Forums Kongregate

Super Important: Downtime as Kongregate Switches to New Servers! (Already complete) (locked)

121 posts

Flag Post

Ladies, gentlemen, others: Tonight is the event we’ve all been waiting for. We’re going to switch Kongregate over to our brand new servers! What does this mean for you? Well in the immediate future, it means that we’re going to have a considerable amount of downtime tonight. The site will be down for approximately four hours, from 8pm PST until midnight (so, 12am PST on the 16th). If we run into problems, it may certainly take a little longer.

Since we’re changing our IP the site could be down even longer for some of you if your internet service provider is slow to update their DNS records – they might be sending you back to our old servers even once our new ones are up and running and working for other people. Most providers will update their records within a couple of hours, but a few stragglers could take much longer. So, in short: Kongregate will be down for quite a while.

So what does this mean in the immediate-but-after-midnight-or-so future? A much faster site. I know a lot of you have experienced some heavy lag and unforeseen downtime for several months now, and that’s all due to the servers we’re currently on. These new servers will be able to handle the heavy traffic with ease, and enable us to do a lot more with the site! If only there was someone to whom we could all express our gratitude for this enormous improvement that was previously unavailable to us. Oh, yeah! THANKS, GAMESTOP!

That being said, the badge browser will not be back tonight. I know, I know. I just deflated the hopes and dreams of so many and yes, I did see what I’ve done and no, I’m not happy now, thank you very much. But unfortunately, it’s the truth. The good news is that it will be back as soon as we’re comfortable that the site is secure and stable. :)

For those of you participating in the Unity contest: We know a lot of people are likely to upload their games close to the deadline – hey, there’s nothing wrong with that! It’s how I got through school. For that reason,we’ve extended the deadline. The new deadline for the Unity contest is tomorrow night, Feb. 16.

Thanks in advance for your patience, everyone, and I’ll see you on the flip side!

AC ninja edit: So uh, things did not go quite as planned, check my post for more details and stand by for another topic very much like this one in the near future :P

Flag Post

Yes! I’ve been waiting for this. Hope everything will go smoothly. :)

Flag Post

Yay, there’ll be less lag! Even though I wasn’t lagging much in the first place. Too bad about the badge browser though… at least I have the off-site one by SavageWolf.

Flag Post

yaaaaaaaaaayyyyy no lag! totally worth it IMO

Flag Post

Finally people will be thanking and not blaming GameStop.

Flag Post

I will blame gamestop for not doing this sooner. :D They’ve been promising it for a loooooooong while

Flag Post

So what’s the IP of the new server going to be then? I can’t lose valuable Kong time because of some silly DNS issues :)

Flag Post
Originally posted by WiiPlayer113:

Finally people will be thanking and not blaming GameStop.

I won’t thank them since this means I’ll be without posting-ability for 4 hours.

Flag Post

Four hours without kong?!

Flag Post

Let me make out with our current servers one last time.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

more time on minecraft i guess

Flag Post

Yeah!

I’ll be offline when the fixes are happening.

Flag Post

New servers= win. Trust me.

Flag Post

I’ll most likely be in bed when this happens :3

Flag Post
Originally posted by Beny071:

New servers= win. Trust me.

oh well ill be asleep then anyways. i think at least.?

Flag Post

Good to hear that the new servers are going online at last, it sure has been quite a wait. If I’m correct, it shouldn’t affect me, so there’s no real negative in that respect, and even for those who it does momentarily affect, it will be a lot better in the long run.

Flag Post

Damn… Now I will have to find something else to blame Gamestop for.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Procyonpi:

Lol!

Flag Post

Duckie, why did you abandon your children in FtD? :’( </3

Flag Post

Good thing I decided to go to bed early tonight… I’ve got to rest for my final tomorrow anyway.

Flag Post

Well not bad i guess
lol

Flag Post

Good! Kong has been very touchy recently, so new servers will be great.

Of course, servers are the type of thing you only notice if they aren’t working, so chances are most people won’t even know anything happened.

Flag Post
Originally posted by logan1000:

more time on minecraft i guess

This.

Flag Post
Originally posted by GameBuilder15:
Originally posted by Procyonpi:

Lol!

The comments are the best.