Forums Kongregate

"Hey! Are you running an ad blocker?" page 8 (locked)

204 posts

Flag Post

Kongregate was awesome until they whored themselves out to GameStop. Now we’re doing nothing but going downhill. Really sad.

Definitely not getting any money from me. If I want to make a donation to a dev I think is worth it, it will be a private one. That way they get exactly what I want to give them anyway.

Flag Post
Originally posted by catInASuit:

Kongregate was awesome until they whored themselves out to GameStop. Now we’re doing nothing but going downhill. Really sad.

Definitely not getting any money from me. If I want to make a donation to a dev I think is worth it, it will be a private one. That way they get exactly what I want to give them anyway.

You do realize they take absolutely no money from the donations, and you can enter a custom number of how much you want to give…

Flag Post
Originally posted by Darkscanner:
Originally posted by catInASuit:

You do realize they take absolutely no money from the donations, and you can enter a custom number of how much you want to give…

If you’re talking about kreds and tip jars, I don’t know if you realise, but they make money off that too. It was even mentioned in this exact thread.

Flag Post

Down with GameStop! They’re trying to make this site actually survive! Go bankrupt! We don’t want you here!

Typical ignorance, really. All you want is free, free, free, and when someone either goes bankrupt or tries to get money to prevent that, they’re the worst thing in the world.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Darkruler2005:

Down with GameStop! They’re trying to make this site actually survive! Go bankrupt! We don’t want you here!

Typical ignorance, really. All you want is free, free, free, and when someone either goes bankrupt or tries to get money to prevent that, they’re the worst thing in the world.

I don’t care if sites try to make money. It’s when they do it poorly that there’s a problem.

Kongregate has bad ads. There’s no getting around that – they make all of the mistakes that drove people to Ad Blockers in the first place. Big, glaring banners for crappy games, websites that have no meaningful or relevant content. Forced Ad viewings to get to content you want. Ads that you, quite honestly, don’t want anyone walking by to see.

I have no problems white-listing websites. I’m not, however, going to be guilt-tripped into seeing the shit I was specifically trying to avoid.

Flag Post

I aint editorialize on this, but I got to say; why do I see KongBot complaining if I have downloaded adblocker+ but disabled it in kongregate? You’re actually encouraging me to turn it back on

And you know, the most invasive ads comes outside of kongregate, that is why I have adblocker dowloaded and active outside of kongregate so there is no way I’m going to remove my adblocker+ just to remove KongBot banner

This happened on my home computer on a different account without a k+ membership unlike this accout has

Flag Post

How do you guys kep getting flashing/noisy ads? I’m not sure if it’s because I live in NZ/different country…

Flag Post

First time back here in a long time. I got the Your running Ad Blocker pop-up which btw re-started the game I was playing when it went back to it. I am a reasonable guy and see their point so I add kongregate.com to my white list in my Ad Blocker but then see the message come up again. One thing I wont do to play games on this site is open my system up to links and flash ads from third party sources. I run no script and ad blocker for a reason, which is to remain as secure as possible. I will un-block sites from both that I trust. I do not expect something for nothing but you can not expect me to just blindly open myself up to 3rd party flash content that I have no way of trusting or verifying as secure. I just think you need customer feedback on this policy to determine it’s effect on your user, customer base. With Christmas, birthdays and two sons I spend on average of $300-$400 per year at our local gamestop and also online for deals on pre-owned games so I am a paying customer, not just some dude complaining.

Flag Post

I’m with mrnukem. I whitelisted kongregate.com in my adblock+ settings. I also have NoScript running and have kongregate.com whitelisted there too. I still get the banner that tells me to “Disable ad-blockers on Kongregate.com…”. Clearly the instructions need updating.

I guess you also recently decided to make the page reload or something if you aren’t seeing ads? Quite clever. Also annoying. If it keeps up I guess I’ll have to leave for good.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Groundal:

As soon as i saw the kongbot anouncement, i tried removing my adblock, cause i agree i’d like to help developers. But the very first ads that appeared where not static, too colorful, etc. So i put it back. I took the time to come to the forum just to tell you that. Kongregate had just ONE chance to have people disable their adblockers just after they saw the kongbot anouncement, but the site was not ready, so people will turn their adblock back on. Plus, the message says “shares ad revenue with game developers” but doesnt say how much it shares, so it could be just 5% which wouldn’t be enough for me to consider disabling my adblocker. When there is an imprecision, you can assume it is deliberate 99% of the time. Try again Kongregate !

kong does not say “shares ad revenue with game developers”
kong says “shares ad revenue game developers”

“shares ad revenue game developers” ≠ “shares ad revenue with game developers”

Flag Post

Its weird how they are advertising an ad blocker through an ad…(I think its an ad blocker, I never read it though)

Flag Post

I’m willing to meet you folks partway on this, but I do have some suggestions regarding the nature of ads (and perhaps tips for the advertisers themselves):

1. Making your ad flashy, animated, and hard to ignore also makes your ad annoying. Ads like this tempt me to turn my adblocker back on, and tend to lower my opinion of the product advertized. (or at least their ad consultants). Annoying potential customers tends to drive them off, not attract them.

