Forums Kongregate

Kongregate Competition Sign-Ups And Directory page 3 (locked)

81 posts

Flag Post

(Doesn’t get involved in debate) Add me on the spreadsheeters group. ;)

Flag Post

<h2>Signing Up</h2>
Name of Competition (optional): Malfunctioning Masters
Number of competitors being accepted: 101
Approximate run time: 2 Months
Names of co-hosts, spreadsheeters, etc: At the moment, whoever can volunteer for spreadsheets. For the co-host, I am still asking around, but I have plenty of time to find someone.

Flag Post

Made a few minor updates:

• Added the results spreadsheet.
  • Added the new recommendation system to the game selection section.

Flag Post

Ending competition!

Name of Competition: Remembering Retro

Link to the finals: http://www.kongregate.com/forums/1-kongregate/topics/192256

Also, sign me up for another please!

I don’t have anything planned yet, but it’s going to be a good few years.

Frisk can start his now!

Flag Post

Starting competition

Name of Competition: The Road to Gaming Greatness
Number of competitors being accepted: 96
Name of co-hosts: SamsterSamster, Glomple
Name of spreadsheeters: knio, JimmyCarlos, BlackBone, hiperson134, Fricknmaniac, Cowfriend, This_is_Creative, LethalMutiny, 123aaa789, Conquerer95, randomboy839
Link to qualifying round: http://www.kongregate.com/forums/1-kongregate/topics/192960-the-road-to-gaming-greatness-qualifying-round-96-places-oh-the-huge-manatee

Flag Post
Originally posted by TeamEgoFrisk:

Starting competition

Name of spreadsheeters: knio, JimmyCarlos, BlackBone, hiperson134, Fricknmaniac, Cowfriend, This_is_Creative, LethalMutiny, 123aaa789, Conquerer95, randomboy839
Link to qualifying round: http://www.kongregate.com/forums/1-kongregate/topics/192960-the-road-to-gaming-greatness-qualifying-round-96-places-oh-the-huge-manatee

Do you know what day you expect it to end?

Flag Post
Originally posted by MachuPichu:
Originally posted by TeamEgoFrisk:

Starting competition

Do you know what day you expect it to end?
I don't know the day I expect it to end, but it should run for just over a month.

Flag Post

Bump so it is not lost.

Flag Post

Thanks Jimmy :p

Starting competition

Name: The Pinnacle of Gaming Greatness
Number of competitors being accepted: 100
Co-hosts: uuu2
Spreadsheeters: Fricknmaniac, LethalMutiny, SilentSand, JimmyCarlos, and mayrakis
Link to qualifier: http://www.kongregate.com/forums/1-kongregate/topics/204209-the-pinnacle-of-gaming-achievement-qualifier-all-100-spots-available
End: 35(ish) days from beginning

Flag Post

Ending Competition

Link to final round/thread: http://www.kongregate.com/forums/1-kongregate/topics/203890-the-road-to-gaming-greatness-final-over-fusha-wins

Flag Post

Would you mind changing This_is_Creative to this? Same person.

Flag Post

Ending Competition

Name of Competition: The Pinnacle of Gaming Achievement
Link to final round: http://www.kongregate.com/forums/1-kongregate/topics/212204-the-pinnacle-of-gaming-achievement-final-round-ben-b-is-the-winner?page=1

Thanks to everyone who participated and helped out, especially to my co-host uuu, the spreadsheeters, frickn, bahzel, silentsand, and others, and to my four finalists for giving it a good go! Congrats to ben!

Flag Post

yes I had to do this too :P

Start…ed Competition

Name: The Colosseum
Number of competitors being accepted: No limit (probably around 100 subscriptions)
Co-hosts: Kyriva, Sukasai
Spreadsheeters: BestMte, bahzel, uuu2, videogames518, knio, hiperson134, Cowfriend
Language helper: frankiesmum
Link to qualifier: http://www.kongregate.com/forums/1/topics/212291
End: Around 45 days

Flag Post

I’ll go ahead and sign up at the end of the line again. It won’t be for a few years, so I don’t really have any of the information ready :p

Flag Post

Just bumping as Dana’s tourney comes to an end. Can’t wait for your’s, Frick!

Also, we should probably remove MicroGamer from the list. Considering she is an 11 year old girl who’s been banned around 30 times…

Flag Post

Starting competition

Name of Competition: SURVIVOR: Kongregate
Number of competitors being accepted: 120
Name of co-hosts, spreadsheeters, etc.: N/A
Link to qualifying round: http://www.kongregate.com/forums/1/topics/225105

Flag Post

Ending Competition

Name of Competition: The Colosseum
Ending Date: November, 30th 2011 8PM EST
Number of Competitors: 96
Winner: MaistlinRajere
Links: Tournament thread and spreadsheet

Special thanks for Kyriva for his continuous and constant help. It would have never run so smoothly without you.

Flag Post

I feel like giving some general suggestion for running a tournament, which isn’t covered in the main topic.

