Forums Kongregate

"Hey! Are you running an ad blocker?" (locked)

204 posts

Flag Post

Why yes, yes I am. How nice of your game to ask.

Flag Post

After 2 years they notice it. Interesting.

Flag Post

I would have found it rather humorous if they had made what essentially was an ad for Kongregate Plus unskippable.

Flag Post

I had this reply under the Kongbot topic but it is more appropriate here:

`
``````

Advertising before games to a captive audience will just get more and more use of Ad-Blocking software/plug-ins.

As I will NEVER click on an advert that annoys me or delays me, I don’t see how your developers will make a single rch of penny through this lame method.

Ad-blocking software is often necessary due to stupid ads that shake, blink, flash on and off or make noise that will distract me from what I am doing.

Continue this farce of shoving ads down our throats and we will vote with our feet and abandon your sold-out community.

Respectfully,

Ikaris

`
``

Let me add at this point that the buyout by the folks at GameStop (Does that stand for Stop Gaming and start Paying?) has not added value to the site user but instead we have seen the rapid shift towards a pay to play model from what was a free flash game site. After what happened to the EBGames shops where all the PC games have been stepped on and kicked to a tiny rack so we can have 100 copies of every console game on the wall instead of variety I am distrustful of the new overlords of Kong.

For now we have to click through a notice that Kong is spying on our browser and detected an ad-blocker on our computers. Soon enough you will not be able to play without annoying ads everywhere. Later it will be a site where everything but old titles are pay to play with creds … a cheesy arcade without the stick floor.

Flag Post

Let me add at this point that the buyout by the folks at GameStop (Does that stand for Stop Gaming and start Paying?) has not added value to the site user but instead we have seen the rapid shift towards a pay to play model from what was a free flash game site.

I’d like to add that nobody is requiring you to buy anything on our site. The notice on the game is simply there to ask users who use AdBlock to not do so, as we rely on advertisements to earn revenue which we use to pay developers… Is that really so bad? :P They bring us free games, after all, and hours upon hours of enjoyment. The least we could do is sit through a few seconds of advertisement, or support the site that brings these free games to you. ;)

Flag Post

Put simply Kongregate has servers, Servers require money, Gamestop provides that money but expects a viable return for this. Ad revenue is large when scaled to a kongregate sized community.
I use an ad blocker yes because with the current level of marketing on the internet is LOUD RINGING NOISES and LARGE FLASHING LIGHTS when im trying to concentrate or listen to music. Also the enlarging ones are equally annoying when you accidentally hover over it for a micron of a second when swinging the mouse and then having a massive image penetrate onto the screen in full blocking the action in question… im rambling… But if ad’s had more respect we’d respect the ads more., until they grow up a bit we’ll use ad blockers. Especially since some ad’s have activated my antivirus software… nice touch. (Yes i’m looking at you adf.ly)

But saying they are moving to a pay to play model is ridiculous. They are addressing an issue that they aren’t getting the ad revenue as they expected. This is common. They are being paid by some people to advertise their games on the highlight reel, which is cool, thats fine. But thats not forcing the user to pay. The gripe you SHOULD have is the developers adpoting the freemium model. Offering the core game for free but allowing you buy buy extras. THAT is likely the model to see here in the future. This is likely because Kreds can be easily integrated with them using the Kong API. Will you HAVE to pay to play these games, No. Just to play the extras.
This can go too far however. People could make a shell of a game playable and only offer the full game to paying members, this is a bad model and will more than likely not pay off in the end.

So will I stop using adblocker, no. It protects me from being aggravated. It allows me to scour the internet for the necessary 16 hours a day with less hassle. Will I stop coming to kongregate if they somehow disable games if you run an adblocker, yes. I will not shut it down. I love the games on here, but kongregate have got to be reasonable. If people have gone out of their way to get an ad blocker, then the ads were obviously causing them significant hassle to begin with. You’d be dividing your audience significantly and this is bad. If you wanna continue advertising then the main page is perfect, i check that highlight reel almost daily now, im interested in the ones that catch my eye and more often than not i will check them out unless i fell they have ulterior motives…

Adblocker is good for gamers but bad for business. But gamers are good for business, so inherently what is good for gamers is good for business, you just need to work your model around that.

Flag Post

basically what the last two non admins said.

even kong staff has to admit it, almost nobody actually clicks an ad voluntarily, and most of the people who do click an ad did it on a misclick. those big flashy or pop up ads are done solely to induce misclicks. i have no respect for that.

