Forums Kongregate

More levels before 2013? page 3

85 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by Thyrael:

So why should only badge points matter in regards to the cap?

Because that’s the argument people have been using to discourage a raise of the level cap. Also because I support the idea of a change in the points system: A badge level and a community or whatever level for everything else.

Originally posted by Cammy_Justice:

You can’t get to it though badges, I don’t see why you are complaining.

Originally posted by burrito:
Originally posted by Cammy_Justice:

I don’t see what point you are trying to make, no one at level 65 got there solely through badges, where is the problem?

No one CAN get to level 65 with solely badges, it only takes you to 59(+ or-)
ish?

Originally posted by HappyAlcoholic:
In my opinion, the level cap should be whatever level you can get to on pure badge points.
Originally posted by alexgar:

Also the max level you can get with badges is 48 I believe so I dont see a need for increasing the level cap

Originally posted by DarkRainyKnight:

There aren’t enough badge points to get you to the level cap at this time.

Etc, etc, ad infinutum.

Also, I’m briging this up because I remember someone from Kong’s staff (maybe Zshadow) saying that they would eventually need to raise the cap and I feel this is a good moment to do so, since in a couple of months, players will be able to reach the cap without having to get referral points or having to spam rate 50 games/day. You won’t even need BoTDs to reach the cap.

As randomboy pointed out, while a new system is implemented (if ever), you can use Badge Master to check your badge points and badge level (check leaderboards).

Flag Post
Originally posted by Senekis93:

So why should only badge points matter in regards to the cap?

Because that’s the argument people have been using to discourage a raise of the level cap. Also because I support the idea of a change in the points system: A badge level and a community or whatever level for everything else.

If you think that I disagreed with that, then you completely misread my previous post.

I was pointing out that Kongregate once made the decision to throw all points together. That a point is a point, regardless of how it was earned. Using the argument that the cap isn’t reachable with badgepoints only doesn’t make sense to me, because those points aren’t more important or any special.

I also said that I find that a lousy decision from Kongregate, but that’s the way it (currently) is. I do also want a raise of the cap and imho it should have been done a year ago already.

As randomboy pointed out, while a new system is implemented (if ever), you can use Badge Master to check your badge points and badge level (check leaderboards).

Yeah, I know that nice tool, but it would be nice if for once it would not be necessary to load a tool by a player or a game or a userscript or a user webpage to do something that Kongregate could easily implement.

Flag Post

Thyrael, that’s really true and I never thought of that. It does seem pretty silly to base the cap solely off badges. I really hope the administration takes a look at overhauling the system; the first place they should look for inspiration is HappyAlcoholic.

On second thought, they might not. It’d upset major development houses like JayIsGames and the last thing you want to do is piss off your (best?) customers.

Flag Post

And that’s why the request for a raise in the cap is linked to the request for a new points system, since many (including me) believe that badge points are way more important.

Hell, any of you who got the Elona Shooter impossible remember how many weeks you spent trying? And yes, you got 60 points, which is what I could get in a day by making a 5 minutes script which automatically rates 50 games and 10 “art” things.

And yes, if it’s gonna stay the same, the “you can’t reach the cap with badges” argument is dumb, but so far it’s been enough to prevent new levels. The point here is “Well, now your last argument is void, what’s the excuse now?”

If they don’t split badges from everything else, then there’s even more reason to increase the cap (or to remove it entirely), but again, I think the current system is dumb; Jayisgames would be level 134, when he has the incredible ammount of 30 badges.

Flag Post

Why can’t it just be an infinite number of levels and for each new level the point requirement would go up a certain amount like for each level add maybe a small amount and as the level gets higher the needed amount of points would go up a little bit more than the last. The reason i joined kongregate was the badges and levels. I’m the kind of person that only sees point in doing something if I have something to accomplish and if/when i get to the level cap I probably wont see any more point in staying on kong anymore.

Flag Post

If they don’t split badges from everything else, then there’s even more reason to increase the cap (or to remove it entirely), but again, I think the current system is dumb; Jayisgames would be level 134, when he has the incredible ammount of 30 badges.

Given how many referrals jayisgames brings to Kongregate, I wouldn’t have a problem with him being level 1000000, much less level 134. If you want to have a separate badge leaderboard as well, I don’t have a problem with that (and I’m one of the strongest proponents of getting Kongregate to revise their leaderboards there is.)

Flag Post

Why can’t it just be an infinite number of levels and for each new level the point requirement would go up a certain amount like for each level add maybe a small amount and as the level gets higher the needed amount of points would go up a little bit more than the last

As far as I know, point requirements to level up are erratic or arbitrarily decided by designers of Kongregate (until pointed out to be wrong) so suddenly changing those point requirement values to follow some pattern is close to impossible. If you’re going to give out a certain pattern which determines how many point you need to level up, there is no other choice but to change already existing values to follow a new pattern which naturally would piss off all users.

If a new point requirement would be 25000 for level X, then all the users that’d level X before new point requirements were implemented would go down in a level scale (They’d be level Y which is lesser than level X)

It’s not very hard to come up with a new erratic point values to new higher levels. I approve

Flag Post

Actually, there’s a formula.

