Forums Kongregate

[Contest ends July 5th] Distraction Island 2.5 - Contest w/ kred prizes page 2

65 posts

Flag Post

Thanks to everyone who has tried the game so far! Right now, we’ve only had 18 people finish it (which is a long way from 400). We want to finish this contest by the end of next week, but at this rate, that would seem unlikely.

So, we are dropping the number of people from 400 to 200. And, we are dropping the number of prizes from 40 to 20. Your chances of winning are still 1 in 10 (20 people out of the first 200 will win a prize).

And, we arealso doubling the size of the prizes from 25 kreds to 50 kreds. The changes are made in the original post, and are flagged with bold text. Everyone who has already finished the game is already entered in the contest.

Let us know if you have any questions!

Flag Post

I have to say, the game isn’t exactly designed to make casual people want to finish it.

The movement is frustratingly slow, particularly the turning.

Figuring out the way you have hidden the cubes is fairly unintuitive, and very off-putting.

The fact that there are 75 trials that you have to play through if you aren’t doing well, which is more than a reasonable test of patience.

Edit: I say this after playing through the game several times in order to work it out. I understand you designed it with your testing in mind, but from the player standpoint, the game is fairly aggravating.

Flag Post

This game lags so bad that it took me literally 20 minutes to close out of the tab that the game was on.

Flag Post

@Ukos: thanks for the feedback. We could certainly increase the speed of movement, but it might be better to allow the player to control their overall speed. Since speed factors into your score, we’d probably weight the speed (so that don’t increase your score simply for moving faster). When we’ve run these games in other samples (non-gamers, for instance) we saw a lot of nausea (as people turned at fast rates). The current speed was chosen to minimize nausea. We could change the number of trials, but the reason we use 75 is so that hopefully people will figure out how to find the cubes before we move to the memory trials. Overall, this has been a useful experience, but mostly for us to see that our normal experiments won’t port well to a casual gaming site. But, that’s why we introduced the prizes for DI2, and this will help us as we work on a new game (that will hopefully be entertaining to play =).

@WiiPlayer113: can you tell me what browser/OS you are using? And, when does it lag? I just played through 3-4 trials on my computer, and did not observe noticeable lag.

Flag Post

The instructions say “Feel free to try to play multiple times to maximize your rating”. But when I went through the game a second time and improved my rating (from 7486 to 77xx), it didn’t update on the high scores list. Are the instructions wrong about the possibility of maximizing your rating?

Flag Post
Originally posted by behaviorgames:

@WiiPlayer113: can you tell me what browser/OS you are using? And, when does it lag? I just played through 3-4 trials on my computer, and did not observe noticeable lag.

Google Chrome. As soon as I start the game all the way until I completely close Google Chrome, just closing the game tab does not make the lag go away. Also, I tried it again with the same result as the first time.

Flag Post

Nope, I played through a couple of times and it correctly updated my score in the high score list. So possibly it was just a fluke that yours didn’t update.

Flag Post

@WiiPlayer113: I haven’t tested it with Chrome myself, but I’ll try it this weekend (I usually use FireFox). Edit Are you using a Mac or PC?

@HBar: I’ll look in our database, and see if I can find the higher score. If so, we’ll count your higher score (and we’ll do the same for any we find in our database that seem to be not accurately recorded on the Ratings tab).

And yes, the stat should take your maximum score. Each time you run the game, your rating is submitted to Kong, and Kong saves your max score (so a higher score should replace the old one).

Edit: it looks like Hbar is up over 8k, so hopefully the problem is solved!

Flag Post

Thanks for checking into it. And yes, after Fricknmaniac’s post I tried a third time and my score updated correctly.

Flag Post
Originally posted by behaviorgames:

@WiiPlayer113: I haven’t tested it with Chrome myself, but I’ll try it this weekend (I usually use FireFox). Edit Are you using a Mac or PC?

PC, laptop.

Flag Post

I went through the game once on Chrome (12.0.742.100) on a desktop (Running Windows 7) and didn’t notice any lag. I have some laptops at work, and I’ll try it on one of those (using Chrome) on Monday.

Edit Obviously, my score will not count for the contest =)

Flag Post

If you could let us define speeds for ourselves, adjusting the speed bonus accordingly you certainly would have a lot more people not forfeiting at the 5th trial.

Flag Post

We’ll look at it: we might be able to put in user controls for the speed sometime next week. Thanks for the suggestions!

