Forums Kongregate

New Kongregate Version: New Homepage Split Test page 4

143 posts

Flag Post

Tomiku – my slightly snarky response was at Megadude’s “I shouldn’t be forced to” comment and his demands for an opt out. You weren’t raging at all and asked a very legitimate question. The answer unfortunately is “no”, since that would throw off our data, but it’s a reasonable thing to ask. :)

Flag Post
Originally posted by JKuang:

I got the new layout!

When the browser is horizontally shrunk, the right edge of the page shows an ugly gray side that overlaps into the right portion of the content. :(

http://i.imgur.com/4QhIJ.jpg

EDIT: Shouldn’t Latest News be higher on the page?

I tried getting some attention to the “Latest News” page getting moved up during the mod preview, but no one listened to me, despite me asking multiple times. So I’m guessing that’s a no.

EDIT: The two other posts in this thread concerning the “Latest News” section were also both ignored. I’d guess we won’t be seeing it happen any time soon.

EDIT: Here was my list of suggestions for making the news more interesting, as posted in the mod forums:

“And keeping it more updated, perhaps with game releases you guys are excited about (Raze 2, maybe, being the second highest rated game on AG,) contests like the name that ugly thing on the kongregate section of the forums, developer interviews perhaps?, games that on active beta, allow MMO devs to buy a news article space thing like on the featured games reel, showing off some of the collabs, announcing new admins/changes in the admins who work directly with users, keeping the top games of the week/month updated like they used to down there, etc.”

Flag Post

To not ignore posts about latest news:

No, it’s probably not getting moved up :P It’s not super valuable to most people that hit the homepage, so it got pushed down. Sorry :(

edit:

“And keeping it more updated, perhaps with game releases you guys are excited about (Raze 2, maybe, being the second highest rated game on AG,) contests like the name that ugly thing on the kongregate section of the forums, developer interviews perhaps?, games that on active beta, allow MMO devs to buy a news article space thing like on the featured games reel, showing off some of the collabs, announcing new admins/changes in the admins who work directly with users, keeping the top games of the week/month updated like they used to down there, etc.”

That would take a lot of work in upkeep and, while I definitely agree we could do more with it, we should take the step of making “Latest News” more valuable before we take the step of making it more in your face. If/when it’s something that has a ton of value for everyone—we can reconsider where we display it

Flag Post

‘Badges recommended for you’

<3
Now, I actually have a reason to go to the homepage. :)

Flag Post

How about top games of last week/month/arbitrary time period? If I’ve been concentrating on something else for a while I’d like to browse through what I’ve missed.

Flag Post

The recommended badges are based on game rating? Ah.

Don’t really want to beat a dead horse, but please, please, can you make the points earnt for rating games something that can be opted out of? First it just affect ratings, so my input towards other users experience. Then it affected the recommended games section, and now it’s affecting the recommended badges. With each similar update this becomes a bigger area, impacting more on personal experience of the site.

Flag Post

Just saw the new changes, and the only complaint I have (so far) is the badge of the day disappeared from the crawl! Frightened me for a minute there. Other than that, I think the changes are fantastic.

Flag Post

My only complaint is the “Badges Recommended for You”. I feel that it doesn’t look good how you put that in, its a great idea, just move it or make it flow more with the page.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Bilious:

The recommended badges are based on game rating? Ah.

Don’t really want to beat a dead horse, but please, please, can you make the points earnt for rating games something that can be opted out of? First it just affect ratings, so my input towards other users experience. Then it affected the recommended games section, and now it’s affecting the recommended badges. With each similar update this becomes a bigger area, impacting more on personal experience of the site.

I’m confused :/ Why would you want to opt out of rating for points? Your recommended games/badges are purely based on your ratings, not those of anyone else.

Flag Post

Something changed in the last 1/2 hour. Now when I play chat.kongregate.com is asking for flash permission to store things locally. Why would a chat function need storage? I denying it it, but it keeps popping up, disrupting my game play. Can this please be fixed ASAP as play is basically screwed.

