Forums Kongregate

"Hey! Are you running an ad blocker?" page 6

203 posts

Flag Post

Kong is the very reason I installed an ad blocker, get some ads that dont require my CPU power and consume my battery more than necessary (read: still images/text) and I will deactivate it.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Fricknmaniac:

And rather humorously, blocking the “Remove AdBlocker” ads has an interesting side effect. It’s also removed the Kongregate logo from it’s usual position at the top left portion of the screen. So I’m no longer playing on Kongregate, I’m just playing on some generic gaming website. XD

I think you did something wrong when you blocked it, because it didn’t do that for me.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Thebum06:

And rather humorously, blocking the “Remove AdBlocker” ads has an interesting side effect. It’s also removed the Kongregate logo from it’s usual position at the top left portion of the screen. So I’m no longer playing on Kongregate, I’m just playing on some generic gaming website. XD

I think you did something wrong when you blocked it, because it didn’t do that for me.

Well, I blocked each of the images which came up, and there were four different sources, so I probably just blocked more of them than you did.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Thebum06:

Well, I blocked each of the images which came up, and there were four different sources, so I probably just blocked more of them than you did.

Maybe you blocked the whole images folder.
ie, instead of *.kongregate.com/images/help_devs_leaderboard.png?* you did *.kongregate.com/images/*.

Open your list of blocked elements and fix it.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Senekis93:

Maybe you blocked the whole images folder.
ie, instead of *.kongregate.com/images/help_devs_leaderboard.png?* you did *.kongregate.com/images/*.

Open your list of blocked elements and fix it.

Yup, that’s what I did. Honestly though, it’s kind of nice to have the entire site such a generic, bland, and nameless site. I think I might keep it this way.

Flag Post

i’d leave the ad’s on, if they didn’t serve **** 30 second long commercials with no cancel in front of MMOG games, that require speed to do things in a spawned tab. commercials w/o a cancel = block. if kong could separate animated, static and video ads into different hosts or allow us to turn off videos i’d be ok with leaving the ads on.

the best thing would be a switch, allow us to turn off commercials in upto say 10 favorited games. then everything else on the site would still show the commercials.

cause if a favorited game needs to reload in a separate tab and you see the same **** commercial for the tenth time in 30 minutes, you’d better expect players are gonna turn off the ads..

Flag Post

how about they don’t do video ads…some of us have bandwidth caps….

Flag Post

So here’s my issue with ads. I don’t mind supporting a site, but when advertising companies have been known to let malware and malicious code to be run it becomes a matter of system security. Sorry, I run an adblocker because I want my system to be secure. I don’t mind seeing ads. Take reddit.com for example, i’ve whitelisted their site because they promised they would make sure NONE of their ads contain malicious code or malware. If Kong can make that promise, I will whitelist the site. Until then I’m sick of seeing Kongbot multiple times on a page and will be blocking that image as well.

Flag Post

Yeah, I have an adblocker on because I don’t respond positively to ads. It doesn’t do anybody any good for me to disable my adblock, honestly—ad revenue is a dying business model, anyway.

Flag Post

i have a solution! make using an ad blocker against the rules, everyone will still use them, no one will be happy about the sad little kong bot, but no one will be able to moan about it . . .

joking aside though, I admit to using one, I have to, if I run ads my computer freezes when a flash based ones comes along or a movie before the game, i don’t block google ad words though, no chance of browser crashing flash there. I buy kreds now and again, i try to help out that way, but honestly, if I couldn’t use an ad block I couldn’t use the site, and yes, i am going to get Kong+ at some point to pay for this.

i have to agree with others in here, its an arms race, they keep making them bigger and brighter to grab our attention, we will find ways of ignoring them, they make them have shiny cursors and smilies to get our kids to click and download the junk because they know no better we have to secure our computers against that happening,

if you were to say ‘we screen every one to make sure its not annoying, or flashy or god forbid one of the smiley ones that shouts hello at you every few seconds’ there might be a few who will white list you, it just comes down which is going to cost more, the employing of a lackie to sift though them, or the loss of revenue by not having whitelisters

Flag Post

Nope! I support the developers for making awesome games, plus, I don’t even find the ads annoying. Sometimes they can even give me a good laugh (for example the ads that were translated from English to Romanian using Google Translate: eg. impusca 5 rechini (shot 5 sharks) and in the image appears a Roman city with 5 buildings).

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ruudiluca:

One of my friends claim to be seeing this ‘are you running ad-blocker?’ thing, even though they don’t have ad-blocker.

Many people are. Me, for example. Various security software will trigger Kongregate’s ad-blocker message.

I will allow Kong to make me see adverts as payment for playing games here.

I won’t allow an unlimited number of websites to run an unlimited number of scripts on my PC, doing who knows what.

Since Kong’s current advertising includes the latter, my security software blocks it as a side-effect.

Shame, really.

Flag Post

I don’t so much mind the ads, it’s the cookies placed by ad companies that I don’t want. I have whitelisted kong, but I manually denied the ad cookies or cookies I otherwise didn’t recognise. This probably kept the ads from showing and triggering that wonderful little robot we all know and love. :)

Flag Post

how funny, they make me feel guilty too lol

Flag Post
Originally posted by Yawgmoth:

I hope blocking things per adblock is not your only line of defence. Use anti-virus software, play games on Kong on an account with restricted rights, get an IDS or switch completely to linux (though this may bring different problems).

