Forums Kongregate

New Kongregate Version: Profile bar changes and minor bug fixes

44 posts

Flag Post

First change of the new year! Sorry that there isn’t too much stuff in this release but a lot of us are still recovering from too much fun during the New Year. We know you’ll understand! So here are the changes.

Have you ever tried to expand the profile menu and accidentally clicked your username and been taken you to your profile page instead? Well that happens to us all the time! So often, in fact, that we changed it. Now only clicking your avatar or the “My Profile” link in the profile menu will take you to your profile. Selecting your username will only expand the profile menu.

Another nice change is that if you only have private messages, clicking the message indicator will take you straight to your private messages. You no longer have to select private messages once you get to your messages page. We’ve also made some other tweaks and improvements, but you can read about those below or in our change logs here.

Flag Post

User:

• Fix K+ usernames not showing up in comments
  • Kong Plus icon appears in chat profile
  • Clicking username or down arrow of profile menu no longer goes to your profile page
  • Fix chat room bouncing to top bug
  • Clicking mail icon goes to unread messages
  • Forum link fixes
  • Users are notified that chat room is full when trying to enter a private chat room
  • Recommended badge icons are now clickable
  • Entire feature roll image is now clickable

Flag Post

D: The username clicking was so quick!

RIP shortcuts

Thanks for the chat bug, and mail bug. Those were fairly annoying.

Flag Post
Originally posted by UnknownGuardian:

RIP shortcuts

Clicking on the avatar still brings you straight to your profile page. Still one click just a different location.

Flag Post
Clicking mail icon goes to unread messages

Love you guys :3

Flag Post

It’s the little things that make our lives easier. 8)
Thank you! Love the Charter medal too.

Flag Post

Lovely to get the message thing fixed. :D

Flag Post
Originally posted by joe1017:
Originally posted by UnknownGuardian:

RIP shortcuts

Clicking on the avatar still brings you straight to your profile page. Still one click just a different location.

Works just as well, I was already used to clicking the arrow all the time, lazy me :P

Flag Post

User:

• Clicking username or down arrow of profile menu no longer goes to your profile page

wth…

I’m used to click my name to enter the profile :O It’s way convenient than clicking the avatar

Flag Post

For private rooms… PLEASE add some sort of permanence to them. Please please please.

Here are my 2 forms of suggestions on how to improve the current method:

0. Current Method – I have to invite each person individually to my private room. If they leave for 2 minutes, I have to re-invite them. SUPER annoying… and I never know when new friends are online to invite; forced to constantly check room chat to see who is on or they have to constantly PM me. People can’t get into my room if I’m not actively there to invite them.

1. Permanence – Instead of the silly 2 minutes thing… 1 private room is tracked, just like your standard room. If you leave Kong for any amount of time, you still automatically join the last chat room you were in. You should also automatically join the last private chat room you were in… and have the option, should you want, of exiting it so that you are no longer in any private room.

2. Make others join my room, instead of me inviting them – I have a friends list for a reason… 3000+ people have friended me, and are therefore my fans. However, those people are not my friends. I’ve taken the time to friend 200+ people, and those people are my friends. As such, those people should be able to join my private chat room whenever they want without me having to invite them. Instead of me hovering over their name to invite them, and them having to accept… they just hover over my name and click to join my private room. This makes my life much easier, as I never have to check to see who is online AND it allows any of my friends to enter my room, even if I’m not physically at my computer (I leave Kong open 24/7, so I’m always in my room).

Please make these changes. They are logical and completely wipe out the frustrating current methodologies of private chatrooms.

Thanks!

edit: and to clarify #2: The check would be that “if I am a fan of you, you may auto-enter my private room”. So onHover of mouse, check if I’m their fan… if I am, add the little “Join Private” link to the list of options along with “view profile” “private message” “mute” etc.

Flag Post

Agreed with Tass wholeheartedly. His suggestions are solid and would streamline the private chat experience.

