Forums Kongregate

[Contest ends July 5th] Distraction Island 2.5 - Contest w/ kred prizes page 3

65 posts

Flag Post

I really don’t know how can giving a prize for someone to get a best score could help on your research. This way people will find out how the game works, then just keep on the boring repeat-until-max-score-or-until-bored grind. Also I can see that it some random things, like initial tile placement, is a luck factor which really does make that grind needed for reaching a max score since you must get lucky first-runs.

By the way if you could pm me more about your research, how are you collecting data and how are you using it would be nice.

Flag Post

Back playing this again. The turning controls are nice, although the increase in speed is a little steep. I don’t think I could control it above 2. I had also noticed that scores didn’t seem to submit when you replayed the game, my advise is refreshing after each play through. It would be nice if that could be fixed (maybe along with a slightly less extreme turning speed scale), but it isn’t a big problem. The game is certainly a lot easier to play than when I first attempted it.

@Lebossle: Only half of the prizes are for high scores, the other half are awarded randomly. It also doesn’t interfere with their data as you need to fill out the extra information at the end of game to get the full score, and that includes asking whether you have played before. If anything it might be interesting to see how quickly people learn to increase their score in the game. The high score prizes are probably there to make people to play more and encourage others to join in.

Flag Post

Well, I’ve completed this game twice now. Finding out how it works was really easy, by turn 10 (of which at least 5 were spend aimlessly walking into things) or so on my first go through the ‘game’ I’d figured out how it worked (minor changes aside – spoilers prevent me from going into it). My first run through got me like 6.5k(rounded) with a reaction of 30000 or so? The score didn’t submit or was not visible on the kong high score list at least, so I decided to play again.

2nd time went a bit better of course, as there was no real learning curve any more. Got about 8.8k(rounded) and under 12000 reaction, but again the score is not visible on kong. I had a green light during the entire time i played. 1st time I had the speed and turning at 2, 2nd time I had them both at 1.

A shame my score wouldn’t submit, I would have liked to have had the opportunity to win 50 kreds.

I’m fairly confident I can reasonably easily increase my score to over 9k on subsequent tries, but if it’s not submitting, then what’s the point eh. Oh well, … ^^

Flag Post
Originally posted by Tetsuo_Shima:

2nd time went a bit better of course, as there was no real learning curve any more. Got about 8.8k(rounded) and under 12000 reaction, but again the score is not visible on kong. I had a green light during the entire time i played. 1st time I had the speed and turning at 2, 2nd time I had them both at 1.

As mentioned twice before, you have to refresh between attempts, or any attempt after the first won’t submit.

Flag Post

I have finished it with a score of 7k. Hopefully i’ll get some luck and earn me some kreds:)

Flag Post
Originally posted by Fricknmaniac:

As mentioned twice before, you have to refresh between attempts, or any attempt after the first won’t submit.

Ah, that explains why it didn’t submit the 2nd time, still doesn’t explain the 1st time though. ^^
Admittedly, I didn’t read the thread carefully, just skimmed through very rapidly.
I’ll give it another shot then, won’t do it a 4th time though. =)

edit:
3rd time through, still no kong stats visible. Such is life I guess…

Flag Post

It is odd to me that you would have to refresh in order to actually submit scores (though I could imagine that refreshing would make a submitted score visible, if they are downloaded/updated on your local machine when the page loads). So long as the unity webplayer can send data to our server, your scores should be saved in our database. But, if you see that your scores aren’t submitted, let me know. Once the contest is over (we’re at one week now, we’ll let it go at least through the weekend to see how close we can get to 200 players).

@Lebossle: I’d be happy to let you know more about the project: once the contest is over, I’ll post a more thorough “debriefing” and if I have time, I’ll do a quick summary of the data we have at that point. And certainly, the prizes do encourage grinding, but we’re most interested in the first time people play the game (so, we may or may not look at the repeat attempts). But, we allow people to try as many times as they want, so that they can improve their score.

Flag Post

I’m sure you all know this, but if you’re not sure if a rating has submitted, change the category to a different one, then back to rating. This will refresh the highscore board and you can see if it is there.

Flag Post

It looks like the number of new players completing the game is leveling off, so we’re planning to end the contest on Tuesday morning (July 5th) at 6am Pacific time. After that, it will take us a few days to sort through the entries and verify scores. If we don’t hit 200 players finishing the game, our plan is to give out prizes to at least 10% of the players who do complete the game by Tuesday.

Flag Post

Looks like this has ended now. Do we get to find out who won Kreds? I still hold the top score across both games! ^^

Flag Post

We’re sorting through the scores now, and once we have the winners, I’ll post the results. I’m hoping we’ll have them up by the end of the week, and thanks to everyone who helped out! It looks like we had 37 people complete the game (either DI2 or DI2.5) at least one time. This was short of our goal, but it will still be helpful for our research project.

Flag Post

Alright: the scores are tabulated, and the winners have gotten their kreds (so far as I know). Thanks again to everyone who helped us out, and I’ll post a more detailed description of how the game works tomorrow.

Flag Post

Yay! This was an awesome contest! Any chance of a winners list? I’d quite like to know who got the randomly drawn prizes. And for those who are interested here is what I worked out about the game:

First of all, the pillars where the cubes are hidden are both chosen at random for each game. They do not change position on the island from then on (but other things change which may make you think they’ve moved). You should find both of them in the first two rounds, and then remember where they are from then on. You will need to remember where they are relative to your starting position/orientation (remember, for example, second left) and relative to the background (look at what is behind the pillar and remember that). If you remember relative position first, you can use the remaining rounds before the memory trials to memorise the background positions.

Now, you should reach the memory trials quite quickly. After that finishes things change slightly. Either you will start facing a different direction on the island, or the background will rotate to a different position, at random each round. Of course the two are indiscernible due to the island’s symmetry, so you need to work out which is happening. If the background has moved, the cubes will still be in the same position relative to where you start (second left, etc.) so use that to locate them and ignore the background from then on. If that doesn’t work (you should know after one mistake) you started facing a different direction, so look at the background to locate the cube instead.

After a while, the method will switch (you’ll know because you will suddenly make a mistake). Simply switch to whichever method you weren’t using and carry on until the game ends. With a little practice you can get your reaction times down to ~6000ms, and some luck will mean you only make 3-4 mistakes in the whole game.

Hopefully that will put at ease the mind of anyone who was completely lost in this game.

Flag Post

Hi Ikara,

Great: the list is in the opening post, but here is another copy:

Winners
We had 37 people finish the game at least once. If we had used the 10% benchmark, we would have given out 2 high score prizes and 2 prizes by raffle. In the end, we decided to add some extra prizes, and gave out 11 total (5 for high score and 6 by raffle).

The high score winners are:
Ikara 9894
Fricknmaniac 9845
BobTheCoolGuy 8535
Bumpf 8173
HBar 8122

And, the raffle winners are:
Benetnasch
gamerdude91
ivod
Ukos
Troymr
uzzbuzz

And, I’d say that is a pretty good description of how the game works. Except, that we technically don’t rotate the background (Unity doesn’t seem to like to move terrains around) but we do rotate the targets with your starting location (which accomplishes pretty much the same effect).

Flag Post

Thanks again to everyone who tried out Distraction Island last summer. In case you are interested, I wanted to let you know that we have a new game, Escape from Zargnon that came out over the weekend.

Like Distraction Island, EfZ was made as part of a research study, but we hope that the game is more entertaining than our first Kongregate game.