Forums Kongregate

Kongregate Cloud Saves

11 posts

Flag Post

The only thing that would make this site better than any other flash site is the ability to do cloud saves across your favorite games. If money is an issue why not just make it a Kong Plus feature.

Flag Post

Cloud saving uses an incredible amount of data. :/ For my chat app, I just store an integer value for time and in about 50,000 views I rack up a good 50,000 database values and 10 megs or so of data. About 49900 of these players never return again (but could at some point) so its a super massive waste.

Now say you had 10,000 games with this cloud storage, each with 300,000 unique users storing more than just 1 integer. Thats a lot of data. And a lot of wasted data too with some users not returning ever again.

That is why, IMO, Kong has left that up to the developer to implement.

Flag Post

Also, the cloud is bad.

Flag Post

Seriously? I just made a suggestion. I don’t need a long drawn out explanation about how my suggestion is stupid.

Flag Post
Originally posted by PWNGEoftheGODS:

Seriously? I just made a suggestion. I don’t need a long drawn out explanation about how my suggestion is stupid.

He didn’t call it a stupid suggestion, he just said why it’s impractical. And if he hadn’t made that post explaining why it’s unreasonable, then we’d have 30 people clamoring for your suggestion to be implemented tomorrow or they were going to boycott Kongregate. So his post was completely 100% warranted.

Flag Post

I thought that was the whole point of Forums in general. To discuss. And more or less, Unknown wasn’t trying to diminish your idea as stupid, but enlighten on why they won’t. Only trying to help just like your suggestion would be trying to help in your opinion, improve this website; however, if you mean that he should write less, well, I just don’t think that’s in his capacity knowing him personally. :P Nor in mine, clearly.

EDIT: Ninja’d. >:C

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheWhiteAngel:however, if you mean that he should write less, well, I just don’t think that’s in his capacity knowing him personally.

:O friends--; :D

@OP Sorry for being a bit technical, perhaps making the intent misleading. That whole post can be summed up in that yes, its a wonderful idea but I just wanted to point out why it hasn’t been done already and probably won’t be done in the future.

Flag Post

He also suggested it to be a feature just for Kong+ users; it’s not an extremely bad idea and will actually make me at least consider buying (if the price lowers).

Flag Post

A bigger problem is the fact that it’s way easier for Flash to save to your PC than to a database. Every game would need to be rewritten to handle it, which is pretty unlikely to happen :P

Flag Post

As I said on the Kong+ thread: add this and I’ll buy it.

No need to rewrite the games, a simple “set the location of your chat.kongregate folder” for the first time and then a button to upload the whole thing should be enough.
Then some option to synchronize and that’s about it.

Of course, all of this would be optimized so it only uploads/downloads files that have been updated since last synchronization

My whole Kong folder is around 10 MB… could be 15 if it wasn’t because I lost all my saved data some months ago. The point is, 10 MB of diskspace costs less than $2. Add another 2, 3 for the bandwith usage and Kong still gets $25 from K+.

Flag Post

He was just going out of his way to explain it to you and help you understand the reasoning behind his post.