Forums Kongregate

[Contest ends July 5th] Distraction Island 2.5 - Contest w/ kred prizes

65 posts

Flag Post

We are starting a contest today (open now!). The first 200 people to complete Distraction Island 2.5 (or the previous version, Distraction Island 2 ) will be entered to win 50 kreds.

Background
Distraction Island 2 and 2.5 were part of a research study, where we were looking at the effect of distraction on learning. We were hoping to get a number of people to play the game on Kongregate, but there turned out to be relatively little interest. Now, we’re using this contest to help us finish the experiment, by offering kred prizes for people who play the game (and finish it!).

How do I win?

• There will be 20 prizes total (50 kreds each).
  • The top 10 players (based on their Rating score, pooled between DI2.5 and DI2) will each win 50 kreds.
  • The rest of the first 200 finishers will be entered into a raffle to win one of ten raffle prizes (50 kreds each).

Details

1. The contest will end on Tuesday, July 5th, at 6am Pacific time in the US
  2. This contest is run by our research group, and is NOT an official Kongregate contest.
  3. To be eligible, you have to complete the entire game (all 75 trials, or less if you complete the game early and get the early completion bonus).
  4. It should take most people between 20-45 minutes to finish the game.)
  5. If you complete the game, you should get a score of “1” in the “Players that have completed the game” statistic (previously called “Who has completed the game?”) (under High Scores)
  6. Winners will be announced in Game News (and this thread) once the contest is complete.
  7. The contest is complete once 200 players complete the game (either Distraction Island 2.5, or the earlier version (DI2)).
  8. If there is a tie for the 20th highest score, the player who finished first (based on our server data) will be the winner.
  9. Limit one entry per person. You can do the game as many times as you want, to try to improve your score, but you will only be eligible to win one prize.
  10. We reserve the right to disqualify players who we believe have submitted hacked scores or submit multiple scores from separate accounts.
  11. Other limitations may be announced as the contest proceeds.

[Edit] Changed the number and size of prizes. Shown in bold above.

Updates
We are just about to release version 2.5 (at 1pm EST), which incorporate the improvements we made to DI2, as well as a modification to the program that changes how the game moves you through the experiment. Hopefully this version will bring in enough players to finish the contest within the next week. Scores on DI2.5 will be calculated in the same way as DI2, and so ratings will be pooled across the two games. You can play either version, but we recommend 2.5 if you have not played yet. And, you are still only eligible for one prize!

Winners
We had 37 people finish the game at least once. If we had used the 10% benchmark, we would have given out 2 high score prizes and 2 prizes by raffle. In the end, we decided to add some extra prizes, and gave out 11 total (5 for high score and 6 by raffle).

The high score winners are:
Ikara 9894
Fricknmaniac 9845
BobTheCoolGuy 8535
Bumpf 8173
HBar 8122

And, the raffle winners are:
Benetnasch
gamerdude91
ivod
Ukos
Troymr
uzzbuzz

As promised, I’ll post a more thorough description of how the game works tomorrow, but feel free to share your tips. And again, to everyone who gave the game a try, thanks for your help!

Flag Post

Go troll somewhere else, you can’t give non-developers kreds unless you log into their account and buy kreds for them, WHICH IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN! Nice try, though.

Flag Post

Ah, a Unity game.
I’ll give it a try.

Flag Post

Given a try; not worth playing it even if you’d pay us 100 kreds actually.

Flag Post

@Wiggles96: We’re not trying to troll. It is true that you cannot move kreds to non-developers, but we have spoken with a moderator, and have approval to make the transfers when the contest is complete. I can give you more details if you want, but the contest is legit. Ducklette can vouch for us.

@Danaroth: Thanks for giving it a try! 100 kreds is pretty steep. Maybe for the top score….

Flag Post

Also, for people who have struggled in the game, one thing I’ve noticed is that people often go to the incorrect pedestal/cylinder, even after many trials in the game. To do well, and finish quickly, you should learn to find your target on your first try. (The idea is that there are two targets you are searching for, and on each trial we place one of them in one of the 8 cylinders. You should try to learn how to find the target on your first try, and if you do you’ll get the maximum number of points, and move through the game more quickly).

Flag Post

If it’s unity, I’ll try, but don’t expect any guarantees. Unity games don’t tend to work on my clunky ol’ POS computer

Flag Post

Okay 2 points.
1. If you figure it out early, what is the point of 75 trials? (yes I know about the early finish, but still, 35?)
2. If you can’t figure it out, then it is not fun. It is just tedious.