About game picks (of course it’s impossible to choose a perfect game, but be sure to consider the weight of good and bad sides):

• Each playthrough has to be fast (not longer than 10 minutes), even more in early rounds (not longer than 3-5 minutes), especially if the player is extremely good at the game;
  • Try for yourself to play the game multiple times (10-15 times) and as if you wanted to be the best ever at it; if you still aren’t bored by it, this is an extremely good candidate to be picked;
  • Act as if you wanted to cheat on the game and try various ways to exploit glitches; consider pause spamming, right clicking, lag abusing, refresh abusing. Glitches may not destroy a round, but they may make people extremely annoyed if they think someone else may use it;
  • Preferrably choose hybrid genres, since they are more likely to be enjoyed by people; in the best scenario, you would want a game where fast reflexes are a major factor, but where making smart strategic decisions may give a big advantage;
  • Think twice before using multiplayer games; it may be very hard to set them up and of course those are only suited for very late rounds;
  • Even if the game has scaling difficulty, be sure to check that it doesn’t eventually stop getting harder (this is by far the worst flaw a tournament game can have);
  • Pick games where having a tie is unlikely (even so, there will be someone who’ll ask how the tiebreaker works anyway);
  • Be happy to use games where time is a factor in the final score, since this is likely to avoid ties;
  • Newer games are usually better;
  • If you aren’t good at the game you pick, consider checking videos on the net to see how the endgame looks like;
  • Most games are lag abusable, so consider using them anyway, but be sure that, when picking multiple games, they aren’t all like that;
  • When choosing a badged game, it’s preferrable to go for a target that isn’t included in the badge itself.
  • When choosing a repeat game, it’s preferrable to use one that the remaining players haven’t faced already in a previous tournament.
  • Be sure that in early rounds your game does have a mute and a pause button.
  • You can check API submission by adding ?debug_level=4 at the end of the game URL and using the “console” in Firebug (on Chrome right click>Element Inspector>Console)

In general:

• Pick a cohost you trust; this is extremely important since you won’t want to be alone picking decisions and you will find yourself in this situation a lot (this is actually the most important advice I can give);
  • Be sure to ask suggestions in chatrooms for players that they consider very good and ask them to join your competition;
  • Be always nice and polite with your competitors, they want to have fun and aren’t there to argue, if they aren’t having fun, consider yourself to be at fault;
  • Some people are likely to complain and most of the times it is not an unreasonable request, be sure to consider that, but don’t allow people to do it just to make fun of you;
  • Always prefer to go for transparency, but there are things people don’t need to know during a round (people who cheated, gamebreaking bugs), so consider to wait for the end to announce everything that happened behind the scenes;
  • Make your announcement post as clear as possible, include in the post all the possible ingame situations and specify if they are allowed to be used;
  • Be very careful about making the deadline very clear and double check it;
  • Be lenient, but consistant with your rules and use common sense in tricky situations;
  • Plan games beforehand, but be ready to change your mind if you find something that is better suited for the userbase in the late rounds;
  • Early rounds will be the ones where you’ll be the most busy with, since you will get a lot of questions, be prepared to get in touch with a lot of players;
  • Check the screenshots carefully and always ask a second opinion when you find something weird, most of the times it is just a false positive;
  • Ask for the player’s opinion when you are pretty sure the guy is cheating; sometimes they’ll have an actual explanation, yet be sure that the questions don’t reveal your actual doubts or he’ll answer in a way that may fool you;
  • Don’t be scared of asking opinions from competitors that you consider skilled at a particular game;
  • Contact developers beforehand if you have small issues with the game; many of them are willing to help;
  • Don’t change the rules mid-round without being sure everyone knows and do it only if you feel that is extremely necessary;
  • If you are using a structure with a point system, be sure not too use too many games (not more than 3 in early rounds, not more than 5 in late ones) or the last ones may end up being meaningless.

Flag Post

Name of Competition: Undetermined
Number of competitors being accepted: 80
Approximate run time: 30~40 days
Names of co-hosts, spreadsheeters, etc.: None finalized as of yet. This post will most likely be updated as people are found.

Also, I hope frick sees this thread sometime soon, because if this thread isn’t maintained that would be kind of sad.

Flag Post

I’ve just been busy with school (which is why I’ve had to pass on my turn.) Once I finish up with exams in 2 weeks, I’ll get around to updating this thread completely and the results spreadsheet too.

Flag Post

So when you say that you’ve skipped your turn, do you mean that you’ve totally skipped it? Or are you going to take your turn after the current tournament? I was kind of looking forward to your one.

Flag Post

He’ll take his turn after the current tournament.

Flag Post

Racefan is correct, after the current tournament I’ll run mine.

Flag Post

To correct a particular notion of a particular someone as well as make a quasi-announcement:

The tournament results spreadsheet, or racefan’s sheet thingy, is updated through Danaroth’s tournament, and so is current.

Flag Post
Originally posted by SilentSand:

To correct a particular notion of a particular someone as well as make a quasi-announcement:

The tournament results spreadsheet, or racefan’s sheet thingy, is updated through Danaroth’s tournament, and so is current.

I don’t really do anything with that anymore, so I guess it’s not really appropriate for people to call it “my spreadsheet”. Sure, I created it, but I wasn’t able to update it when people wanted me to, so I turned it over. Glad to see that it’s still being updated, though.