Forums Kongregate

Official Kong Plus Thread page 2

1014 posts

Flag Post

After all the work Kong has done, I reckon $30 is a good price. The features seem very promising, too.

Flag Post

Erm, what?

Flag Post

@Selly, we took the screenshot on a test server. I couldn’t have gotten all the screenshots if I had waited until it was up on the main site.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Adrokila:

After all the work Kong has done, I reckon $30 is a good price. The features seem very promising, too.

Kong already profited off of us going on their site, through ads and other means.

I dislike this because it shows that Kong has taken a step towards themselves, not the community. It’s a greed-fueled act, and I feel sad seeing Kong make such a move.

Edit: The majority/all of this post is invalid, and I apologize for it. It was immature and irrational of me to get so worked up about it, and this post is just a mess of bad word choice and misrepresentation of myself. Sorry about that, and if you look at my post here, then you can view my post apologizing for this and my attempt to straighten out what I meant to say.

Flag Post

It’s a greed-fueled act, and I feel sad seeing Kong make such a move.

I’m not sure how you know that we’re doing perfectly well, and that we don’t need to do this to help us a great deal. :S GameStop has given us a lot, it’s true. But the great flexibility and independence they’ve given us is dependent on us being a lucrative purchase for them. In order to keep Kong as much the same as possible, this is something that’s pretty necessary. And to be honest, I personally don’t believe this will change a “normal” Kong user’s experience one bit. You don’t have to believe me, but there it is. :)

Flag Post

I dislike this because it shows that Kong has taken a step towards themselves, not the community. It’s a greed-fueled act, and I feel sad seeing Kong make such a move.

Courtesy of Emily – Kong gots to pay the bills, yo. People have been requesting an ad-free service for a years. We put in a few additional features to make it more compelling but thought very hard on what they should be so that they could be positive for the subscribers without in any way negatively impacting non-subscribers. For example we could have done double points earning on badges, and a lot of people would have bought that, but we didn’t want to put subscribers at a disadvantage.

As the community grows, we want to bring you guys more awesome features – this isn’t for us, it’s for you guys. We want to keep having awesome contest prizes (and keep the site running!) :D

Flag Post

if I get kong plus, will my games be featured on kongregate? I think no, so I say no to kong plus!

Flag Post
Originally posted by ElBandito81:
Originally posted by Adrokila:

Kong already profited off of us going on their site, through ads and other means.

And they’re not profiting (much) off of this either, because it costs money to make this stuff. Did you think that the coders were just homeless bums off the street they asked to mash keyboards for a few hours? That’s only Phoenix

Originally posted by Ducklette:

@Selly, we took the screenshot on a test server. I couldn’t have gotten all the screenshots if I had waited until it was up on the main site.

But the chat room has both 2 and 3 people on it…

Flag Post

I don’t blame you guys for doing this. Fuck, I am totally down with buying stuff on sites. But I don’t feel there is enough incentive to spend $30 a year for a chat room and a background, when I could spend less than that on a one off payment and get a fuckload more on a better site.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Zshadow:
Originally posted by ElBandito81:
Originally posted by JKuang:

Isn’t it a bit early for an April Fool’s joke? >_>

I keep on hoping that this will be some horrid joke, as this is not the Kongregate I’ve come to know and love. But sadly, I doubt that, assuming this was real, they would go back on it if it was started. I have desperate hopes this isn’t as it seems.

What’s not to like? :) Kongregate is still the same, you aren’t required to pay a thing – though for those who don’t want advertisements, they can pay a yearly fee and also get some private chats, profile skins, and access to beta games.

Originally posted by SAl37:

What the hell is this? 30 dollars a year? Isn’t that a bit of an overkill?

That’s close to eight cents a day, so not too bad. :D

Please, don’t patronize me. I don’t want to be rude or immature, but I believe it’s rather obvious what there “isn’t to like”. Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate what Kongregate has done, but surely you guys expected opposition to this. And do you guys know why there’d be opposition? Because it is, as common sense and just basic instinct and a normal reaction from nearly any user would tell/show you, it’s just a bad move. It’s a greed inspired action, that separates the community and screws over most users who don’t want to shell out a subscription based payment for you guys.

I’ve already mentioned several other things “not to like” in this thread, some of the, being in an updated version of my post that you’d quoted.

Edit: The majority/all of this post is invalid, and I apologize for it. It was immature and irrational of me to get so worked up about it, and this post is just a mess of bad word choice and misrepresentation of myself. Sorry about that, and if you look at my post here, then you can view my post apologizing for this and my attempt to straighten out what I meant to say.

Flag Post
Originally posted by SAl37:

30 dollars a year? Isn’t that a bit of an overkill?

I was actually stunned at how cheap it was.

It’s about time, kong! I look forward to purchasing/renting this fine product!

