Forums Kongregate

Unity web player games suck! page 3

68 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by AWESOMEMAKER:

Ok guys, i know Unity brings 3D to online gaming, next level of technology etc.
But what about games that were made lately using this technology?
(Im talking about 3,5-4 stars+)
Ok they are nice, and made in 3D, but the way the game is made, (mechanisms, balance, innovations, relpay value etc etc etc) are worth 1 star, or even less compared to what normal games can offer (For example compare unity Tower Defences with normal ones, with the same star rating).

Unity games devs!
Please, **** the graphics,
Dont let the new (great) technology remain a pretty curiosity instead of real games.

(Btw, there are a few exceptions from what im saying. Its just the overall trend im observing)

Your argument that Unity games suck because of bad gameplay has nothing to do with them being written in Unity. I’ve seen a bajillion Flash games with bad gameplay. How good a game plays depends on the game design, not on its graphics. I’ve played some fun games with horrible graphics. And I’ve played some horrible games with great graphics. Unity makes the great graphics part a little easier, but its still up to the developer and designer to actually design a good game.

It also sounds like you are judging games based on their ratings, which seems a little backwards. Aren’t you supposed to rate it based on your judgement? There’s a big prejudice against Unity on Kongregate, and I have no idea why considering it is a far more robust and sophisticated engine than Flash. Because of this prejudice, my game RedShift has a rating of less than 2.5 stars because a bunch of snot-nosed brats decided “Flash is teh l337 hax and Unity suxx0rz” and all went and down rated my game when I had the audacity to actually ask if anyone was interested in seeing it in a public chatroom on a gaming site. Yet the response I get on other websites has been overwhelmingly positive.

It’s a stupid argument. Gameplay depends entirely on the game design and the programmer. It’s got nothing to do with the development engine.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post
Or mabey it’s because your game is bad… i have seen a lot of unity games get FP’ed

Sure it’s possible my game is bad (although I did mention it does well elsewhere). It’s likely that even if it’s good, there are people that won’t like it. That’s fine. In the case I’m talking about though, that’s not what happened. They literally all said “oh its crap unity, lets all go down rate it” and did so.

The main point, though, was that a game can be good or bad regardless of the environment it’s developed in. Unity can actually publish games in Flash format. So if I take the exact same game and export it as .swf is it suddenly lots better? What are the Unity haters gonna do when they find out some of their favorite Flash games were done in Unity?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Mad_Machine:
There’s a big prejudice against Unity on Kongregate, and I have no idea why considering it is a far more robust and sophisticated engine than Flash. Because of this prejudice, my game RedShift has a rating of less than 2.5 stars because a bunch of snot-nosed brats decided “Flash is teh l337 hax and Unity suxx0rz” and all went and down rated my game when I had the audacity to actually ask if anyone was interested in seeing it in a public chatroom on a gaming site. Yet the response I get on other websites has been overwhelmingly positive.

I checked out your game just now. I don’t think the rating is anything to do with an anti-Unity bias. Your game simply needs more work on it. How well it did anywhere else is irrelevant to anything.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Mad_Machine:
Or mabey it’s because your game is bad… i have seen a lot of unity games get FP’ed

Sure it’s possible my game is bad (although I did mention it does well elsewhere). It’s likely that even if it’s good, there are people that won’t like it. That’s fine. In the case I’m talking about though, that’s not what happened. They literally all said “oh its crap unity, lets all go down rate it” and did so.

The main point, though, was that a game can be good or bad regardless of the environment it’s developed in. Unity can actually publish games in Flash format. So if I take the exact same game and export it as .swf is it suddenly lots better? What are the Unity haters gonna do when they find out some of their favorite Flash games were done in Unity?

yes a game can be good…
And we rate hpw good a game is,
your game sucked, end of story,
And i doubt that it did verry well on other websites.

Flag Post

Can anyone help me? My graphics are absolutely horrible in the unity web player games.

Flag Post
Originally posted by borton:

Can anyone help me? My graphics are absolutely horrible in the unity web player games.

Overclocking.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Xyphien:
Originally posted by WiiPlayer113:
Originally posted by Xyphien:

Sir or Ma’am, please watch the language as there are many minors on this forum.

The rating of this website is PG-13, not G.

However, there isn’t Parental advisory over this whole forum, is there? I’d prefer not to get into a debate with you, but users must watch their language on here.

Lolnope. Look at OT for a week, please. Did anyone get banned for the language they were using? Does anyone there (and anywhere else, mind you) give a shit about swearing?

NO.

Flag Post

Just gonna go ahead and say that the games don’t necessarily suck. Unity in general sucks.

Now if only Kongregate would support UDK.

Flag Post

I am just wondering if installing unity web player is a good idea, will it slow down my computer or cause viruses?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Jake_sunshine:

I am just wondering if installing unity web player is a good idea, will it slow down my computer or cause viruses?

Yes, it will cause many viruses, which is why it’s officially endorsed by Kongregate.

Flag Post

I am developing a game in unity and am still undecided about releasing it using flash conversion (which is giving us a lot of headaches (many unity features not supported) and has lower performance and the web player, which will make most people skip it to avoid installing additional plug ins. What i want above all is make a popular game.

I have taken a look at availiable unity games and actually seem technology demos more than games.

I am concerned about making the same mistake. Here is a video, what do you think? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0_iphy_R-Q

Flag Post

Great graphics! You should post it. For sure.

Flag Post
Originally posted by OMGXDMAMN:
Originally posted by AWESOMEMAKER:

Ok guys, i know Unity brings 3D to online gaming, next level of technology etc.
But what about games that were made lately using this technology?
(Im talking about 3,5-4 stars+)
Ok they are nice, and made in 3D, but the way the game is made, (mechanisms, balance, innovations, relpay value etc etc etc) are worth 1 star, or even less compared to what normal games can offer (For example compare unity Tower Defences with normal ones, with the same star rating).

Unity games devs!
Please, **** the graphics,
Dont let the new (great) technology remain a pretty curiosity instead of real games.

(Btw, there are a few exceptions from what im saying. Its just the overall trend im observing)

Hmm… Havent you noticed? They made an open source version of the old counter strike. Is it bad now?

I hadn’t noticed. Whats it called?

Flag Post

CS Portable, perhaps?

Flag Post

The only Unity game I like so far is that Bullseye game. It’s like Sierra in 3D.

Flag Post

Save Toshi and maybe Accelerator are the only good Unity games IMO.

While I do not think very highly of Unity, it certainly has more potential than it has been given.

Flag Post

Yeah, the platform has horrendous compatibility issues and almost no good developers on it just yet, but it’s got a heck of a lot more mechanical potential than Flash. Heck, forget the 3D — it can actually run elementary operations without bogging a system down to unplayability. Pretty much every good game on this site would perform better if ported to Unity.

If it had better compatibility support and developers that actually knew what they were doing, it’d have a good chance of supplanting Flash. And let’s be honest here, we’ve kind of needed that to happen for a long time, because while Flash is good for renderfarmed animation and throwing stuff together really fast, it’s a terrible runtime language with oodles of graphical overhead and ways to leak memory behind the scenes.