Forums Kongregate

Badges on Unity Games! Orly?

108 posts

Flag Post

So we’re finally getting around to adding badges to some of the most popular Unity games on the site. By now, there’s a pretty good stockpile of fairly excellent games that have been highly rated and have our API implemented. One of the reasons it has taken as long as it has to add badges to Unity games is that we know that it’s less than fair to users who run operating systems (namely Linux) that aren’t supported by the Unity web player. While those users won’t be able to earn the badges for right now, we felt that we still wanted to be able to promote these awesome games to the majority of people who can play the games. However, we still want to be fair to the people who can’t earn these badges and not have it ruin your Kongregate experience. So first, we’re including a little watermark image with the Unity logo on all badges that are assigned to Unity games, as you can see here:

This way, you’ll be able to see that a badge is tied to a Unity game before you click on it and get super disappointed. Secondly, we currently don’t have any plans on making any challenges, time-limited quests, or badges of the day associated with games that run on Unity. This way if there is Linux support added in the future, those users are free to go back and earn everything Unity-related on the site.

To kick off the Unity badging goodness, we’re starting with the staff favorite: Save Toshi!

Edit: We’ve actually updated our policy regarding Unity badges and time-limited challenges. You can read more about it here.

Flag Post

Noooooooooooooooooo.

Palpatine smiles evilly.

Flag Post

Kudos to Kongregate for coming up with a solution that is fair to both Unity game developers and Linux users.

Flag Post

So will they not show up on the all badges list? Or does that just take a little bit to update and I’m being impatient?

Edit: And sounds great – looking forward to Unity badges!

Flag Post

Well that’s another set of badges I won’t be earning. Unity crashes my connection to kong’s chat, and so scores won’t submit.

Flag Post

That’s cool. I can’t wait for more badges.

Flag Post

All badges have a 15-30 minute lag from being made to showing up on the /badges page. They’ll be there.

@Hiperson: Are you using chrome? I’ve ran into some bugs on Chrome where launching Unity sometimes crashes Flash and disconnects me from chat. Updating Chrome and Unity appears to have fixed it for me, but you may try using Firefox/etc if you want to earn them.

Flag Post

I actually like this! Thanks, Kongregate!

Flag Post

gasps! Yo ho ho, new Unity booty badges! ;)

PS: They were going to cast me for the role of Toshi but since I didn’t have fine enough legs I was passed over :3

Flag Post

Yay for Unity badges.

I’m not a fan of the game you picked (its just a 3d version of every other flash physics game) but I’m hoping Accelerator is next in line :D

Flag Post

Ok for the badges, no real affect for me.

Game is odd though…

Flag Post

Finally! We were waiting for this moment!
Hopefully my unity player wont tilt now
Badge suggestions: Badges for sarahs run and bullseye and for BeGone

Flag Post

Been there got that badge. The biggest hint for the badge is that you can often double hit wood, so you can break it in one ball rather than two. (Also, a subtrophy score=3 stars+ = 4 stars.)

Flag Post
Originally posted by Thok:

Been there got that badge. The biggest hint for the badge is that you can often double hit wood, so you can break it in one ball rather than two. (Also, a subtrophy score=3 stars+ = 4 stars.)

That is a very helpful tip. Thanks.

Flag Post

>see obnoxious catgirl picture
>go to flag
>realize it’s an admin
>oshi-

Flag Post

Notice how the first unity game to get badges involves a catgirl

THIS IS A GOOD SIGN FOR THE FUTURE OF UNITY BADGES!!!

Flag Post
Originally posted by Mafefe_:

Notice how the first unity game to get badges involves a catgirl

THIS IS A GOOD SIGN FOR THE FUTURE OF UNITY BADGES!!!

I was gonna say. That is one suggestive image there, Mojo Jojo.

Flag Post

Since when has Unity been available for Linux? I’ve stopped using my Linux dual boot partition when I wanted to play on Unity games :o
EDIT: The software is on compatible, the webplayer isn’t. Pooh.

Flag Post

Not really liking this. I don’t really see why we should download a whole program just to get badges. How much are you getting payed, sellout site?

Flag Post
Originally posted by DapperTiger:

Not really liking this. I don’t really see why we should download a whole program just to get badges. How much are you getting payed, sellout site?

You only need to download the web player.
Which you HAVE to do for Flash Webplayer anyway… Therefore that argument is invalid.

Flag Post

Nah. The flash webplayer has more reaches and is allaround more useful. I don’t see the point in making badges for games that require a whole new download.

Flag Post

Awesome. Glad to see this finally happening. There are lots of deserving games!

Flag Post

Because Flash is limited in 3D capabilities that Unity offers?
You can create a living Fallout, or Morrowind clone on Unity in a tenth of the time it would take for flash.

Flag Post

Well, those games suck so I’ll pass. I doubt it’s worth downloading a 3rd party download just for 10 badges. It’s as annoying as me downloading a “Fold” extension to play fold and gravity wars games to get those badges.

Flag Post

I think these are two of the few Unity badges I’ll ever get, as they don’t require fast reactions, so lag doesn’t affect the game in a noticeable way.

Originally posted by Hunkadunkus:

Because Flash is limited in 3D capabilities that Unity offers?

Not for long.

Also, the girl of that game looks like an animal.

E:

Hunka

You can create a living Fallout, or Morrowind clone on Unity in a tenth of the time it would take for flash.

That makes no sense at all. Fallout was made on C++, Unity is coded on that horrible thing they call “UnityScript”, Boo or C#. Flash games are coded in either AS or haXe.

Don’t compare Flash and Unity (at least not the way you’re doing it), as it’s like comparing a hammer with a knife.

Also, it seems to me that you’re referring to the 3d models when you mention that “it’d take a tenth of the time”. Well, the assets are the smallest part of a game and all but the amateurs use external tools to make them (not to mention that an artist makes them, not the coder). The code is a completely different thing (and the most important), and I don’t see how coding in X language could be 10 times faster than coding on Y.

For the record: Unity will be completely overpowered by Molehill(Stage3d) [that means Flash] on the 3d gaming aspect very soon.