Forums Kongregate

Important News: Caesary Takedown

122 posts

Flag Post

Hey Kongregants. If you’re reading this post, it is because we have had to remove the MMO Caesary from the site. Faced with a copyright infringement notice and threatened legal action, we either had to take Caesary down or else get involved in a potentially lengthy legal battle. Knowing the incredible inconvenience this is causing all of you who have played the game this was not a decision we made lightly.

We know what it’s like to put a lot of time, effort, and in some cases, money into something, and to have that taken away. And we know that it sucks pretty badly. We also know that anything we could try to do to make this up to you will fall staggeringly short. It’s nice of your parents to offer you a new puppy at the death of a beloved dog, but you probably really just want your dog not to have died.

That being said we do feel we owe you guys big time, so we do want to offer you a few things that might make this loss a little bit better. We hope you’ll accept some free items from Lord of Ages, which we honestly think is really fun. We’re finalizing this now and will be contacting everyone who played Caesary via a whisper. Also, any Kreds spent on Caesary after October 20th, 2010 will be returned to your accounts to be used as you would like, and we will be more than happy to respond to your questions and complaints if you send them to support@kongregate.com.

We are genuinely sorry for the inconvenience to all of you, and again: if it were at all possible to avoid this, we would. Going forward, please don’t hesitate to let us know what we can do to help you make the best of an admittedly bad situation.

Flag Post

Wow, copyright infringement… You’d think the developer would’ve thought about that…

Flag Post

That sucks!

PS> No more badges?

Flag Post
Originally posted by JaumeBG:

Wow, copyright infringement… You’d think the developer would’ve thought about that…

The details are actually pretty complicated — not as simple as stolen artwork/gameplay/etc.

Flag Post

Everyone who earned the badges will keep the points? (I didn’t earn them, just wondering)

Flag Post

Yeah what happened to everyone that got the badges from it?

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheAznSensation:

Everyone who earned the badges will keep the points? (I didn’t earn them, just wondering)

They might do the same thing they did with Draw Play 3(I think it was) Where they badge another game, and than automatically give you those badges.

Flag Post

You’ll keep your points and badges.

Originally posted by BlackBone:

They might do the same thing they did with Draw Play 3(I think it was) Where they badge another game, but automatically give you those badges.

We don’t have any current plans to do this.

Flag Post

I’ve asked. Anyone who earned the badges keep them and the points, so no worries there.

Edit: But those who have not earned them are SOL.

Flag Post

There was once an impossible badge for The Last Stand I think it was, and they didn’t “remove” the points from the people who earned the badge while the badge existed.

Originally posted by greg:
Originally posted by JaumeBG:

The details are actually pretty complicated — not as simple as stolen artwork/gameplay/etc.

Oh, didn’t know.

Flag Post
Originally posted by greg:

You’ll keep your points and badges.

They might do the same thing they did with Draw Play 3(I think it was) Where they badge another game, but automatically give you those badges.

We don’t have any current plans to do this.

Okay, thanks for clarifying :)

Flag Post

What about all the people who had plans to eventually obtain those badges?

EDIT: Never mind. That’s what I get for not refreshing before posting.

Flag Post
Originally posted by SicMirx:

Like me? We unfortunately won’t be able to. :(

Flag Post

SOL, SMirx. Sorry. But maybe a hug will make it better.

Edit: Adminja’d.

Flag Post

Rate 50 games for the point equivalent and <Italian mobster accent> Forget about it</Italian mobster accent> :P

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ducklette:

Like me? We unfortunately won’t be able to. :(

Shitty. I had no plans to play another MMO soon or anything, but me likey badges. *comfort snuggles*

Flag Post

Great! So I just lost my opportunity do get what, 51 points?

Flag Post
Originally posted by CowFriend:

Trust me, it isn’t worth your time to get those badges.

Flag Post
Originally posted by CowFriend:

Trust me, it isn’t worth your time to get those badges.

Well, I got them back when I spent most of my time here on the forums, so I just dropped in to that tab from time to time, clicked something and so it went…

Flag Post

Oh darn. I’m so sad.

Flag Post

Damn, there’s no more erection.

Flag Post

^I think that’s Hero of Gaia, if you’re talking about that one news.

Flag Post

As a curious note (dev to dev question, not trying to be nosy/whatever), will any of the revenue (or whats left) be given to the devs of Caesary after Kongregate was informed, or does copyright infringement kill your revenue?

EDIT I’d prefer admin answer just to be positive.

Flag Post

It should kill his revenue because, it’s like if you steal a Picasso painting and get money off from it in your local museum. You need to pay to have a logo or registered trademark thing on your game (or whatever it is) or else you’re making money off other people’s work.

Flag Post

Ha ha, also a nosy question from me – what was the copyright infringement based around? Seems like it might be interesting to know / a good warning to others.