if the ads were less intrusive, id be much more willing to disable my ad-blocker for kong. the flashier the ads, the more likely i will block you. this new pop up every time i want to start a new game making me click another button or wait 10 seconds is not encouraging me to allow ads, and it is certainly not encouraging me to buy k+

Flag Post

I think it should be noticed again that ads in game pages (not forums though) pays not just by clicks, but by views (showing on screen).

Flag Post
Originally posted by bobby71983:

basically what the last two non admins said.

even kong staff has to admit it, almost nobody actually clicks an ad voluntarily, and most of the people who do click an ad did it on a misclick. those big flashy or pop up ads are done solely to induce misclicks. i have no respect for that.

if the ads were less intrusive, id be much more willing to disable my ad-blocker for kong. the flashier the ads, the more likely i will block you. this new pop up every time i want to start a new game making me click another button or wait 10 seconds is not encouraging me to allow ads, and it is certainly not encouraging me to buy k+

You can skip all of the pre-roll ads on here. And there are no pop-ups or flashy ads.

Flag Post

A nice middle ground is Flashblock – an add-on that lets you choose which Flash objects you want to start on each page. So, you click to start the game and chat, but not the adverts on the page.

It removes the worst adverts (typically, the ones that move a lot, make a noise, cause you to lag, expand over your screen) but leaves the less in-your-face ones alone.

Of course it’s not perfect for the site, but it’s better for it than adblock. Been using it for years and makes the internet so much more bearable.

Flag Post

Kong has never run a single ad that I found to be intrusive.

I think it’s greedy to expect to be able to use Kong without any ads at all if you won’t pay for the privilege. I found a much better way of dealing with sites that have too much intrusive advertising on them – I don’t visit them again.

The ironic thing is that the more you whine about ads and do your best to block them and avoid them at all costs, the more websites have to implement paid features and more intrusive forms of advertising.

Flag Post
Originally posted by saybox:

Kong has never run a single ad that I found to be intrusive.

I think it’s greedy to expect to be able to use Kong without any ads at all if you won’t pay for the privilege. I found a much better way of dealing with sites that have too much intrusive advertising on them – I don’t visit them again.

The ironic thing is that the more you whine about ads and do your best to block them and avoid them at all costs, the more websites have to implement paid features and more intrusive forms of advertising.

i EXPECT to be able to get all of this for free and if not, ill find another competitor who is giving it to me for free.

if thats greedy, i fully admit im greedy and not ashamed of it.

Flag Post

I give it a week before there’s a greasemonkey script to remove it. If not sooner.

Flag Post

AdBlock is already building a list for allowed (non intrusive) ads, but as most ads are horrible (either move, blink, sound, etc.), the current list is a joke.

Ad companies are the ones to blame for accepting such annoying ads. Go back to the good old, small, non animated rectangles with two or three words and the list will start growing.

Flag Post

This is a complete assumption on my part, but it appears true so far.

On the Nightly build for Mozilla Firefox, running ad-block plus on Kongregate will result in freezing my browser, and me having to go into task manager to close the process. It took me much to long to figure this out.

Flag Post

i EXPECT to be able to get all of this for free and if not, ill find another competitor who is giving it to me for free.

you won’t find one since every major free site is funded either by ads or paid content – and most of them also allow ingame ads as well, which Kong doesn’t.

Flag Post

i will go to the site that annoys me with ads the least then.

there are always better options, the internet is quite large. i only even found kong because of an in-game link in epic war 3 on agame. i played on that site as actively as i played here, and i no longer play there. its very easy to gain and lose players.

at the moment, kong is probably the best, but they shouldnt get too comfortable.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Zshadow:

Let me add at this point that the buyout by the folks at GameStop (Does that stand for Stop Gaming and start Paying?) has not added value to the site user but instead we have seen the rapid shift towards a pay to play model from what was a free flash game site.

I’d like to add that nobody is requiring you to buy anything on our site. The notice on the game is simply there to ask users who use AdBlock to not do so, as we rely on advertisements to earn revenue which we use to pay developers… Is that really so bad? :P They bring us free games, after all, and hours upon hours of enjoyment. The least we could do is sit through a few seconds of advertisement, or support the site that brings these free games to you. ;)

@Zshadow,

