Forums Kongregate

Official Kong Plus Thread

1017 posts

Flag Post

You guys are pretty observant, so you probably already know this. But! We’ve just launched Kong Plus, and we’d like to tell you about it. It costs $29.99 per year, and it boasts what we think are a bunch of cool features. I will now proceed to give you the rundown (i.e. the text wall below). If you have any comments or questions about Kong Plus, please put them in this thread!

Kong Plus is ad-free
 That’s really the biggest thing. You’ll never see ads on a game page everevereveragain when you sign up for  Kong Plus, including ads before a game, and static ads around the game.
 Edit: Developers still get paid when you play their games! They get as much as they normally would, it  simply comes from your Kong Plus subscription instead of ad revenue.

Kong Plus gives you a chat icon
 Yep! You can let everybody know that you love us with a little “K+” icon by your name. It’ll show up in chat,  on your profile, and in game comments. It looks like this:

You can also turn it off by going here: http://www.kongregate.com/accounts/my_account. It will appear  thusly:

Kong Plus features members’ only chat rooms…
 This is exactly what it sounds like: Kongregate chat rooms that you’ll share with other Kong Plus  members. You can enter one of those chat rooms just as you’d switch into any room – they’ll show up in the room list  like so:

…and private chat rooms!
 Woo private chats! You have to be a Kong Plus member to start one up, but you can invite anybody at all  from Kongregate chat. This is perfect for getting a little privacy all up in your guild. You can invite a friend to  private chat by hovering your mouse over their name, and selecting “Invite Private” from the menu that  appears.

Once you’re in, it’ll look like this (notice the cool tabs that we’ll be using for game chats too):

We’ll even let you know when the chat room you’re not in has unread messages!

Kong Plus will give you cool profile skins
 This one’s my favorite. You can prettify your profile with a number of skins made special for Kong Plus  members by our designers. Plus, we made a brony skin. You can select your skin with this handy link at the  top of your profile page:

Kong Plus gives you beta access
 No more will you have to wait for beta access! When you sign up for Kong Plus, you’ll get access to all  games in beta. You can find out which games are in beta by checking the game browser, or just by viewing  your home page.

Score double the PowerUp Rewards Points for earning the Badge of the Day
 This will of course only appeal to our US users, but everyone who earns the Badge of the Day will receive  double the PowerUp Rewards points in addition to double the Kongregate points.
 Edit: Everyone receives double the Kongregate points already, but Kong Plus users will receive  double PowerUp Rewards points as well. They don’t get any more Kongregate points than anybody else.

Kong Plus gives you a one-time gift of 50 Kreds
 Because we like you!

Kong Plus gives you priority customer service
 Reports and emails sent from the accounts of Kong Plus users will be marked for all of our community and  customer service staff to see. We definitely pride ourselves in quick and helpful replies to all, and that’s not  going to change! So consider the service you’ll get to be faster than fast.

You can give Kong Plus to your friends
 Do you really, really like someone? Give them a Kong Plus membership! You’ll see the option here when you  go to http://www.kongregate.com/plus.

The recipient of the membership will receive a code that they’ll be able to enter here:  http://www.kongregate.com/premium_membership_redemptions. That page looks like this:

Be a charter member
 If you subscribe before January 31, 2012, you’ll have a nifty little medal on your profile indicating you’re one  of Kong Plus’ charter members. Like so:

But I’m just a regular Kong user. What does this mean for me?
Well, it means that if you’d like some cool new features, you have the opportunity to get them for a whole year for about the price of this. And that thing only works in the winter, and chances are if you’re a regular Kong user, you don’t spend hours and hours out in the snow.

If it’s not your thing, or you don’t really feel like paying for features like those, there’s good news! The Kong you know and love isn’t going to be one bit different. Everything you can have and use now, you can still have and use! We’re definitely still committed to offering a great place to hang out to people who want stuff for free because, well, a lot of us came to this site because we were in college and cheapskates. And I can assure you the day will never come when Kong stops reminding me just a little of microwaved ramen. Mmmmm. Raaaamen.

Flag Post

EDIT:

0/5.

Brony skins ruined it even more so.

Flag Post

Isn’t it a bit early for an April Fool’s joke? >_>

Flag Post

Cool. I guess. :P

If I sometimes become even more no-life, I may actually buy this. o.o

Flag Post

Mind blown. However, chat does not load – FF9, Win 7 64-bit

Edit: Oh, Ducklette answered the question I deleted.

Flag Post

Wait, really?

Flag Post

By the way. Since it’s Christmas coming, shouldn’t the prices be lowered? Right? For Christmas? :D

Flag Post

So, is this active now? I notice that moderators don’t seem to get access to the K+ rooms yet, if so… does that mean that we’ll have to have certain mods that are specific to those spaces?