Flag Post

I also concur and hope to see these private chat features implemented.

Flag Post
Originally posted by CandyCastle:
Clicking mail icon goes to unread messages

Love you guys :3

Me too :D

~90% of the messages I get are private so this was really annoying :p

Originally posted by Gomo_Psivarh:

User:

wth…

I’m used to click my name to enter the profile :O It’s way convenient than clicking the avatar

I sadly agree with this one.

So it’s give in one had and take from another xD

Flag Post

User:

wth…

Same here, I usually just click the name. At least there are other good updates/fixes that outweigh this one. :p

Flag Post

Oh, hello there Charter Badge. Thanks!

Flag Post

User:

Yes! Yes! Yes! Thank you! This drove me nuts.

Flag Post
Originally posted by JKuang:

User:

Yes! Yes! Yes! Thank you! This drove me nuts.

I second this

Flag Post
Originally posted by GoGoogleIt:

User:

wth…

Same here, I usually just click the name. At least there are other good updates/fixes that outweigh this one. :p

I also don’t really like that change, means more effort for me to reach my profile… :/ But since I can still click on the avatar and the other changes are nice, it’s not too bad.

Flag Post

Have you ever tried to expand the profile menu and accidentally clicked your username and been taken you to your profile page instead?

Nope.

Flag Post

How is it “more effort” to get to your profile? It’s 20 pixels to the left, same number of clicks. In fact, it’s more centered, so probably is less “effort” on average. Yes, it’ll take some getting used-to to break the muscle memory if you were clicking the username, but the functionality is still present – click the avatar instead. The change saves a lot of miss-clicks and frustration for some people while just sliding over the existing functionality to the avatar.

And yes, we hear you guys on private chat streamlining. I’m not on the product team, so I really can’t make any promises, but we’re aware of it and need to figure out what the best solution is. I think permanence may be unlikely, since that could get unruly and the system wasn’t designed for it, but using some sort of whitelist or join method would probably make sense. Either way, this isn’t the thread to discuss it. :P

Flag Post
Originally posted by Phoenix00017:

How is it “more effort” to get to your profile? It’s 20 pixels to the left, same number of clicks. In fact, it’s more centered, so probably is less “effort” on average. Yes, it’ll take some getting used-to to break the muscle memory if you were clicking the username, but the functionality is still present – click the avatar instead. The change saves a lot of miss-clicks and frustration for some people while just sliding over the existing functionality to the avatar.

What did clicking your avatar do before? Nothing, or was it linked? Either way, it does significantly decrease the width of the target which will increase time to click it. Not like it’s that big of a deal at all :D, but might as well point this out.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitts%27_law

Anyway, great message fix!

Flag Post

I don’t think “muscle memory” and getting used to it is the issue, Phoenix00017.

There’s no obvious link to your profile shown by default, but at least clicking on your username might seem a logical step to it.
Who is going to think to click on their avatar to get to their profile?

And I honestly don’t ever recall hearing of a single case where someone has somehow accidentally clicked on it when they only wanted to bring up the hover menu….
Can anyone else?

I am glad the bug where the chat was scrolled to the top after you viewed a profile has been fixed.
I think we all are :P

Flag Post

Also, a very logical fix would be expanding the hover area to the divider, instead of only the right-side of the arrow. Perhaps they didn’t do this for some reason, but it’s slightly odd to hover to the right of the little arrow and have nothing happen. Heh heh, nitpicking for the win.

Flag Post

i cant login to my account

Flag Post

SOMETHING IS WRONG.i cant play any games on kongregate . and plus i need to log in. but i can write messages like im online.whats wrong?
plzzz fix. it says this when i try log on {"full_finalize_form_facebook_connection_url":“http://www.kongregate.com/facebook_connection/full_finalize_form”,from_facebook,“destination_uri”:“http://www.kongregate.com/”,signup_tab,from_lightbox,ban_id,existing_user,new_facebook_connection,authenticated,“username”:“lonewolf1621”,success

plzz fix