Forums Kongregate

Tag Suggestions page 2

448 posts

Flag Post

Retro tag?

Flag Post
Originally posted by SamsterSamster:

Retro tag?

Already got that I think, I seen it on Survival Lab.

Flag Post

How about you just open the system up for a while and see what people add? Then drop off stupid, offensive, and joke tags, which will be floating at the bottom anyway

I know, you don’t want to open it up because people will say bad words, but they already do in comments and you don’t moderate them much so it’s no different.

That said, I think the really specific, niche tags are extremely useful, whereas as tag like “Action” describes everything. It basically tells you “this game is not sudoku”. Uncommon tags let you discover previously hard-to-access collections of games in one place. I’d like to see Flixel as suggested, and other niche things like that (FlashPunk too. Stencyl. Box2D). Ragdoll. Experimental. Masocore (Like N/N+ – hard as hell on purpose)

Originally posted by DukeNukemForever:

“Terrible platformers that add a cliche story and classical music to pretend to be deep” would be a good tag.

That would be “Art game”. Pretentious would be good too.

Or the tag could be “Tigsource certified”, that way you know it’s avant-garde as HELL

Flag Post

When it said Apply a New Tag, I thought you could add one to the list, i.e. create one.

Fail.

Flag Post

I dislike how tags are used unproperly on too popular games with the effect of hiding the unknown games as usual. Tags like “Fighting” shouldn’t be used on games like “thing thing”, “sonny 2” or “Enchanted cave” since that is a well-known separated genre, as it is debatable if “TDP4” falls under “Platformer”.

That’s why we need precise rules for them.

Flag Post

An “upgrade” tag maybe, for games where you purchase upgrades, like upgrade complete, learn to fly, hedgehog launch, icy gifts, ect.

Flag Post

I’d like a “Tools” or “Gadgets” or “Kongregate” tag.

And shared content, noted below is a good idea.

Flag Post

I want to see a tag for shared content.

Flag Post

MMORPG

Rush games….games that you play fast,like canabalt

2 player games….actually i dont know if there are games of this type in kong

Flag Post

my suggestions:

• Humour/Humor. it’s different from ‘Funny’. funny is a qualitative statement, not a catagorization. should probably replace Funny.
  • Atmospheric
  • Top down view
  • Birds-eye view
  • Third person view
  • First person view
  • Side-view (maybe. cause it covers more than Side-scroller does)
  • Good graphics (or something like that; in games, this tends to be a catagory)
  • Customisation (for when neither Strategy nor Sandbox works)
  • Creativity (probably too close to ^)
  • Text-based
  • Story/Plot (or maybe Story-driven/Plot-driven)
  • Emotional (don’t like, don’t use =P)
  • Leveling/Grinding (most often that’s what RPG means, however more traditional role-playing is quite different. this may help solve this ambiguity)
  • Dark (i know, but it could be useful. i bet lots of people would use it to find “dark” games. i know i would)
  • Co-op

if you want to get technical there should also be “Tactics”, since that is seperate from “Strategy”. but that’s probably confusing for most.

and “Good music” and “Great music” is redundant. it’s also very qualitative (thus arbitrary), but i don’t mind that since you can see how often it’s used.

also can “Sim” be changed to “Simulation”? Sim is almost patently Maxis, and doesn’t carry what “Simulation” aught to.

Flag Post

I didn’t look at the tags so I may have some that are already there, but here are some I think sound good. Sandbox/Non-linear/free-roam, high score games (like canabalt), Upgrades, launch game, 3D, long, grinding, art (or something like that for games like Every Day The Same Dream), Post-apocalyptic, war (may already exist.
Edit: “energy-based” for games like mafia wars etc.

Flag Post

also i think it would be a good idea to, once a tag reaches like -5, just remove it from that game.

Flag Post

“nonogram” i.e. griddler / picross

Flag Post
Originally posted by OmegaDoom:

also i think it would be a good idea to, once a tag reaches like -5, just remove it from that game.

Totally agreed.

