Forums Kongregate

New Kongregate Version: New navigation winner selected! page 4

111 posts

Flag Post

The lesser of the three evils, I suppose

Flag Post

I really do like how I can more easily see the BotD and any current challenges under the achievements tab.

Flag Post

I like it, but could we get an option to change the color of the navigation panel? That’d be sweet.

Flag Post

Should have used this one

so much better

Flag Post

I think there’s too much white space at the top.

Flag Post

I’m getting OK with the new layout (although I still hate it, and want the old one back…) but there’s one thing that bothers me. The title word ‘Kongregate’ and the text ‘XX,XXX online playing XX,XXX free games!’ have shrunk for me. There’s enough space to keep the old proportions for the title, so why not do that?

Flag Post

You kids need to stop your bitching. The new layout is a billion times better than the last one.

Flag Post

As much as I love it listing the amount of friends you have online, it would be nice to still have the list of your friends under the community tab ;)

EDIT: Dr. Zoidberg noise I found that same list under my “BlackBone” tab :) It’s in such a better place now, I love it<3

Flag Post

It just feels like something is missing. ;~;

It’s really not bad but It’ll take a little time to get used to.

Edit Wow that’s a huge footer…

Flag Post
Originally posted by joe1017:
Originally posted by Gama11:
Originally posted by joe1017:

Developers:

• We fixed an error where people were seeing “Address must be in plain or Western European accented ASCII text” whenever they entered an address

Not really.. At least not for me. The bug just appeared after the update, wasn’t there before – it bitches about all German special characters (ü, ö, ä, ß)

Also, it’d be nice if the “xxx points to level up” wouldn’t just tell you “0 points to level up” once you’ve reached lvl 65 all the time – it should be replaced with the number of points.

Other than that, everything else is kinda nice. I like the fact that it displays how many friends are on, the avatar got bigger and there’s a message notifier again. :)

Edit: The Kongregate News link is broken for me. Same for the recommended games link on the frontpage.

Does the news link in the community tab not go to http://www.kongregate.com/announcements/kongregate-news?

As for the recommended games link being broken, we’re looking into that issue now. It seems to be user specific and hopefully we’ll get a fix out soon.

Hm, the link certainly went to kongregate-news, but the page itself seemed to be broken – working now though, no idea why.

Flag Post

It just feels like something is missing. ;~;

Like a sign out button?
Or the amount of points you have?
Or a decently sized avatar?
Or message notifications that are actually effective at notifying? :P

Flag Post

need to get used to the new navi system but I don’t come here often anymore anyways so it doesn’t bother me too much!

Flag Post
Like a sign out button?

You can access it by hovering over your username, which takes… 0,5 seconds more than back when we used to have the old layout? :P
Seriously, it’s not a problem, and never was, to be honest.

Flag Post

PLEASe PLEASE PLEASE>….
Bring some of the grey back!

Flag Post

Whoa! What a nice surprise this AM when I went on site for badge of the day!! I luv this site even when it had “quirks”! U go Guyz-Kudos to all!! >^_^<

Flag Post

It’s better than the one I had before this, but I think there’s too much red.

Flag Post

When I click the messages it links to my shouts regardless if its a Private Message or not. Odd, since before it linked to whichever the message was.

Also, the message icon could be shoved over in mobile, its partly offscreen on my Droid X.

Flag Post

Well, this sucks.

Flag Post

I can’t say I’m a huge fan of this change. The header is just too…red, for one. There’s no variation and it looks too plain. Maybe add some shading, or the mountains from the site icon to break it up a bit.

As nice as it is to see the “Points to Next Level” bar (I really like that!), I’d rather have a default of what my points already are. As has been said already here, it’s a better indicator of what you’ve actually done here.

