Forums Kongregate

New Kongregate Version: New navigation and footer test and changes to developer payment history pages page 7

811 posts

Flag Post

What questions are those exactly, Retwasi? I don’t see any important unanswered questions.

Messages: addressed (there’s a notification number) pages ago
New games: addressed (will replace zombies) pages ago
Why footer?: addressed (we put the less important content at the bottom) pages ago
Blank game screen: addressed (It’s an i-frame thing. This is how we will fix it.) a page ago
You are a nazi!: addressed (Actually, I’m a communist) a page ago

Having the second color also be red is just a terrible design choice.

Aesthetics isn’t so cut-and-dry in the real world. The things you learn in graphic design class will only take you so far. They are not the be-all end-all word of God. This new layout is AT LEAST debatable. Anyone who would say as a matter-of-fact that it’s “bad” design-wise is stuck in their own opinion.

Flag Post
Originally posted by emily_greer:

We’re going to add a link to Hot New to the games tab, probably tomorrow. It’s kind of late and there are some sucky bugs in IE7 (curse you old browsers) that need to be fixed first.

Thanks Emily.
Because of huge amount of dev on this site, I thought how you guys forget to add Newest game button.
But seriously the new environment is more liberal and attractive.
It is best for a Social + Gaming Website

Flag Post
Originally posted by racefan12:

Is there any way to stretch the word “Kongregate” so that it’s the same length as the “X online playing Y free games!” line? I realize it’s a minor thing, but some of us are nitpicky like that ;)

Thanks for the feedback. We actually have a fix here that we intend to push tomorrow. We’re picky too!

Flag Post

Oh. I missed one

The smallness of the header: Addressed (one of the primary purposes of this update was to COMPACT THE HEADER) pages ago

Flag Post

Aesthetics isn’t so cut-and-dry in the real world. The things you learn in graphic design class will only take you so far. They are not the be-all end-all word of God.

If you’ll notice, this is rather much the real world. And in this situation, it needs something more. I am hardly suggesting that that is a general design tip. Obviously analogous colours can be used to great effect.

Flag Post
Originally posted by truefire:

Oh. I missed one

The smallness of the header: Addressed (one of the primary purposes of this update was to COMPACT THE HEADER) pages ago

Yes, the main purpose of the update was to make the whole thing worse. They’re the best!

Flag Post

What’s the question that I’m dodging, Retwasi? Ask it and I’ll answer.

Why would you make a footnote on the bottom of every page that takes up as much space as it does, and could it be removed?

Flag Post

We actually have a fix here that we intend to push tomorrow.

What timezone exactly is your tomorrow?

Flag Post

Yes, the main purpose of the update was to make the whole thing worse. They’re the best!

Explain why a compact header is bad?

Stuff said by MoonlaughMaster

That’s entirely your opinion. There’s no basis whatsoever for saying that’s an objective design flaw.

Flag Post
Originally posted by saybox:

There’ll be ‘regular new games’ as well as ‘hot new games’, right? :P

maybe a stupid question lol :D

Not a stupid question — we were just discussing here and we think we’ll add both, but with the All New slightly less prominent because we don’t want new folks to go there first since the quality is…uneven.

Flag Post

for some reason the new format wont allow me to log out. i move my mouse over the MY PROFILE rectangle and nothing happens

Flag Post

I’m not sure if this has been addressed.. been going through many posts. Will the font size be increased? It is currently too small for comfort on your eyes.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Jeimuzu185:

Fair question. Central time here, so I should’ve wrote later today before.

Flag Post
Originally posted by saybox:

There’ll be ‘regular new games’ as well as ‘hot new games’, right? :P

maybe a stupid question lol :D

Not a stupid question — we were just discussing here and we think we’ll add both, but with the All New slightly less prominent because we don’t want new folks to go there first since the quality is…uneven.

the link to the last post sends me to the shit at the bottom of the page and i have to scroll up it’s annoying

Flag Post

That’s entirely your opinion. There’s no basis whatsoever for saying that’s an objective design flaw.

Sure. But that has nothing to do with whether it’s valid or not. And it is most likely valid, and you have presented no evidence to the contrary.