Or have some common sense and save your computer from a resource-hungry av, keep using your OS and save yourself any ammount of money you were going to waste into unnecessary software.

Flag Post

If that’s his only argument, he’d be better off with NoScript.
Also, AB+ isn’t security software, it’s a cosmetic tool.

I think common sense is the best anti malware ever.
I’ve cleaned a lot of computers and all of them had firewalls and avs… plus a bunch of toolbars that occupied half of the browser’s screen, Ares or some similar “please infect me” tool and most of had IE as the default browser. The list could go on.

To keep it short; the problems wasn’t the software or the lack of it, but the users being idiots.

And no, common sense won’t save you from a hacker who set your computer as a target, but neither will an antivirus or a different OS. Also, while there’s an abysmal difference between the ammount of malware programmed for Windows and that for Linux, the later isn’t immune.

I have the antivirus disabled like 99% of the time and I bet that I’ve had less viruses in my whole life than what the average user (with an antivirus) gets in a month, and as you said, it’s good to let him know all of the available options; what I said is a perfectly acceptable option for users concerned with performance.

Flag Post

FYI, I use AdBlock and NoScript and use MS Security Essentials. I have had issues where enabling ads on sites that don’t pre-screen ads enabled a malicious script to run and install something without my knowledge. NoScript works, but not on everything — especially ads when you whitelist a site. I use both NoScript and AdBlock on my Linux install as well as Windows.

Back when the internet first got started, you could be safe as long as you visited sites that you trusted. This is no longer the case if these sites have ads or get hacked. You could get away without running an antivirus software if you run NoScript and AdBlock in Firefox and use common sense.

I’ve cleaned my fair share of computers where people claim that they don’t do stupid things and still get malware. Not saying this isn’t possible, but I agree that a lot of times this is a result of idiocy by the user. Even given that, I don’t trust internet ad companies because they have proven time and time again to not screen their ads. If it was just a simple image (and yes I realize images can be malicious too), I’d be ok with seeing ads. Because these ads use any combo of javascript and Flash, I prefer to not take the chance.

Now, that said, K+ is a good alternative to blocking ads if you’re concerned about security. However, this is a strategy that every site that offers a service that people tend to abuse use of (like Pandora for example) and it’s becoming a thing that is nickle and dimeing people. Eventually I’ll get around to budgeting in K+, but right now I haven’t had the time since I mainly use Kong at work. :P

Flag Post

The Kongregate developers made the conscious choice to have adverts which were time-consuming, delaying or irritating. If the adverts were just banners at the top of the page, I’d have no problem. But when ads become a hindrance, if I as a person am offered a free, simple solution to that hindrance, I will take it. :|

Flag Post
Originally posted by Gnomeboy:

The Kongregate developers made the conscious choice to have adverts which were time-consuming, delaying or irritating. If the adverts were just banners at the top of the page, I’d have no problem. But when ads become a hindrance, if I as a person am offered a free, simple solution to that hindrance, I will take it. :|

Devs have no say in what ads are shwn.

Flag Post

I aint using an add blocker only Noscript to block any THIRD party java/javascript/silverlight element. Dont want untrusted elements running inside my browser.

Make the adds on kong to be first party (enbedded and from www.kongregate.___ server) and all your add will be shown here. No Cross site scripting an no injections of unwanted elements.

So if GameStop want me to see adds, make them so they can be fully trusted.

Flag Post

I haven’t read through all of the comments in this thread so I don’t know if this has been addressed.

I use Adblock, specifically on sites like Kong, for a number of reasons.

1) ANY animated things (ads or otherwise) not in the game are distracting and annoying. but more importantly…
2) Flash ads on the same page as a game tend to make the game work considerably slower for me because I don’t have a super-duper computer.

Solution – only use static ads (non-flash, non-animated) on game pages = I will whitelist Kong.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Zshadow:

Let me add at this point that the buyout by the folks at GameStop (Does that stand for Stop Gaming and start Paying?) has not added value to the site user but instead we have seen the rapid shift towards a pay to play model from what was a free flash game site.

I’d like to add that nobody is requiring you to buy anything on our site. The notice on the game is simply there to ask users who use AdBlock to not do so, as we rely on advertisements to earn revenue which we use to pay developers… Is that really so bad? :P They bring us free games, after all, and hours upon hours of enjoyment. The least we could do is sit through a few seconds of advertisement, or support the site that brings these free games to you. ;)

Actually, it’s terrible. :) Sadly, it’s the only monetization system that works consistently across the internet. People generally don’t want to pay for things they think should be free, or deem it not to have enough value to warrant paying money for it, so sites that need to make money generate this by creating impressions on users (brainwashing, if you will).

It really is amazing though that the revenue generated from this method is artificial. There’s no actual exchange of goods and services… just “Hey Kong, thanks for putting this in your user’s brain for us. Here’s 0.00001 cents”

Flag Post

Imo, advertising isn’t evil or “brainwashing.” I often find new products and services through advertising that are incredibly valuable to me now from * gasp * an advertisement for it!

Flag Post

I aid Kongregate by buying Kreds every once in a while… I never click ads.

Flag Post

Admittedly that was a horrible example, but I couldn’t think of a better one. :(

If you stand up to use the bathroom / refill your popcorn during the commercials of your favorite TV show, you’re a thief!