Flag Post

Too much information. Give me a day to digest this.

Flag Post
Originally posted by klrorca:

Something changed in the last 1/2 hour. Now when I play chat.kongregate.com is asking for flash permission to store things locally. Why would a chat function need storage? I denying it it, but it keeps popping up, disrupting my game play. Can this please be fixed ASAP as play is basically screwed.

That’s not to do with the Kong changes. That’s the link to where games run from, and you need to allow it tostore information so that your games can be saved.

Flag Post

I actually wish I had this version, looks really cool.
Hopefully it makes the final cut and we all get to enjoy it!

Flag Post

Where’s the badge of the day?

Flag Post

I unfortunately do not have the new version :(.
But I am curious, is it possible to see only certain recommended badges (easy,medium,hard,impossible?)

Flag Post
Originally posted by Phoenix00017:
Originally posted by furrymessiah:

It has its pros and cons, I think.

I like being able to see the icons for the monthly/weekly games, but it de-emphasizes the fact that those games are in a contest.

The Recommended Badges thing is a cute idea, but I’m not fond of the way it doesn’t tell you the parameters of obtaining the badge.

Other than that, I like the new layout.

Regarding the monthly/weekly games, those actually aren’t the contest leaders. Those are the top-rated games for the previous 7 days and previous 30 days. While they will often be similar, the actual contest results are visible on www.kongregate.com/contests. Since we’re using a rolling 7 day and rolling 30 day high score, these “high rated” games should change around a lot and provide some interesting and potentially hard to find gems to try out.

I should also mention that games that are featured elsewhere (like with new badges or in the popular games list) won’t show up in these lists.

But originally, the contest games were shown on the front page. This is the feature I’m missing, and frankly, I think should be brought back.

Flag Post

The annoying footer is still there

remove it, you lazy admins

Flag Post

So NO it is not the game (unless games just today are now allowed to use the kong domain), the FQDN is chat.kongregate.com, and no game has ever used that FQDN as a save file on a game with flash that I have seen up untill this point.

I know what I speak about. I do this for a living, I am one of those high tech security engineers, been on Kong for years (and never have seen this issue), and was developing games back as far as 1984.

I could probably do a packet trace, and and use firebug to really track it down. But they are not paying me to do so.

Originally posted by saybox:

That’s not to do with the Kong changes. That’s the link to where games run from, and you need to allow it tostore information so that your games can be saved.

Flag Post

So NO it is not the game (unless games just today are now allowed to use the kong domain), the FQDN is chat.kongregate.com, and no game has ever used that FQDN as a save file on a game with flash that I have seen up untill this point.

Yes, it is the game. Kongregate has been serving the games from chat.kongregate.com nearly as long as it’s been around. If you don’t believe me, look at your Flash SharedObjects folder and note all the .sol files in the chat.kongregate.com directory.

Why it would be popping up now I don’t know. Maybe you’ve reached the default storage limit and it needs more room to store more saves.

Flag Post

It’d be nice if the Badge of the Day was closer to the recommended badges, instead of hidden by the ads and the news.

Flag Post

I don’t have the new version! D:

Flag Post

I know what I speak about. I do this for a living, I am one of those high tech security engineers, been on Kong for years (and never have seen this issue), and was developing games back as far as 1984.

I could probably do a packet trace, and and use firebug to really track it down. But they are not paying me to do so.

Every game on kongregate is served from chat.kongregate.com. Every game that saves data locally saves it to a file linked to that subdomain. It works like saving an internet cookie, except that by default, Flash doesn’t allow much space for it. So, more likely is that you’ve filled up the available space for game saves, and now you need to allow some more so that games can keep saving data.

If you play here a lot just put the slider to “unlimited”…. it won’t actually take up huge amounts of space, but for games that autosave all the time it will reduce lag.

Flag Post

Is there a way to opt in on the new version? I feel left out. D:

Flag Post

I still have the old one.

:(

Flag Post

Can I switch back to the old one? Just cause youtube updated doesn’t mean you guys had to as well.