As to your previous rage post, my reply from OT:

sigh… Developing a successful website =/= being a god in design. Even professional designers make slip ups, which is ok. I’m just calling them out on it to make sure they know that they slipped up.

Flag Post

Because a header is what identifies a site, you want it to stand out. Especially when you are creating links from the header to everything else on the site. It is what ties every single page together and it has (Or rather had, given the recent fucking up) the function of showing important info about your account. It is the go to place for almost everything site related, and you are reducing its ability to do this.

Flag Post
Originally posted by jareha:
Originally posted by Jeimuzu185:

Fair question. Central time here, so I should’ve wrote later today before.

Thanks for answering that, will it be at the same time it was changed to again like today or later on in the day?

Flag Post

Okay, a few problems, already outlined.

1.) Can’t see my messages. I do NOT want to hover over “My Profile” continuously to check them.
EDIT: Nevermind.

2.) It’s too red. Needs a bit of black somewhere. Maybe a graphic in the background?

3.) Do we really want to advertise OT in the Community drop-down box? Not exactly the best part of the site.

4.) The footer is WAY too large. Although it’s really not important (People are acting like it gets in the way of something, when it clearly doesn’t), it’s still taking up more space than necessary.

With that in mind, this is only a test, and there are some great features. Particularly of note are the points to next level bar (This will save so many badge whores so much time), and the Badge of the Day feature, which is a great addition to an otherwise bland menu. However, as others have pointed out, there’s a lot of improvements that could be done, and I’m sure you guys will listen to the actual feedback :)

To the “CHANGE SUCKS” people:

Just because something is different does not mean it is bad. Provide well thought out constructive criticism, and the admins will look at it, and see if they can make it better. And, if it’s really so bad that you can’t possibly use this site any more, then stop posting about how crap it is and stop using the site any more. Oh, that’s right, you won’t, because you’re just being hyperbolic and whiny about anything that doesn’t suit you perfectly.

Flag Post

It’’s kinda annoying that I can’t see my level without having to hover over “Profile” now…but nice that i can see how many points i need easier now :P

Flag Post
Originally posted by Cammy_Justice:

Because a header is what identifies a site, you want it to stand out. Especially when you are creating links from the header to everything else on the site. It is what ties every single page together and it has (Or rather had, given the recent fucking up) the function of showing important info about your account. It is the go to place for almost everything site related, and you are reducing its ability to do this.

A very good design point, one that I brought up earlier in various threads. If the hub of a website is not easily navigated, then the website becomes insanely clunky.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Retwasi:

What’s the question that I’m dodging, Retwasi? Ask it and I’ll answer.

Why would you make a footnote on the bottom of every page that takes up as much space as it does, and could it be removed?

We made it bigger because we needed to move stuff out of the top navigation to make the header smaller, and things like help and contact us are more typically found down there. We made it bigger so that it would be easier to find the things that we had moved down there. To be honest I’m not quite sure why having it big is such a problem — a big header pushes the content down but you only see the header if you scroll all the way down to the bottom, which I didn’t think would be that common an occurrence.

Again, if it’s still annoying after you’ve had a day to get used to the changes let us know. But I’d ask that everybody give everything a day.

Flag Post
Originally posted by alex2life:

It’’s kinda annoying that I can’t see my level without having to hover over “Profile” now…but nice that i can see how many points i need easier now :P

I wouldn’t have thought that you’d level up enough for that to be an issue.

Flag Post

Will the font size be increased? It is currently too small for comfort on your eyes.

Ctrl and mousewheel or Ctrl + and Ctrl – will zoom the page, adjusting the font to your needs.

You might use Cmd instead of Ctrl if you’re on a mac.

And it is most likely valid, and you have presented no evidence to the contrary.

I’m not arguing that it’s invalid. I’m arguing that it’s a matter of opinion. There is no “valid/invalid”. I do believe that it’s designed better than an alternative you, or most of the complainers for that matter, would have created given the chance.

Flag Post
Originally posted by cllazyman:

for some reason the new format wont allow me to log out. i move my mouse over the MY PROFILE rectangle and nothing happens

Flag Post
Originally posted by cllazyman:

Hmm, can you screenshot what you see and post? Browser/OS system would also be helpful. Not being able to sign out is bad. :(