Flag Post

@Bob: Not a bug, it’s a feature. Mods are automatically enrolled so they can understand the site as a whole. :)

Edit: Rooms are being set up as we speak, Hikari.

Flag Post

I can’t log into chat…

Bob has this problem too.. Anyother mods having trouble?

Flag Post

Finally! :D

(Unfortunately I have nowhere near $30 a year to spend on Kong D:)

EDIT:

brony skin

Fuck it, I can live without hot water for a few months.

Flag Post

It could be one of the chat scripts we use, going to go through a process of elimination…

Flag Post

me no like this
Add online storage for save files and I’ll buy it.

Flag Post

Huh, thirty dollars a year for a few chat rooms? I could spend the same amount one time and get so much more from plenty of other sites. Not really interested at all.

Flag Post

I don’t want beta access, private chat rooms and fancy logo next to my username, I just want to choose my own profile skins for free :(

Flag Post

Oh, there’s the other chat rooms now.

OK, I’ll bite, then. Not that I do a lot of wandering around the site or anything.

Flag Post

Are you ever going to buy KongPlus?

Flag Post
Originally posted by UnknownGuardian:

I can’t log into chat…

I assume you’ve tried refreshing? I’ve let the programmers know.

Originally posted by Senekis93:

me no like this
Add online storage for save files and I’ll buy it.

That might be something we could do in the future. I mean, I’m not sure. But I like the idea.

Flag Post
Originally posted by JKuang:

I keep on hoping that this will be some horrid joke, as this is not the Kongregate I’ve come to know and love. But sadly, I doubt that, assuming this was real, they would go back on it if it was started. I have desperate hopes this isn’t as it seems.

After looking at the features, it seemed like a bad joke. After seeing the info so integrated into the site (as evidenced by clicking the built in link on UnknownGaurdian’s profile), I can see that this appears to actually be legit. cool features like profile backgrounds and personal rooms is really a move for Kongregate as a whole that causes me to lose respect for them. And especially the “better customer service” thing they listed, that’s pathetic.

If they needed this money, then I could see that. But there’s so many better ways to have done it if money was needed, at this point it just seems to be greed. And that’s where lines are crossed, screwing over most users and giving what everyone could have and should have received (ex: profile backgrounds, more content in the future will probably have these same limitations), and just splitting up the community for what honestly appears to be 100% greed and a desire to make more profit is pathetic. It’s unnecessary. it’s shameful, and it’s something terrible that really shows the kind of change Kongregate has gone through. This is the day where Kongregate’s changed to become unrecognizable as it’s original self, and has shifted its focus to greed and their selves, instead of the community.

Edit: The majority/all of this post is invalid, and I apologize for it. It was immature and irrational of me to get so worked up about it, and this post is just a mess of bad word choice and misrepresentation of myself. Sorry about that, and if you look at my post here, then you can view my post apologizing for this and my attempt to straighten out what I meant to say.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Constatino:

I don’t want beta access, private chat rooms and fancy logo next to my username, I just want my choose own profile skins for free :(

You realise that it costs money to make all this stuff, right?

Flag Post
Originally posted by ElBandito81:

I keep on hoping that this will be some horrid joke, as this is not the Kongregate I’ve come to know and love. But sadly, I doubt that, assuming this was real, they would go back on it if it was started. I have desperate hopes this isn’t as it seems.

Blame it on Gamestop. I like the profile skins though!

Flag Post

30 dollars a year? Isn’t that a bit of an overkill?

Flag Post
Originally posted by SAl37:

What the hell is this? 30 dollars a year? Isn’t that a bit of an overkill?

Less than 10 cents a day.

Flag Post

What’s not to like? :) Kongregate is still the same, you aren’t required to pay a thing – though for those who don’t want advertisements, they can pay a yearly fee and also get some private chats, profile skins, and access to beta games. In the past we’ve had users say they’d pay to have no advertisements, and the extra stuff are just perks.

Originally posted by SAl37:

What the hell is this? 30 dollars a year? Isn’t that a bit of an overkill?

That’s close to eight cents a day, so not too bad. :D

Flag Post
Originally posted by BobTheCoolGuy:

Blame it on Gamestop. I like the profile skins though!

Yeah, I like the cool feature that normal users won’t get to have too. Everyone likes it. That’s why they didn’t give it to us.

Edit: The majority/all of this post is invalid, and I apologize for it. It was immature and irrational of me to get so worked up about it, and this post is just a mess of bad word choice and misrepresentation of myself. Sorry about that, and if you look at my post here, then you can view my post apologizing for this and my attempt to straighten out what I meant to say.