Forums Kongregate

New Kongregate Version: New Homepage Split Test page 5

143 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by H2O589:

Can I switch back to the old one? Just cause youtube updated doesn’t mean you guys had to as well.

Who said Youtube had anything to do with it?

Flag Post

Is there any way to make the recommended badges section show more than just two badges? It’s not really helpful when it shows so few, and it’s just creating a big amount of white space.

Also, it looks really weird that the hot new/recommended section only has two columns, while every other section has three. Perhaps you could add something in the third spot to fill up the white space. Personally I’d move the recommended badges section down there, and widen the featured games list instead.

Flag Post

Recommended Badges should show 6 badges for you on the homepage, 2 columns with 3 badges each. Are you seeing something different?

Flag Post
Originally posted by rawismojo:

Recommended Badges should show 6 badges for you on the homepage, 2 columns with 3 badges each. Are you seeing something different?

Yes, only shows two. Like this:
http://i.imgur.com/5M99g.jpg

Edit: And now Badge of the day showed up next to the recommended games list. I guess this is a new update?

Flag Post

I want this new layout so badly, looks great.
I think the design & programming teams are doing a great job, and I appreciate what they’re doing.

Originally posted by H2O589:

Can I switch back to the old one? Just cause youtube updated doesn’t mean you guys had to as well.

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc.

Flag Post

i like this new version better than the last one that was previously updated, good job.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Thebum06:

Edit: And now Badge of the day showed up next to the recommended games list. I guess this is a new update?

You’re using an ad blocking plug-in, aren’t you? I think it’s eating Badge of The Day. So can both fix the issue and better support Kongregate by turning it off.

Flag Post
Originally posted by emily_greer:

You’re using an ad blocking plug-in, aren’t you? I think it’s eating Badge of The Day. So can both fix the issue and better support Kongregate by turning it off.

You did this deliberately, didn’t you? xD

Flag Post

Do you think you could squeeze in star ratings for the “Top Games this Month/Week” sections? Other than that, looks great.

Flag Post

I did not get the new version. /sadface

Flag Post

It looks awesome but I still don’t have it yet :/

Flag Post

It’s not working, even with adblock (and all other addons) disabled.
http://i.imgur.com/yH2Mw.jpg

Flag Post

The new version looks great but i want the black box where all the new badges and challenges (I COULD continue) are back bigger.

Flag Post

I’m generally a support of the change, with a few minor suggestions. I’d like to preface it by saying how much I actually like the new homepage, and how necessary I think it is to update the look every so often to not only keep from being stale, but also to make things more intuitive for users. I especially like how everything has a nice little buffer of white space between it, like each portion is its own discrete unit. That’s a very modern and stylish look. But without further ado:

1.) Perhaps recommended badges should only get three listings, whereas recommended games can get six? I just think more people will be interested in playing a game, than earning one particular badge.

2.) Make the featured games window a little larger. It’s fine now, of course, but maybe having it large enough to either have a longer description or at least a larger font would be nice.

3.) Please bring back the Gamestop daily badge into the featured games, or at least put it elsewhere. I usually only have time to play for about 30 minutes a day, and it was usually the Gamestop badge game— I can get to it now by looking into the info about the badge of the day and everything, but that’s just inconvenient compared to how it used to be.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Phoenix00017:

Regarding the monthly/weekly games, those actually aren’t the contest leaders. Those are the top-rated games for the previous 7 days and previous 30 days. While they will often be similar, the actual contest results are visible on www.kongregate.com/contests. Since we’re using a rolling 7 day and rolling 30 day high score, these “high rated” games should change around a lot and provide some interesting and potentially hard to find gems to try out.

I like the idea of this, apart from the potential issue that games lower on the leaderboards now have less chance to be seen compared to when the leaderboard was frontpage. Couldn’t the “recently played” section be reduced to one column, and a “best of the rest” column be added that would show random games from the past month that have a rating over 3.something?

Flag Post

Rate more games. I only have a couple showing, (none today), and I’m pretty sure it’s because I’ve only ever rated 20 games.

Flag Post

The new home page looks way too cluttered how about a way to customize your own homepage like the way yahoo does it/did it. So if you wanted the Hot New Games column but not the Top Games of the Week you could check a box and cut down on the mess.

Flag Post

i like everything except being able to see the top games of the week/month in order on the homescreen

Flag Post

What’s not working? I see the Badge of the Day below the ad now.

Flag Post
Originally posted by f3nf3nf3n:

I’m generally a support of the change, with a few minor suggestions. I’d like to preface it by saying how much I actually like the new homepage, and how necessary I think it is to update the look every so often to not only keep from being stale, but also to make things more intuitive for users. I especially like how everything has a nice little buffer of white space between it, like each portion is its own discrete unit. That’s a very modern and stylish look. But without further ado:

1.) Perhaps recommended badges should only get three listings, whereas recommended games can get six? I just think more people will be interested in playing a game, than earning one particular badge.

2.) Make the featured games window a little larger. It’s fine now, of course, but maybe having it large enough to either have a longer description or at least a larger font would be nice.

3.) Please bring back the Gamestop daily badge into the featured games, or at least put it elsewhere. I usually only have time to play for about 30 minutes a day, and it was usually the Gamestop badge game— I can get to it now by looking into the info about the badge of the day and everything, but that’s just inconvenient compared to how it used to be.

Thanks for the feedback! On 3. it’s still there, it’s right below the square ad (unless you have adblock or something similar on, which eats it along with the ad).

Flag Post

Actually there’s a real bug here – we’ll fix.

Originally posted by Bilious:

Rate more games. I only have a couple showing, (none today), and I’m pretty sure it’s because I’ve only ever rated 20 games.

Flag Post

What’s not working? I see the Badge of the Day below the ad now.

Oh right, but I was talking about the amount of recommended badges that are shown, which only shows one for me when it’s supposed to show six.

Flag Post

This is amazingly awesome. <3

Flag Post

I truly do love this update, however, there is one problem. In the Opera web browser the paged sections on the main page cannot go past the first page. I can hit the arrow button all day but I’ll only see one page of games/badges. I know it works in IE but those of us using Opera, (due to its sheer awesomeness), would appreciate a developer to look into it.
As well, the mobile site displays poorly on Opera mini (mobile internet browser).

Hope you get a chance to take a look soon,
overall its a great, great change.

~3rgytr54

Flag Post

I think the featured games box should be about 20-30% bigger (this comment keeps being repeated in this thread for a reason), badges recommended for you module needs to die a horrible death and never come back, recently played games is a great idea that I can’t believe I ever lived without, daily and weekly contests should go back to the upper right corner where the annoying and totally useless recommended badges module currently is.

I’m really really not into the recommended badges for you idea and even for the people who like it, it has no place being the 2nd most important thing on the entire page. I don’t have any idea why you guys thought recommending badges was so important. This is a gaming site not a badge site. Recommend some games to me please, badges I can figure out on my own. The current ratio is that I have 3 recommended games to 6 recommended badges or 2:1 badges to games. That’s at least backwards. I’d prefer 0:1 badge to game recommendation ratio but if you decide to keep the recommended badges module at least put it lower on the page and put something that everyone uses in its place.

I would actually pay to go back to the old version and be able to keep the recently played games module. As it stands now I’m just going to come here and either log out or create a new account so I can avoid this new layout. I’ve been on Kong since the beginning and this is by far the most annoying update I’ve witnessed. The last one was nearly perfect. All you had to do was add the recently played games module to it and it would be perfect. Everything else was just a lot of effort and time spent on screwing up what you already had imo.