Forums Kongregate

Lack of impossibles

28 posts

Flag Post

I noticed the last impossible badge released was No Orb Left Behind and that was the 31st badge released. We now have 72 badges. So we haven’t had a new impossible since the first half of badges. I’m not trying to beg, but we haven’t had any new impossibles in a LONG time. Greg, are you planning on adding any soon?

Flag Post

Well ketchup greg is trying as in with the new asteroids badge, but it just seems that the majority of Kongregate is too hardcore for greg to even comprhend so he has to think of something OMG impossible before making another one.

Flag Post

lol, what Frag said, even the DTD 100 impossible is pretty widely won.

Flag Post

Of the 6 impossible badges I’ve released, 3 were changed to hard. It is an incredibly difficult thing for me to balance, as I don’t feel that anything I’m able to personally achieve within the constraints of my work schedule could ever warrant an “impossible” status (in other words, if Greg can do it amid his day of juggling 10 other things, it’s probably too easy for the “impossible” label).

This forces me to rely on high scores and the opinions of others, both of which are often incredibly unreliable in the face of exploits and high scores being deceptively low because people just weren’t trying very hard. When the DTD badge was released, I received a lot of criticism because only 2 people in the history of the site had ever scored high enough. Now the badge is flooded.

My original goal was for these to be the 4 difficulties:

Easy – anyone can do it with minimal effort

Medium – almost anyone can do it with a bit of practice or time

Hard – not everyone can achieve it, requires a good chunk of practice/effort

Impossible – complete bullshit, truly rare, something that’s meant to make people think “holy crap” when they see it in someone’s profile

My original goal was for it to be a bit impractical for one single person to obtain multiple “impossible” badges, and at this I have already failed. I’m therefore trying to be more careful (which I again failed at with the Asteroids badge).

Summary: Impossible badges are incredibly difficult to balance, I don’t feel I’ve done a terribly great job so far (with 50% of them being changed to “hard” after their creation), and I want to be more careful about releasing them in the future.

Flag Post

Well Greg, to be perfectly honest, it’s because the badge has the label of ‘impossible’ that myself and most of the DM1 gang work at getting them. Usually we can’t get them right away and it takes significant effort, so there’s a feeling of accomplishment when finished. Plus, that makes at least 10 of us that have all but 1 or 2 of the badges made, myself I’m just missing RPN, which I know it’s been said that it’s not impossible quality of a badge, yet its the only one that I can’t get, along with many other people and the people that do get it never want to play the game again…but I digress.

In short, I doubt it will be truely possible to make many badges that will have that ‘holy cow they have that badge??!’ sort of feel to it, just because of the number of passionate, determined, and/or lifeless gamers on here. :D

So don’t feel that it was a misjudgement putting the difficulty at impossible, because most of the time it will just be that there’s enough of us badge whores out there that will get it no matter what.

Flag Post

yeah, basically ditto to Frag XD

Flag Post

You know…being entirely honest, Greg, I really doubt if there is such as thing as Impossible. I do feel you’re underestimating our community…if it can be done, I’m sure that there’ll always be folks who’ll flood the badge. ((Myself one of them, of course. laughs)) I don’t know what it is, exactly, but for me, it’s like…if there’s something truly amazing in front of me, I’ll do everything in my power to reach that point and surpass it. Spartakips hit the nail on the head, really…there’re just so many lifeless gamers on here that I don’t think a true impossible badge will ever be created.

At least…not one that won’t have at least 25 owners of said badge a few weeks after the badge is originally released.

Flag Post

Greg, perhaps release badges as hard initially to gauge how difficult it is. If very, very few can do it, make it impossible, with the 30 extra points given retroactively. The impossible badges we have now take a lot more time than the hards so being fewer in number doesn’t really matter. I’m sure people will be happier getting extra points than having them taken away

Flag Post

Well, No Orb Left Behind was really good balanced. It was good game and so f*ing hard to get it. DTD badge is not easy also, but there are plenty of movies on YouTube with complete walkthrough… I think You should look especially for good-skill-required games like Orbular.

Flag Post

Dragily, it’s called stubbornness. :p

Really though, I think that’s a feat found in most hardcore gamers. Seeing something that has been marked as impossible, is like showing the infamous red cloth to a bull. It makes people go “Hell no! I’m going to get this badge, no matter how much time I have to waste, no matter how much my life will go on a standstill!”. Okay, so maybe not so much with the life, but you get the point. :p

Also keep in mind that, whenever there is a truely hard or impossible badge, like DTD, lots of people will ask for a guide for it because it’s so hard for most people to achieve. At some point somebody will make such a guide, on popular demand, and once that’s done, everybody will have the badge, because the guide, if not completes it for you, at least takes a huge load off the effort you’d have to put into it.

