Forums Kongregate

*Mobile Contest Winners Announced* page 2

33 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by SamsterSamster:

Awesome winners, with massive prizes!

Will any of them getting mobile badges soon? ;)

Cat God, Upbot, and Picma Squared already have. There are still 22 left on the list though. Get working AC! >:D

Flag Post

Kongratulations Nerdook and all the other winners.

Flag Post

The “problem” isn’t the devs (except maybe the other companies that upload here, as they can upload already tried and popular games), it’s the players. Games win because they get voted up; if the players are voting games up based on the dev, then they’re just shooting themselves in the foot as far as attracting new developers. If those devs are actually making the best and most fun games, then they bloody deserve to win and the fact that you don’t like it that they don’t bow out after a few wins comes off as whiny.

If your problem is the lack of “originality” in the games, as in, games inspired by/updated from older games, then maybe we still want to play those games. I’ll agree that it’s a shame that the big winners weren’t made just for the contest, but if someone can make a good full Kong game that still runs mobile, more power to them.

Flag Post

So… when will the money get sent? Still waiting nevermind, got it;)

Flag Post

atta boy nerdook!

Flag Post

Well done winners!

Flag Post
Originally posted by Weatherbeard:

The “problem” isn’t the devs (except maybe the other companies that upload here, as they can upload already tried and popular games), it’s the players. Games win because they get voted up; if the players are voting games up based on the dev, then they’re just shooting themselves in the foot as far as attracting new developers. If those devs are actually making the best and most fun games, then they bloody deserve to win and the fact that you don’t like it that they don’t bow out after a few wins comes off as whiny.

If your problem is the lack of “originality” in the games, as in, games inspired by/updated from older games, then maybe we still want to play those games. I’ll agree that it’s a shame that the big winners weren’t made just for the contest, but if someone can make a good full Kong game that still runs mobile, more power to them.

I’m assuming you’re responding to what I said. The lack of originality was not the focus, and just a minor problem I noticed. The problem I am focusing on, which you also supported, is that new devs are not being drawn to it. This had the potential to become a fantastic way for new devs to rise up, and ended up like everything else. Just a popularity contest between already famous devs, and also the fact that the famous devs pretty much shut out the new ones for a variety of reasons.

Flag Post

@Weatherbeard:
I always support new developers and nerdook is far from my favourite developers, yet can you honestly say that, regardless of the person who made it, there was an actually better game?
My personal favourite in that list is “Upbot goes up”, but I can see why nerdook was picked, since the difference in quality and visuals is very noticeable.

Instead of the players, I’d blame the developers who don’t pull out more competitive games.

I personally don’t think Kongregate made this contest to showcase new developers or new ideas, but to enhance the experience for Mobile Kong users. Most of that userbase is actually separate from the main website and they don’t even consider if they are mobile exclusives. And even if it’s not separate, I personally also usually rate the same games with the same rating on Kong and MobileKong; I see no reason to differentiate them if they both work flawlessly on both platforms. If I’m able to play my favourite games both from my laptop and my mobile that’s just a plus and I see no reason not to support people who give me the chance to choose where I want to play their games.