Forums Kongregate

premium games - example

19 posts

Flag Post

I was wondering what games (of those on Kongregate right now) would have qualified as a premium game?

Can someone who knows (aka Kong staff) please answer.

Flag Post

None really. The closest might be Swords and Sandals, or any other game demo that happens to be really good. The premium web games will focus more on premium, unlockable content than on “buying the full game.” Think Gunbound or Maple Story.

Flag Post

By unlockable, do you mean that you have to pay to unlock stuff for a game? Or do you spend your points on it?

Flag Post

Money. Everything you know and love about the site as it is will remain free, though.

Flag Post

yrudoy, it’s a little hard to say. I don’t think there are a lot that would fall into the kinds of games I’m thinking of. I haven’t run into one yet that was like “yep, that’s the kind of game I want, alright.” But as Greg said, there will be microtransactions, though I would disagree that it would be similar to a demo. The microtransactions will never stop you from playing the games beginning to end for free. They’ll just be extras you can invest in if you so choose.

And really, they won’t be defined by microtransactions. More, they’ll be defined by unique concepts, interesting gameplay and multiplayer.

Flag Post

I should’ve clarified that “closest” doesn’t mean “close.”

Flag Post

I was thinking Newgrounds rumble would be close. Or are we talking, bigger and better?

Flag Post

I think bigger and way better. I don’t really like NG rumble that much…

Flag Post

Me neither. But it’s the right type, no?

Flag Post

Well, since we’re on the topic of NG, how about Alien Hominid? Would that have been on your list, Chris?

Flag Post

Alien Hominid is a great game and I’d say it’s worth the retail price on the consoles, but it’s not really the kind of game we’re looking at for premium content. NG Rumble is closer, but still not quite as big as what we’re talking. I’ll let Chris explain!

Flag Post

No. The style is definitely on the right track, but it’s neither multiplayer (right?) nor community-based.

Flag Post

z0mg, premium games may be super ultra-uber mmorpg’s?

Okay, done with crazy talk now… But what do you mean by community based games?

Flag Post

I’m just trying to get an idea of what you are aiming for. After all, not every game fits into your premium game range; as a matter of fact, I don’t think I can imagine how a game can, even in theory, rack up that much expences.

Does the multiplayer Desctop Tower Defence seem like the kind of game you are talking about? It’s multiplayer…

Flag Post

It could be full mmo style (though hybrids are more likely—multiuser hubs and separate action). Or it could be a really cool game with a good level editor that allows people to share their creations. Or it could just be a one-on-one multiplayer brawler. There are no set-in-stone rules for this. Just has to be cool and let people interact with each other.

Flag Post

Alien Hominid is multiplayer in the consoles and it’s indeed awesome!

Flag Post

Is the question people are really trying to get their heads around:
Given that the game must be multiplayer, does the game need to be content-rich (like a RPG), or can it just be devastatingly fun?

Flag Post

It could be either.

Flag Post

How about a ragdoll Pong game?