Personally, regardless of guides and such, I still have those moments you mentioned, greg. For instance I have nothing but respect for the people who truly did the DTD 100 on their own, before the guide came out, of which I know a few, dazzer for instance. Particles is also a badge that will make me go wow, and both of them I have failed to complete yet, even with the DTD 100 guide, so that to me will always be a true impossible badge, even when I get it because of the effort and the difficulty that truly is put into that badge.

In closure, I think the only way to make a truely impossible badge that would do it for you, greg, would be to have a badge for a game where the gameplay was incredibly random, so that there could be no videos made, and no guides written.

Flag Post

Make one which is like get to level 100 in RPN. THAT would be impossible.

Flag Post

>have a badge for a game where the gameplay was incredibly random, so that there could be no videos made, and no guides written.

Ex : Beat Electric Bar with 0 deaths? It’s not random but require very good skill.

>Make one which is like get to level 100 in RPN. THAT would be impossible.

It’s way too hard. Especially after Level 30. :(

Flag Post

Remember Greg, not only does the difficulty of video games decrease (compare SMB to NSMB for example), but these are flash games, which means that nobody really gives a damn about making a “hard” game because they just want to mess around and make sure they don’t break down completely. And afaik, most flash games are made by one single person for a few months.

AFAIK, most people can’t get past level 31 because the game freezes.

Flag Post

Ex : Beat Electric Bar with 0 deaths? It’s not random but require very good skill.

Yeah, and without using a password of course. That would make for a good badge. Not sure whether it should be hard or impossible though, since it’s so short.

And *cough* 100+ deaths *cough*

Flag Post

I don’t know why you guys like Electric Bar. I really don’t care for it.

Flag Post

Kannushu_Link obviously does, because it’s his game. And personally I find this to be one of the better games in the whole mouse maze genre.

Flag Post

OR ex. get All perfects in super crazy maniac guitar 2 O.o

Flag Post

Well, No Orb Left Behind was really good balanced. It was good game and so f*ing hard to get it. DTD badge is not easy also, but there are plenty of movies on YouTube with complete walkthrough… I think You should look especially for good-skill-required games like Orbular.

Yeah, Orbular was a good one. It takes a long time as well so there’s a lot of opportunites to screw up. The Last Stand was a good impossible too, though too bad the bug couldn’t be fixed. I’m not good at tower defence games myself, but a video from youtube helped me to get the hard badge second try (I had only played medium and the 100 previously, the latter with very limited success). Particles, Luminara and Gamma Bros could do with impossible badges, to name just a few.

I don’t know why you guys like Electric Bar. I really don’t care for it.

It’s Kannushi’s game. Not dying would be more annoying than impossible. Clearly, completing the game means you are capable of not dying, I think a hard badge for under a certain time would be good though (400 seconds, 350?) but that’s just from looking at high scores.

Flag Post

It’s Kannushi’s game. Not dying would be more annoying than impossible. Clearly, completing the game means you are capable of not dying, I think a hard badge for under a certain time would be good though (400 seconds, 350?) but that’s just from looking at high scores.

Actually, that’s not true. You can die as many times as you want within the game,it just puts you back to the start of the current level. So with enough time and patience on your hands, you can easily defeat the game. The hard part is doing it without dying once. That requires a lot of patience and a very calm mouse hand.

Flag Post

If you complete the game, you have managed to not die on every level, thus are capable of getting the badge. It’s just annoying to do all in one go when you know you are capable of doing it but keep dying on the later levels. Rewarding only not dying would not be a good badge since anyone who has completed it can achieve it, provided they do not smash up their mouse. All I’m saying is that it’s not hard to do (unless you found the game hard), but would be very time consuming. The skill would be in completing it in under a certain time

Flag Post

Especially with how much it locks up on people after they complete level 30.

Flag Post

My duh moment of the day…
What’s RPN?

Flag Post

Ring Not Pass

Flag Post

Here’s an idea:

Beat the Impossible Quiz 2 without losing a life.

=P

Flag Post

Too easy. Once you get the memorization down, it’s not bad at all. Just have to use skips on some of the harder questions where you have to do something…like the third maze or similar. Plus, I don’t think that the API is in TIQ2 anyway…