Since everyone falls in one of the two categories, I’m not sure that anyone really wants to play this game.

Flag Post

The worst part is that even if you figure it out, you might not have it figured out.

I got 7 200s in a row, and then completely failed to find the cube anymore, using the same system.

Flag Post

This contest has been approved, but not endorsed by us. He is doing this out of his own pocket. :)

Flag Post

Alright. Figured the game out. There is a way to solve it other than random guessing. *grumble grumble* :P

Flag Post

Not bad I got about 14k score; just memorized all the scenery and where the targets were. 4th All-time so far.

Flag Post

Well, I figured out the pattern… then the pattern changed. I doubt my score will end up in the top 20, so I’ll take my chances with the raffle then. It was fun to do once, but I don’t think I’d want to play it again.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Fricknmaniac:

Well, I figured out the pattern… then the pattern changed. I doubt my score will end up in the top 20, so I’ll take my chances with the raffle then. It was fun to do once, but I don’t think I’d want to play it again.

I concur.

Flag Post

A shame how over one hundred have played and only nine have completed it.

Amusingly enough, I found the pattern during the sequence memorization bit and then lost it again afterwards. Memorizing the sequences was the simplest part of the game. Unlikely to play again, namely because I don’t care for Unity as a platform in the first place. Second highest score as of yet, anyway.

Flag Post

Wow, this is really generous!

Although you may have to halve the amount of winners and entrants, as I don’t think 400 people will finish a 75 stage game, especially with such slow movement. Seriously, increase walking speed D:

(Oh, and I’m 10th all-time at the moment. Shweet :D)

EDIT: Make that 1st. 7179 points at Stage 57.

EDIT2: Bah. Confused Score with Rating. And I didn’t know time had a factor, I regularly afk’d during the game. Oh well, 10th to finish and 8th highest score anyway.

Flag Post

Do you think it will get 400 completions?

Flag Post

Thanks for the feedback!

@sam112292222…: Once you “figure it out,” you’ll be moved to the next condition (like when the memory trials start). And, if you are doing well, we’ll end the game early (so you don’t have to do all 75 trials).

@ivod: I hope we’ll get to 400. But, if it looks like we can’t make it, I’ll consider shortening the contest (like ending at 200, and giving out 10 prizes to the top 10 players, and 10 raffle prizes, so that your overall chance of winning remains constant (i.e. 1 out of every ten people who complete the game will get a prize: 40 out of 400 or 20 out of 200, etc.). We’ve had 13 people complete it since we started last night.

Flag Post

The game is a serious piece of crap. I played the first few levels, and I did not see any kind of strategy. It was simply go to a random cylinder and hope it was in there. It’s a piece of shit, and barely qualifies as a game. The fact that you couldn’t even convince people to play the game shows what a bad game it is. There were so many easy ways to improve the game, like maybe just setting the 8 or so cylinders and letting us click on them to reduce the time needed for the fat player controlled character to get his ass over there. The trials seem to be exactly the same, with different textured boxes. 25 kreds? That’s bullshit, that’s $2.50. You can buy 50 kreds for 5 dollars. There are much easier studies out there that pay 50 dollars guaranteed to each participant. Wabash College must be hurting for cash. If you wanted 400 participants, go ask around in your college for 400 people to play the game, and offer them a real reward.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Fricknmaniac:

Okay, so I totally lied. I went back and did it again after sleeping on it, I thought of a few different ways to look for the patterns, and I ended up discovering all the patterns. I ended up finishing early, around trial 40 something. Now that I know the pattern, it was a lot more fun, so heck, I may ever go back again to try and improve my score some more. (This is where my competitive nature comes into play and having to min/max everything.)

Though my reaction time still wasn’t below 12k yet, I think that’s probably what I want to improve the most.

Flag Post

Hey guys! Just to clarify: since this is a research study, we agreed to help behaviorgames give out Kreds prizes; at the end of the competition we will put them directly into the winners’ accounts.

If you’re not interested there’s no need to participate, but there’s also no need to hate. :) It’s for science!

Flag Post

Mmmaybe tomorrow i could give it a shot

Flag Post

i played it, quit around level 12 with getting 5 or so first cylinder bonuses, no idea what the pattern is. but the slow movement made the game really unappealing for me to keep playing :(

Flag Post

Gave it a go, and got the forth highest all time score on my first try! ^^

If I get 25 Kreds for it then it was well worth doing.

Flag Post

Finished it. I did start getting some lag at the beginning of some levels, but it went away. (Crappy score to go with it, anyway)