Flag Post
Originally posted by Cammy_Justice:

I don’t blame you guys for doing this. Fuck, I am totally down with buying stuff on sites. But I don’t feel there is enough incentive to spend $30 a year for a chat room and a background, when I could spend less than that on a one off payment and get a fuckload more on a better site.

Then just don’t buy it. I’ll admit that $30 did seem like a lot at first, but really, the list of features is pretty extensive. If I had spare money I probably would buy this, $0.08 a day is really jack-all.

Please, don’t patronize me. I don’t want to be rude or immature, but I believe it’s rather obvious what there “isn’t to like”. Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate what Kongregate has done, but surely you guys expected opposition to this. And do you guys know why there’d be opposition? Because it is, as common sense and just basic instinct and a normal reaction from nearly any user would tell/show you, it’s just a bad move. It’s a greed inspired action, that separates the community and screws over most users who don’t want to shell out a subscription based payment for you guys.

I’ve already mentioned several other things “not to like” in this thread, some of the, being in an updated version of my post that you’d quoted.

I’m going to patronise you all I want when you somehow seem to believe you know Kong’s financial state better than they do.

Flag Post

About the greedyness…

This wouldn’t make them money at all, not a single fuck of it.

8cents a day…That’s just a few page views to = that. So every kong+ they sell is worse ad revenue for them.
Lets say all of OT got kong+… That would be a net loss of over 40$ a day, so they would lose over 1,000$ in revenue over the year.

Flag Post

But I don’t feel there is enough incentive to spend $30 a year for a chat room and a background, when I could spend less than that on a one off payment and get a fuckload more on a better site.

And that’s totally fine. I wasn’t responsible for choosing the pricing, but I’m going to venture a guess that the people who were thought it was reasonable. You definitely don’t have to, though. It’s just one of those times when we can agree to disagree. And perhaps in the future, we’ll be able to add some features that would be more useful to you.

Flag Post
Originally posted by atom_storm:

Please tell us that we won’t get that K+ icon. I feel like users will loathe us even more.

The “M” will trump the “K+,” and also I posted in the OP about how to turn it off.

Edit: OH GOD I DOUBLE POSTED! I AM GOING TO FORUM HELL.

Flag Post
Originally posted by atom_storm:

Please tell us that we won’t get that K+ icon. I feel like users will loathe us even more.

You can disable it.

EDIT: Damn you Ducky and your server-side speeds.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Sellyme:

Then just don’t buy it. I’ll admit that $30 did seem like a lot at first, but really, the list of features is pretty extensive. If I had spare money I probably would buy this, $0.08 a day is really jack-all.

Yeah, I wasn’t planning on buying it. I was merely pointing out that they could do something useful with it, like charging to use the forums.

Flag Post

Mixed feelings.

Flag Post

I’ve been asking for private rooms for years… and that I’d pay $50 for one. I’ll take $30/year. Plus, it’s a tax write-off!

So if any IiN people or friends of mine want to join my private room, let me know.

Flag Post
Originally posted by EndlessSporadic:

Mixed feelings.

Pretty much it. On one hand, having no ads is a great thing for people with slow computers. And I’d personally rather spend $30.00 a year for K+ instead of shelling out $180 for three new console games.

On the other hand, it was implied for a long time that Kongregate would always be free. That, and the fact that it seems like GameStop is breathing down Jim and Emily’s necks doesn’t make it any better. Then there’s always the group of people who automatically hate anything that changes on Kongregate (whom I suspect will be even more numerous this time).

Flag Post

Is there an option to turn ads back on?

Also, does this mean developers won’t be paid for views from kong+ users?

Flag Post

On the other hand, it was implied for a long time that Kongregate would always be free.

And it still is. You have the OPTION to buy the subscription, but if you don’t buy a subscription, things will be the same as they always were. Everyone will still get site updates and such. You can still keep Kong free for yourself if you want to, and we promise we won’t sic AC on you.

Really. We trained her not to bite. As much.

Flag Post
Originally posted by WarmGesture:

Is there an option to turn ads back on?

Also, does this mean developers won’t be paid for views from kong+ users?

Nope, they still will. It just comes out of the subscription fee instead of the ad revenue. :)

Flag Post
Originally posted by InfiniteHunter:

On the other hand, it was implied for a long time that Kongregate would always be free. That, and the fact that it seems like GameStop is breathing down Jim and Emily’s necks doesn’t make it any better. Then there’s always the group of people who automatically hate anything that changes on Kongregate (whom I suspect will be even more numerous this time).

Kongregate still is free. Everything that they had before they still have now, and it is still free. They wouldn’t have been able to get all this extra stuff available for free, though. Well, not without losing a ton of money. So it’s either have the standard Kong, or have the standard Kong plus an optional better Kong.

EDIT: Seriously, admins: Stop having 0ms pings. It gets really irritating being ninja’d so often :|

Flag Post

if I have K+ and no longer see ads, does this mean I can’t get points from ads that give points?