I don’t remember how it goes, but I figured it out some time ago:

javascript:f();function f(){var m=prompt("Enter mode ([L]evel or [P]oints).","L / P");m=m.toUpperCase();if(m=="L"||m=="P")var v=prompt("Enter "+(m=="L"?"level.":"points."));else{alert("Mode can only be L or P.");return;}v=parseInt(v);if(!v){alert("Invalid value.");return;}var m0=305169135,m1=999,e=[0],a=50,r=0,d=0,i=0,l=m1+1;if(m=="L")--v;while(++i<l){e[i]=e[i-1]+a;if(i<34)a+=i<29?10:20;else if(i<49){d=((i+2)-35)*.2;a+=20+(5*(Math.ceil(d)));}else{d=((i+2)-50)*.2;a+=35+(10*(Math.ceil(d)));}}if(m=="P"){if(v>m0)v=m0;while(v>=e[r])++r;}else{if(v>m1)v=m1;r=e[v];}alert(m=="L"?(c(r)+" points required for level "+(++v)+"."):(c(v)+" points would take you to level "+r+"."));}function c(n){var s=n.toString(),r=/(\d+)(\d{3})/;while(r.test(s))s=s.replace(r,"$1"+","+"$2");return s;}

You can paste that in the address bar if you have URL javascript enabled in your browser.

E:
@Thok: I don’t feel it’s accurate to have him above people who have earned over 2,000 badges, when he has 30.
And yes, I agree that he deserves some sort of reward for bringing so many new users and I wouldn’t have a problem with him being at the top of the proposed “Community” leaderboard.

Flag Post

^

Some incomprehensible code

Wow… and just, WOW

That is one heck of a code. If that is true, then kudos for you, Senekis – The decipherer

Flag Post

Did you obfuscate your code? Why?

Flag Post

No, I like my code compact.

Flag Post

Bump to say that I was looking at BM’s highscores and noticed that it’s already possible to reach level 65 with nothing but badge points.

Flag Post

Bump to say that I was looking at BM’s highscores and noticed that it’s already possible to reach level 65 with nothing but badge points.

Indeed.

Flag Post
Originally posted by adv0catus:
Originally posted by Senekis:

Indeed.

Ah, my bad. Never saw that thread. >_>

Flag Post

Been active on Kongregate since almost 4 years. Play most games with badges excluding shitty MMOs, and only managed to get to level 53 in all this time.
Increasing the max level would really annoy me because then it would seem no one can ever reach the max level despite a) people with mass referrers like jayisgames or b) people who either spend all day on kong or c) people who hack for badges.

Personally, I think 65 is a nice level. takes around 5 years to accomplish even for someone like me who is active almost daily.

Flag Post
Originally posted by dubesor:

Been active on Kongregate since almost 4 years. Play most games with badges excluding shitty MMOs, and only managed to get to level 53 in all this time.
Increasing the max level would really annoy me because then it would seem no one can ever reach the max level despite a) people with mass referrers like jayisgames or b) people who either spend all day on kong or c) people who hack for badges.

Personally, I think 65 is a nice level. takes around 5 years to accomplish even for someone like me who is active almost daily.

Since you accuse me and most other lvl 65s of being either a no-life or a hacker, I give you another possibility: you just suck at gaming and rating games if you didn’t reach the cap in the 4 years that you have been on Kong almost daily.

Unfortunately the whole discussion is pointless anyways ’cause Kong staff cba to respond on this matter for over a year now.

Flag Post

Levels should be uncapped according to my opinion or atleast 70.

Flag Post

I’d like an admin response here… Just to know where Kongregate is standing in this level cap thing…

Flag Post
Originally posted by resterman:

I’d like an admin response here… Just to know where Kongregate is standing in this level cap thing…

Agreed. We’ve gone past wading in the shores of speculation and dived right into the deep end. It’d be nice for an administrator to post, explaining their view on the level cap and what (if anything) is going to happen.

Flag Post

you just suck at gaming and rating games if you didn’t reach the cap in the 4 years that you have been on Kong almost daily.

Suck at rating? I rate every game I play. Sorry for not simply abusing the system and unfairly rating games that I didn’t play like most of you seem to do.
And yea I definitely suck at gaming. That’s why I have a third of the impossibles including 4 out of the 5 least awarded impossibles on the entire site.
Clearly that is the reason ◔_◔

Flag Post

“You suck at rating games” is one of the funniest things I have ever read on this site.

Flag Post

If enough people really want to raise the level cap, then so be it. But I am really, really opposed to there being no cap at all. I think someone else mentioned it earlier, but I would probably be less interested in Kong in general if there was no final goal to be aiming for.

I am certainly not one of the hardcore players here on Kong, but I have been around and pretty dedicated for over 3 years now. I’m one of those people who (way more than) primarily gets points from badges and quests so that is mainly what I focus on. And even though I have slowed down because I have to work now and such, I still find myself here looking for games to work slowly toward that elusive(for me) 65. If there were just infinite levels, I think I might stop showing up because all of a sudden levels mean nothing. Or at least less nothing than they do now. But that’s only my one opinion. Just felt I would voice it.

Flag Post

I have played here for three and a half years (let’s say three years because I disappeared for six months). I rate the games I play ; I’m not obsessed by badge hunting and I’m not a top player. But day after day, badge after badge, quest after quest, promotion after promotion, a google a day after a google a day, a badge of the day after a badge of the day, I tried and reached the level cap 15 days ago, in a normal way, if I can say so. Not that I’m very concerned about my level or my statistics. But now I have reached the level cap, and I’m a good example for those who argue for a new level cap.

Flag Post

This is the first time i open the forums :P
I didnt realize how Un-neardish i was :o
thansk you guys! i got a moment of the feeling “i got a life”

:D

Flag Post

Levels shouldn’t end at level 65. I’m sure a lot of people would be at level 67 if it weren’t for the cap.