Forums Kongregate

Medals for games

13 posts

Flag Post

Here an addition you guys could possibly add to give people something else to do, as well as promote some healthy competition in the channels.

Medals
At random times throughout the day (completely random times) chat will say soemthing like…

<There is currently a Medal Challenge on for Desktop Tower Defence 1.5. The first person to finish Medium mode gets a Gold Medal, second gets Silver and Third gets Bronze.>

So, everyone in the channel will start playing it, trying to beat medium first, to get the Gold medal, which will be recorded in your profile. When it is won, a message will be sent in chat;
<Jogimux has completed Desktop Tower Defence Medal Challenge in 7:11, awarding him the gold medal. Silver and Bronze are still up for grabs>

The benefits of this system are twofold. People will be playing games WAITING for the medals to come on, increasing the traffic to the site. Secondly…It can be a way to make people play older games, without having to put a specific badge on it. Plus, it will give an incentive to play all the games, as any game could be up for the challenge next.

Additions, constructive criticism and comments are more than welcome. :)

Flag Post

People will just whine that it’s not fair they didn’t get a chance to get it, just like the Cards.

Flag Post

the only problem is that would be very hard to implement, random statistics and such. Also only being available randomly, extra-difficult. Would only one chat room have it, or would every chat have it at the same time?

Flag Post

Plus it would just get a ton of smarter people to go to the spanish chatroom with a total of 1 member on it EVER.

Flag Post

I’m with Eggy on this one. As with the cards this would serve to create an upper class of player who have these medals. I am, in general, opposed to anything that can only be earned once or for a certain time period. You could continually rotate through the medals so that everyone gets a shot at them, which would prevent problems like those originating from the card disaster.

Flag Post

Bah, my net cut out when I was editting it for clarification.

The medals would not be game-specific, they would simply be a medal shown in your profile. Eg, Jogimux has 5 gold medals, 2 silver and 1 bronze, rather than having a “Gold Medal for xxx game”.
My post looks like it got cut down too, cuz there was a fair bit of writing in the < > areas, but they must have been some sort of formatting error.

They would be available all the time, and they would have no real value (rather than the cards which do have a value of some kind)

Flag Post

Whyyyyyyyyyyyy seriosly arent badges enoght if this contiues there will be hey why dont we have tropies topics not only that kong is one of the few sites hat offers badges but now your greedy

Flag Post

I actually kind of like the idea :)

But, I don’t think we have time to implement anything like this in the near future.

@Rekov, disaster? That’s a strong word for something that people seem to enjoy!

Flag Post

Maybe they could give the medals out to show you have a high score? Gold is first place in all time of course or you could do trophies instead; it would say what game so someone checking out your profile can know what game to play to try to beat your high score. I think that would be better then random medals

Flag Post

That’s actually not a bad idea at all, VertFire!

Flag Post

Glad you like it. Ive been waiting for a way to show off our high scores.

Flag Post

Just gotta sort out this whole notion of ‘random’. Say… lagged Fibonacci generator?

Is it going to be a chat global competition? It could be one chat global competition a day?

Flag Post

Yep i have seen these hacked scores and if you go along with my idea you would need a mod to go around and have the ability to delete them. They should then get a warning shout on their profile if they get 2 or 3 they get banned.
But I think the mods are doing a lot now so it may not be practical