Flag Post

Ok, I’ve just posted an updated version of the game, which allows you to change your speed. During the game, there will be a “+” in the bottom, right-hand corner (and your current speed will be shown). Click + to increase your speed. You can go up to 10, which represents a 266% increase in speed (let me know if that is not fast enough).

Going faster will not affect your rating, but may make the game less tedious. Let me know what you think!

Flag Post

I’m gonna bump this as (looking at the today tab) nobody has completed this “game” at all today. Come on people, you could win 50 Kreds! (And I want to find out if I’ll get any…)

Flag Post

Thanks, Ikara! The contest seems to have stalled out, but we’re hoping that we can still get 200 people. If we can’t do that in a reasonable time, then we’ll end the contest early, and likely give out prizes under the 10% rule (that prizes go to at least 10% of the people who have completed the game.

We have posted a new version of the game: Distraction Island 2.5 If you’ve already done version 2, there’s no reason to do the new version, but hopefully this one will attract some new players. Version 2.5 takes the changes that people had suggested for version 2 (like flexible speeds, changes to the instructions, etc.) and adds some new changes to how fast you are moved through the trials (mainly to go easier on people: if you aren’t finding the targets on your first try, we won’t move you on to the memory trials). If you did well, these changes would have no impact on your score, but if you had a hard time, these changes should (hopefully) make the game less frustrating. We’ve also redone the instructions for 2.5 and made a few bug fixes.

Flag Post

Glad to be of help. I have “played” the updated version of the game/test and can verify that it is less tedious now, although the turning rate needed increasing, not just the movement speed. I also increased my score. I’m curious as to what you intend to do about people who complete both games? If you only count them once, you’d need to be careful to take the highest score from either game. Some people (like myself) may move to the updated game to play and set their high score there, and others may just test the new game but never beat their score on the first game.

My vote is two entries for people who complete both games… ^^

*Rubs hands at the thought of 100 Kreds.*

Flag Post

You’ve already given them the information that they wanted from you. Having the same person do it twice provides no further information for them, it’s just the same thing that they got before. Giving you 100 kreds is just silly.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Luisn002:

You’ve already given them the information that they wanted from you. Having the same person do it twice provides no further information for them, it’s just the same thing that they got before. Giving you 100 kreds is just silly.

I think you have overlooked the fact that it was a joke, and an aside to my actual post.

Flag Post

=) Thanks, Ikara for the suggestion. I had seen a few other people who had mentioned the speed (of rotation). So, I just uploaded a new version tonight that allows you to increase your rotation speed: hopefully that is helpful! You can manipulate forward/backward and rotation separately, so people can fine-tune those parameters to suit their preference.

And, for people who complete both games, I’ll certainly take the higher score, as you suggested. Since the scores are calculated in the same way in both games, it is equivalent to repeating the game and getting a better score (and the Kong statistic is designed to replace your old score if you get a better one).

Flag Post

The thing I’m most curious about it is what determines the length of the string for the memory tests. After completing the game I started again without refreshing and got 5 letter strings (significantly harder than 2 letter strings.)

Unfortunately I did get a 9845 legit score and it didn’t submit to the API, maybe the game thinks I cheated to get it. (Though I think it may have something to do with the speed/turning changes, I increased the turning to two, but left the speed at one, and it gave me a reaction time of under 8000 ms, as opposed to the previous game where I had the speed at 3, but the turning at 2, and my reaction was around 12000 ms.)

Edit: Just got over 9000 again and it didn’t submit, but I got only 2 letter strings. I’m going to refresh and see if it submits then. (Heck, maybe it just doesn’t submit any score over 9000.)

edit edit: I refreshed and my score submitted, so my suggestion is if you want to play it multiple times, refresh between plays or your score won’t submit.

Flag Post

Wait, there are less than 5-letter strings? I have only ever gotten 5-letter ones.

Flag Post

I got like 6461 rating. And my average milliseconds was 12095. Do I still count as excellent?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ukos:

Wait, there are less than 5-letter strings? I have only ever gotten 5-letter ones.

I’ve only ever gotten 2 or 5. Probably about 80/20 split between 2 and 5.

Flag Post

There are several random variables in the game, and string length (for the memory trials) is one of them =)

@destroyer57345: 6k and above is a definitely a good score. As far as what should count as excellent, the game has a rough set of boundaries, to give people feedback, but I’d use the High Score ranking as a better indicator of what the top tier scores can be.

@Fricknmaniac: I’ll look in our database, to see if your 9.8k score was logged to our servers. If so, I’ll use that score for the contest, and perhaps Kong can add it to the High Scores.