Forums Kongregate

New Kongregate Version: New navigation and footer test and changes to developer payment history pages page 3

811 posts

Flag Post

It took me by surprise at first but I think it actually looks pretty cool. I like the reduced header space, no more (or not much) scrolling down to see all of a game :D The level progression bar is a nice feature. I think the footer is a little too big but I don’t usually look at it anyway, so it’s not a big deal. I’ll have to see how all this feels over the next week or whatever. But really, I used the old layout for four years, and I kinda like this change, so it can’t be too bad.

Flag Post
Originally posted by 6619510155102464:

I think the new layout is only for people livin in USA, cuz 3 Australians I talked to just now, said they have the old layout and nothing changed, while the people livin in USA, everything changed, so I wanna know, whos layout changed and whos didnt, and how could we get the old one back

I’m Australian and i have it. HURRRRRRRRRRRR.

Flag Post

I am actually really liking this change :D. I love it :D.

Flag Post
Originally posted by JimmyTheSqealer:
Originally posted by Shuckle_:

Emily, [Removed].
IF IT AIN’T BROKE DON’T FIX IT

What happened to the nice Shuckle_ we knew…

Shuckle used rage!

I like it.

Flag Post

But we don’t need the header to be shrunk, it looks better when it is bigger because things are visible at a reasonable size instead of it being compressed to shit. Really, if the shit is important for the users, don’t compress the fuck out of it, or you will just be screwing over the user. Aesthetics are all fine and well (Though this looks horrible) but functionality should win out. And hiding things from the user is not functional, it is foetal alcohol poisoning levels of retarded.

You know how some people are nostalgic for a pre-9/11 world? I am nostalgic for a pre-kong overhaul world.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

please tell me the coloring is just testing. Because an all red header looks like something an amateur portfolio site would do.

Pretty much agreed with this.
Bring back some of the old black/dark grey up there, and it’ll look considerably nicer.
Also, show a bit more of the information that used to be up there, rather than having to hover over crap to show it.

What happened to the nice Shuckle_ we knew…

The admins did something silly, thereby provoking it.

Originally posted by leafmiilone:

OH MY WOW!!!!! i love new kong :D

Who’s paying you to say this?

I think the new layout is only for people livin in USA,

I’m in NZ, and I’ve got the shitty update.

Whilst I’ve not experienced that yet, Mafefe, I can see how that’s going to get annoying.
Hopefully they get rid of it before it happens to more people.

Flag Post

and not offering the option to switch to the old layout.

This is a quote from a cjk post in OT. Please, please allow us to switch for those of us who think the new layout is straight worse than the old one.

Flag Post

I have to say I don’t like this. I liked much more to be able to see my current points, my profile picture, and how many friends are on, just by glancing up instead of stopping the game I’m playing and hover my mouse over. And I don’t even know if you can see how many friends are on anymore, let alone being able to tell who they are. Also making all the menus smaller just leaves more open space on the pages which I find unappealing.
About the only improvement I see is an easier way to see how many points you need to the next level, and the little bar that acts like a gauge to the next level.

Edit: I wholly agree with the thought of giving us the option to switch back to the old layout.

Flag Post
Originally posted by HappyYay:

and not offering the option to switch to the old layout.

This is a quote from a cjk post in OT. Please, please allow us to switch for those of us who think the new layout is straight worse than the old one.

tru dat

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

there are three different versions of the new navigation that we’re testing

Can you show us the other one’s now?
I want to see the difference and which I prefer.

Flag Post
Originally posted by emily_greer:

Hey guys,

So to be clear there are three different versions of the new navigation that we’re testing, partly to get data from people really using it to understand what’s the most important. In all of them we had several goals:
1) to reduce the overall space taken up by the header, so that more of the game can fit into the screen
2) to make it easier to navigate — in the old version if you wanted to jump to something on the far right of any sub nav it took a lot of careful mousework to get over there, and we had a hard limit on how much we could put in there — now we can organize it and be much more flexible with what we put in there. Now your recommendations are in with games, badge of the day is showing under achievements, and all the forums are up available immediately.
3) move less accessed resource to the footer and increase organization there.