Flag Post

I love the good music tag :)
What about a “Continuous Tag” for games that go on forever like Run,Canabalt, Epic Turnip, and Solipskier?

Flag Post
Originally posted by this_is_creative:

I love the good music tag :)
What about a “Continuous Tag” for games that go on forever like Run,Canabalt, Epic Turnip, and Solipskier?

Yeah, a tag like “survival” might help.

Flag Post

AI (Artificial Intelligence)
CCG (Collectible Card Game)
Chaos
Clone
Death
Demon
Duel
Evil ;)
Historical
JRPG (Japanese-style RPG)
Launching/Launcher/Flight-Launcher
Merchant/Trader
MMO {Why not?}
Scary
Sin
Stunt
Slasher
Superhero
Tactical and/or Wargame
Time Travel
Trap
Unfair
World Map

and mb smth for games like Pillage the Village, Nuclear Eagle…

Flag Post

Scifi tag would be useful. I mean games like orbital decay or space game

Flag Post

i thought anyone can create any tag they want.

Flag Post

Can a single game be in multiple tags at once?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Danaroth:

I dislike how tags are used unproperly on too popular games with the effect of hiding the unknown games as usual. Tags like “Fighting” shouldn’t be used on games like “thing thing”, “sonny 2” or “Enchanted cave” since that is a well-known separated genre, as it is debatable if “TDP4” falls under “Platformer”.

That’s why we need precise rules for them.

It seems to me this is the reason users vote on the tag. The idea (probably) is that the community can choose what category a game falls under without preset guidelines.

Should questions about the tag system go here, or in one of the other threads?

And failing an instantaneousness answer, I’ll just post here until told otherwise. Are the tags shown/blocked based purely off of whether the rating is negative or positive, or is there an algorithm in place to weigh + vs. – votes (such as with the comments)?

Flag Post
Originally posted by boblukebob:

It seems to me this is the reason users vote on the tag. The idea (probably) is that the community can choose what category a game falls under without preset guidelines.

Should questions about the tag system go here, or in one of the other threads?

And failing an instantaneousness answer, I’ll just post here until told otherwise. Are the tags shown/blocked based purely off of whether the rating is negative or positive, or is there an algorithm in place to weigh + vs. – votes (such as with the comments)?

I agree that the system works great to hide spamming tags, expecially in popular games. But when it’s about tags that fit the game just by assonance (eg “Point and Click” for “Icy Gifts”) the situation is trickier, since some users just don’t have enough experience to distinguish that it’s not appropriate and that would clutter the lists. So while I enjoy the overall system, I still think it would be beneficial for everyone to point out what are some tags for, or alternatively, having someone to be able to reset them.

Oh and about your question: yes, it seems like the tags are listed from highest to lowest rating, as long as they are positive.

Originally posted by OmegaDoom:

I also disagree with this one; if the tag is removed, they tag could just be added by someone again (and would start with a +1), while if he adds it with a -5 rating, the only thing he can do with a single account is to move it up to -4; in the first case it would show up in the related list, while in the second it wouldn’t, so the second scenery seems way better. On the other side, your tag suggestions were pretty great.

Flag Post

I think some kind of tag for games like Dog Eat Dog, Square Meals, and Fishy would be good. Maybe something like “Growing” and apply it to Moby Dick too.

Flag Post

@Danaroth: good point. however if you keep those tags indeffinetely just to give people something to down-vote is silly, because eventually every tag is gonna be suggested at least once by some joker.

i guess what they should do is make a tag that reaches like -10 or so, unable to be picked again for that game. something like that…

Flag Post

I’m all for “upgrade”, “editor” (great for finding all the Minecraft-likes) and “Metroidvania”.

I haven’t seen this very much on the web and asked for this elsewhere to learn that it can be resource-intensive, but how about support for multiple tag pages? That way I could one day enter the URL http://www.kongregate.com/Metroidvania/RPG to see a bunch of games inspired by Koji Igarashi’s 2D Castlevanias, which have what may be my favorite gameplay formula ever.