Forums Kongregate

New Homepage Discussion

73 posts

Flag Post

Yes, sometimes change can be bad (taxes, remake of movies, etc.) and sometimes change can be good (new cars, internet, etc.). It’s time for change on Kongregate once again, and we think this one’s pretty awesome. We give you a brand new homepage! Love it or hate it, let us know in this forum here!

Here are some things you’ll see on our new homepage:

Guests

1) New sign up module

2) Staff picks

Users new and old

1) New feature roll

2) Kongregate tips to get you started

3) Level up module with badge recommendations

4) First Quest module

5) New Recommended Games module

If you’re not interested in a recommendation just hover and click the X if you’re not interested in the game

6) New Recommended Badges module

7) Top Monthly Games

This shows you the highest rated games that were uploaded within the last 30 days

8) Top Weekly Games

This has the highest rated games that were uploaded within the last 7 days

9) Recently played module

Forgot what you game you played a few days ago and really liked? Now you can find it on the homepage! We keep up to 24 of your last played games in this module.

Flag Post

Interesting…

Seems a bit nicer from the screenies.

Flag Post

:( No way to opt in on this?

I didn’t get it and none of the people I talked to did btw. Kinda odd…

Flag Post

finally
EDIT: god damn i got old version >.>

Flag Post
Originally posted by Zachary_Greene:

Interesting…

You probably got the old version. Its split in 2 just like the navbar test.

Flag Post

I like it alot! :D

Flag Post
Originally posted by EndlessSporadic:
Originally posted by Zachary_Greene:

Interesting…

You probably got the old version. Its split in 2 just like the navbar test.

Wat.
Also, I did…Nothing new here. But I know how to hijack into the other system, well I usually can on most updates.

Flag Post

I wish I could test it to see what I think…

Flag Post

I don’t suppose there’s any chance someone could screenshot the whole homepage, is there?
So we can see what it actually looks like now, instead of each little section shown separately.

Flag Post

It’s not actually live yet, this is just a teaser. Give us a few minutes :P

Flag Post
Originally posted by AlisonClaire:

It’s not actually live yet, this is just a teaser. Give us a few minutes :P

Well that sucks…I was thinking “I AM THE FIRST PUBLIC VIEWER! ;3” then well, I noticed this.

3:

Flag Post

Oh Kong, you such a tease ;D

Flag Post

Oh, haha.
Pretty much all of those sections I feel should be a really good for Kongregate’s homepage.
I’d just like to see what it looks like all together.

Flag Post
Originally posted by BadgesFreak:

Oh Kong, you such a tease ;D

It’s how we show ya we like ya ;)

Flag Post

This time, you guys actually improved the layout. And then I get the old layout. No me gusta.

Flag Post

In truth we show we like ya by doing some last minute testing after the deploy to make sure things look good before we hit the big button. Of course there may still be bugs and your first reaction may be “ew!” anyway but not because we didn’t try.

Flag Post

*Waiting for new layout patiently*

Flag Post
Originally posted by emily_greer:

In truth we show we like ya by doing some last minute testing after the deploy to make sure things look good before we hit the big button. Of course there may still be bugs and your first reaction may be “ew!” anyway but not because we didn’t try.

So then, just curious, what is the point of taking the site down for 5 or so minutes? I assume its just files moving to the servers or database processing occurring?

Flag Post

Staff has some kind of a update frenzy going on. They’ve updated Kong like 6 times in 1-2 months. :o

I got the old layout, too. The screenshots seem like they can be cool updates.

Flag Post

Well, I have it.
I like it. :D

Flag Post
Originally posted by UnknownGuardian:

So then, just curious, what is the point of taking the site down for 5 or so minutes? I assume its just files moving to the real servers or database processing occurring?

Updating the code. We just took awhile to test before actually making it visible to y’all :)

Flag Post

Just wanted to add on: Unlike the old recommendation system, you can now make a “not interested” choice without having to rate the game to remove it from the list. :D (Note: Only ratings go towards your future recommendations though.)

Flag Post

Looks great, only problem is some of it is hard to see, well with my add-on. Without it and it would be perfect I would assume.

*That exclusive group*

Flag Post
Originally posted by UnknownGuardian:

So then, just curious, what is the point of taking the site down for 5 or so minutes? I assume its just files moving to the servers or database processing occurring?

We have to take down the site whenever we make changes to the database. Updating while altering the structure of tables causes all sorts of data problems. This is a manual check after that update before we make things visible.

Flag Post

Though I miss the number of plays below the hot new games, and the badge of the day looks a little alone