And I have NEVER liked hover menus. They’re obtrusive and interrupt browsing sessions on other sites, and here they have the potential to royally screw up a game. It’s already fun enough kicking my cat off the mouse, now she can put me on a menu and really screw up my games. Probably thrill her, but not me. These menus have their perks here, and I like how easy it is to see the Badge of the Day and any Challenges, but they’re just too big right now.

I’ll also add my votes to the “Avatar’s too small” and “Sign out not in dropdown, please” crowds.

Flag Post

Signing out of Kongregate signs me out of Facebook, too. Maybe check to see if a user is using Facebook’s auth service before nuking the cookie?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Precarious:

I held off commenting on the changes until now, since until now I still had the old version, and I didn’t want to say anything until I had actually experienced the changes.

I don’t like the changes. I realize that many of the points below have been brought up (frequently) before, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen them fully clarified, so I’ll share my opinions.

• The color scheme is awful. Simply changing the dark red portions to the previous dark grey would go a long way toward improving the aesthetics of the update, but that’s been said ad nauseam anyway.

• The diminished profile tab was and is a terrible idea—the new version is, setting aside concerns of information conveyed, simply much less pleasant to look at. Further, I miss the “Welcome,” I’d prefer to have both total points and points to level available (and if I had to choose one, I’d prefer the original total points, as it’s a better indicator of what I’ve actually done on Kongregate), and there’s no immediate sign out access (I know it’s in the hover menu).

• The profile hover, moreover, seems pointless (except for the points bar, which is a nice addition—and should be incorporated into the full profile). All other hover information is available in or from the full profile. You actually have to click to get to that further information, so all the hover really does is block the upper right portion of the page.

• In fact, all of the hover menus are generally obtrusive. If you accidentally hover over one, they block half the screen. The previous extension below the header was preferable in this regard. I realize you want to facilitate ease of access to content, but I’m not convinced this does that.

• I’ll admit I do like the improved clarification on challenges.

• The header spatial distribution is awkward at best. The blank space between the reduced profile tab and Games/Achievements/Community looks bad. This could, perhaps, be improved somewhat if the new profile tab were extended to equal length with Games/Achievements/Community/Search. Likewise, “X Online Playing X Free Games!” should be as long as “Kongregate”—you know, the way it was in the previous version.

• The rounded edges of the (smaller) profile picture clash with the sharp edges on the other side of the new profile tab and with the Games, etc. tabs. Enveloping the image within the profile tab might help.

• The new header doesn’t sync aesthetically with other parts of the site. Even as I type this post, it’s surrounded by the old dark grey. The same holds true for the most recent badges in the full profile, and so on.

• I do approve of the elimination of the excess sections: Games/Achievements/Community covers the primary purposes of the site.

In the hope that more changes are incoming, sooner or later, I would recommend replacing the dark red in the header with the previous dark grey, moving the Games/Achievements/Community under Kongregate, and returning the previous profile tab, with the addition of the new points bar.

Pretty much all my thoughts about it exactly. Could you have an option for the older site display themes if you wish to keep making changes like this? GameFAQs does this for all their display themes and I think it’s great that they do. Also, for anyone level 65, I don’t think seeing “0 points to level up” instead of total points is the best option.

Flag Post
Originally posted by MrSpontaneous:

Signing out of Kongregate signs me out of Facebook, too. Maybe check to see if a user is using Facebook’s auth service before nuking the cookie?

Happens to me, too
Is it supposed to?

Flag Post

want to adopt a multilingual approach Kongregate?

Flag Post

I don’t like the way every option pops up when you accidentally hover over the bar, Gets to be annoying.

Would be nice if the “My messages” were more eye catching, many times i get messages i don’t see when I’m on.

Flag Post
Originally posted by HappyAlcoholic:
Originally posted by MrSpontaneous:

Happens to me, too
Is it supposed to?

I unlinked my accounts and I no longer get logged out of Facebook when I log out of Kong. I re-linked them and it happens once more. This would only make sense if I used the Facebook sign-in option. I don’t. This is a bug.