With respect, really you (Kong and the Overlords at GameStop) seem to have added movie trailer-esque ads to either sell the Kong Plus fee schedule (a subscription based business model) or increase site advertising? Generally in an internet setting advertisers do not pay unless there is a click on the ad and often a transaction on the advertisers website. Sometimes a peanut is thrown for a simple click. Kreds are already present in the site economy and many developers are using them to demand premium payment to enjoy their games at anything but a wounded snail’s pace.

Advertisers are usually a completely amoral form of slime that will use any method to bombard the user and beat them into a purchase.

—> Back after looking at the financial reports for GameStop.

You are remarkably profitable to use the begging for pennies to pay the developers or to keep the servers running argument.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ikaris:
Originally posted by Zshadow:

@Zshadow,

With respect, really you (Kong and the Overlords at GameStop) seem to have added movie trailer-esque ads to either sell the Kong Plus fee schedule (a subscription based business model) or increase site advertising? Generally in an internet setting advertisers do not pay unless there is a click on the ad and often a transaction on the advertisers website. Sometimes a peanut is thrown for a simple click. Kreds are already present in the site economy and many developers are using them to demand premium payment to enjoy their games at anything but a wounded snail’s pace.

Advertisers are usually a completely amoral form of slime that will use any method to bombard the user and beat them into a purchase.

—> Back after looking at the financial reports for GameStop.

You are remarkably profitable to use the begging for pennies to pay the developers or to keep the servers running argument.

While I’m not commenting on the main part of your post – keep in mind that Gamestop would not keep the Kongregate servers running if Kongregate (not GameStop) was not profitable itself.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ikaris:

With respect, really you (Kong and the Overlords at GameStop) seem to have added movie trailer-esque ads to either sell the Kong Plus fee schedule (a subscription based business model) or increase site advertising? Generally in an internet setting advertisers do not pay unless there is a click on the ad and often a transaction on the advertisers website. Sometimes a peanut is thrown for a simple click.

Are you seriously trying to teach Kongregate how internet advertising works? I would suspect they know. Also, regardless of whether an ad pays for views, klicks or purchases, showing the ad at all is necessary for all three models in order to generate any revenue at all.

Kreds are already present in the site economy and many developers are using them to demand premium payment to enjoy their games at anything but a wounded snail’s pace.

Just a thought here; perhaps fewer developers would feel the need to add premium content if everyone stopped using adblockers? And perhaps advertisers have to use intrusive ads because people using adblock prevents them from generating the revenue they need in order to be profitable, and therefore have to get the few people who view the ads to buy more things?

Regardless of whether or not this is true, gamers are generally just as amoral as developers or advertisers.

Flag Post
perhaps fewer developers would feel the need to add premium content if everyone stopped using adblockers?

Nope. I mean, do you think those leeches who make games like Caesary care about anything but making as much money as possible?
They couldn’t care less about ads, as Kong is one of the few (if not the only) Flash portals who share revenue with developers. Their main source of income are in-game purchases, and premium content is the main feature and only purpose of those kind of games (the gameplay is just an excuse for the cash items), not an extra that the poor developers add so they don’t die from starvation.

Flag Post

I said “fewer developers”, not “no developers”. Not all developers who add premium content are moneygrabbing whores.

Flag Post
Originally posted by NaturalReject:

I said “fewer developers”, not “no developers”. Not all developers who add premium content are moneygrabbing whores.

yeah they are, the whole reason you add premium content is to make more money.

not saying its a bad thing, but lets be real here.

Flag Post
Originally posted by NaturalReject:

yeah they are, the whole reason you add premium content is to make more money.

not saying its a bad thing, but lets be real here.

I think there’s a difference bwtween "let’s make a random ‘MMORPG’ (I still don’t understand why people call adventure games “RPGs” as there’s no roleplay involved) and suck as much money from players as we can." and “I guess I’ll throw some premium content to earn some extra pennies and to pay the server.”

But even then, I think ads have nothing to do with the developers implementing or not premium content. Like I said before, Kong is the only site that shares ad revenue; most devs who code for money get their biggest share from sponsorships, premium content and in-game ads (which Kong bans).

Flag Post
Originally posted by saybox:

you won’t find one since every major free site is funded either by ads or paid content – and most of them also allow ingame ads as well, which Kong doesn’t.

Your last line. “In which Kong doesn’t” Is an absolute BS claim. The first 5 minutes That I got on today, I was greeted with an ad that took up the entire game space, saying “HEY YOU SHOULD GIVE GAMESTOP MORE OF YOUR MONEY.” Soooo… yeah. That’s pretty much an In game ad.