Reducing the overall space requires some compromises, so a main part of what we are testing is different versions of height. One variant keeps a slimmed-down version of what was in the old nav (points, avatar, etc), one variant has all of that down in the profile (but has new message notifications that pop up, don’t worry), and one variant is somewhere in between.

I know it can take some time getting used to new things but there’s a lot here to like, give it a chance for a few days. We don’t expect that we got everything in there that really needs to be in there the first time but with the flexibility of the new system we can adjust. So over the next week or so we’re going to be taking both your feedback and the usage patterns we see to iterate and improve on what you’re seeing.

if i read this right – there are three new layouts and you meant to remove the old one, but some people still have it (like me, not that i’m complaining. i’m quite happy with it. i’d prefer it not be changed.)

as for the fancy mouse work problem in the old one – the simple solution would have been to add a 4 second delay on mouse out before the switch back to the active one; cancel on mouse in. reducing space could be done by folding up the lower menu after it’s not used for 15-30 seconds (default to folded, except on the front page).

Flag Post
Originally posted by Moshdef:

The old site was not broken, it worked perfectly fine! as stated above, in the version i’m now using there is no way to access the New Games section and there seem to be many small annoyances, such as the inability to see your friends, points, etc. without hovering over My Profile. Seems like a small / insignificant problem, but why create even a small problem if you don’t have to? If I need to weigh in on the version I have now: PLEASE GIVE ME THE OLD ONE BACK. the drop-down menus are great, but they are lacking. Overall just a bad update to the site.

Flag Post

I would like it if we could choose from the new layouts, and select the one we want.
Also,

I like how rawismojo is locking every thread.

NO ONE LIKES YOUR SHIT RAWISMOJO.
HOW ABOUT YOU GET SOME REAL TALENT OR PASS THE TORCH TO LIGHTSUN.
HE IS A BETTER GD THAN YOU WILL EVER BE.

I think he’s just doing his job, and doing it well.
I still like you, Rawismojo.

Flag Post

new kong? old kong? my kong hasnt changed…. even after moving to several pages, refreshing, im not seeing anything different….

Flag Post
Originally posted by Luisln:

The old site was not broken, it worked perfectly fine! as stated above, in the version i’m now using there is no way to access the New Games section and there seem to be many small annoyances, such as the inability to see your friends, points, etc. without hovering over My Profile. Seems like a small / insignificant problem, but why create even a small problem if you don’t have to? If I need to weigh in on the version I have now: PLEASE GIVE ME THE OLD ONE BACK. the drop-down menus are great, but they are lacking. Overall just a bad update to the site.

ITS FREE SO NO COMPLAINING!!!!!

So, if I went to your house and covered it in toilet paper, you can’t complain because FREE TOILET PAPER

Flag Post
Originally posted by Dapper_Lion:
Originally posted by Luisln:

ITS FREE SO NO COMPLAINING!!!!!

So, if I went to your house and covered it in toilet paper, you can’t complain because FREE TOILET PAPER

Best. Analogy. Ever.

Flag Post

Is it at random of who has the new layout and who has the old layout?

Flag Post

Actually we agree that we don’t have the content of the tabs exactly right, but the good thing is that we can make those changes based on the feedback. So we think we’re going to swap Zombie Games out with New Games, which really should have been there.

Flag Post

I think we should get some hacktivists to change the layout for us.
But back to this:

Flag Post
Originally posted by 6619510155102464:

Is it at random of who has the new layout and who has the old layout?

When I crossed the border into Canada for a trip, they pulled us into the “back room” in customs.

The reason was that they just pulled in every 100th car.

Moral of the story: randomness makes it worse.

Flag Post

Really guys, look at this

atleast put some space between those buttons I mean

Flag Post

I like the new layout. I was quite surprised to login and see it, but after using it for a few minutes I’m impressed.

For me it would look better with a pencil-thin black line running along the bottom of the header – I get that the idea it that it merges into the white background of the site, but it’s the one thing that looks odd to me. Maybe I’ll get used to it though.

I’d also like a notification icon on the “my profile” button itself for new messages (if there already is one, then nevermind :P).

Apart from that, awesome work on it :D I especially like the expanded profile view, its a lot better than the little tiny one from before.

Flag Post

I think we should get some hacktivists to change the layout for us.
But back to this:

I like the sign in button at the top right, completely pointless.