag Post

A reason WHY people do that is so they can play games with less lag.
Do you know how annoying reloading video ads are?

Flag Post

How about we can be allowed to place signature banners below posts.

Flag Post

Somebody suggested I place this in the Suggestions thread, so here we go:

I’d like to place a few update suggestions for the favorites feature. It’s not a very efficient page right now, and taking these suggestions at the hilt may increase business for Kongregate.

Number One – Page Inefficiency

It’s not cool to have to scroll to the bottom of the front page for your eighth-most-recently-favorited game. It should easily be near the top. So streamline it and make it like this:

1 2
3 4
5 6
7 “Game Spotlight”
8 9
10 11
12 13
14 15

Instead of this inefficient layout:

1 9
2 10
3 11
4 “Game Spotlight”
5 12
6 13
7 14
8 15

So change it please. I’m not going to go all the way down the page for something I want to play immediately.

Number Two – The real Favorites get left out

It saddens me that I can’t access my true favorite games…the ones I’ve had buried in my favorites list for I-don’t-know-how-long. I’ve forgotten their names and reputation as a result. So add a filter that says “Real Favorites” and make it that the games that I’ve truly respected for the longest appear.

Number Three – Most Played filter is flawed

Each user’s play statistics say what games are their real favorite games. But when you use the “Most Played” filter in the Favorites menu, it’s not personal. It includes ALL users, which is a pain in the booty as games that aren’t your most played appear at the top. Make it that the most frequently played by that user appears at the top.

If it’s too expensive, make this a Kong Plus feature, and remove the filter otherwise.

Number Four – Kong Plus user exclusive features

- No “Game Spotlights” getting in the way

- Most Kreds Spent (a filter for games that you used the most Kreds spent on, games not paid for will not appear)

- Double Favorites (A second star for games you play all the time or want to stay at the top of the list)
This may sound similar to my Real Favorites suggestion, but what if you could make those games appear at the top every single time?

So what do you guys think?

Flag Post
Originally posted by DemonOfMist:

How about we can be allowed to place signature banners below posts.

This gets requested a lot, and most of the active forum users hate the idea because of how cluttered forum signatures are in most places where they are allowed.

Flag Post

Change colors or add themes;

I play in the night, and this bright white background of kongregate hurts my eyes, can we change the look of the website to a different theme.
Example:

Original theme
Dark Contrast theme
or etc.