2. Some advertizes live on the belief that sex sells. Except with gamers it really doesn’t. Cheesecake pictures generally tell most gamers that the game has no real content, and that the sponsor thinks that gamers are shallow nitwits who are easily conned. Again, insulting your potential customers is not a good business model. There are plenty of places on the net which are far better sources of that sort content anyway. People come here to play, not to leer.

3. If you’re actually reading the comments section (with a thick skin), then you are doing at least one thing right. Knowing your potential customers is the first step in successfully appealing to some of them. Just remember to try and think of (the teaming masses of ‘us’ as potential clients deserving respect, rather than shallow dupes to be skinned (an attitude far too common in the industry) and you’ll have a fighting chance.

Flag Post
Some advertizes live on the belief that sex sells. Except with gamers it really doesn’t.

Mind to post a reliable source with stats backing that argument?
I find it hard to believe that sex doesn’t sell in a site full of male teenagers.

Flag Post

I use Ad Blocker. Saw Kong wanted it off. Turned it off for kong. It’s not much to ask. Kong does a lot for us. Go Kong.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Senekis93:
Some advertizes live on the belief that sex sells. Except with gamers it really doesn’t.

Mind to post a reliable source with stats backing that argument?
I find it hard to believe that sex doesn’t sell in a site full of male teenagers.

There was a study done in the US that was reported in the UK showing where ads were sexed up 70% or so of their target audience didn’t ‘care’. In short they saw the sex, but it didn’t sell the product to them. (I’ll let you find it yourself.)

Which, makes sense, I’m not going to buy anti-ballsack aging cream because a girl’s boobs fell out of a bikini top. Hell no, I’m going to look at the boobs and move on. No sane consumer would watch a ‘sexed’ up ad and go “hey if i get that it’ll happen to me!” or whatnot.

Flag Post

I should note that advertising is less about the conscious mind the target audience. So whether or not someone thinks that they’re more or less likely to buy a product based on advertising isn’t nearly as much of a factor as one might initially think.

Flag Post
Originally posted by PR2_STORY:

I use Ad Blocker. Saw Kong wanted it off. Turned it off for kong. It’s not much to ask. Kong does a lot for us. Go Kong.

I use Ad Blocker. Saw Kong wanted it off. Blocked their message that said they want it off.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Captain_Catface:
Originally posted by PR2_STORY:

I use Ad Blocker. Saw Kong wanted it off. Blocked their message that said they want it off.

Yes because that sure shows how grateful you are. I mean it’s not like they give you all of this for free right? Oh wait, they do.

I think they should make like 2000 flashy kongbot ads. Let’s see all of you guys block all of them.

Flag Post

It’d only take about 5 minutes, unless they were smart about it.

I’m not grateful at all. Without Kong, I’d just be forced to spend my time on one of the many other sites that offer the same things… Wouldn’t really hurt all that much, though I think any sort of ‘attachment’ to a specific site is a bit silly.

Flag Post

Kongregate has bad ads.

Report them. It is not Kongregate that selects them. Refer back to my post about ignorance. Choices made by Kongregate members are based on wrong assumptions.

If they are still not removed, and they are actually bad for your browser (or for your person), then is the time you whip out that adblock.

No sane consumer would watch a ‘sexed’ up ad and go “hey if i get that it’ll happen to me!” or whatnot.

That doesn’t stop firms from making advertisements for the insane ones, though.

Flag Post

Can’t you skip the ad? That’s what I do but if I see a inappriate add i will tell them, probably not a good idea to screen it lol.

Flag Post

so, my favorite ad on the side of the screen is the kong one saying to not use ad-block. i right click it, and hey, i can block the ad.
oh the fun.

that’s all i wanted to say, it’s probably been said before, but my attention span is about 0 right now, so i couldn’t be bothered to read all of the posts. so i shall go now

Flag Post
Originally posted by oreo82:

Can’t you skip the ad? That’s what I do but if I see a inappriate add i will tell them, probably not a good idea to screen it lol.

If you don’t, how will they know which ad is inappropriate?

Flag Post

annoying ads will only help divert users away from kongregate. fuck you! kongregate!

Flag Post
Originally posted by tingmarco4:

annoying ads will only help divert users away from kongregate. fuck you! kongregate!

These ads provide the revenue for Kongregate to continue to host this site. And the ads aren’t that bad, but you can report the ones that break the guidelines Kongregate has for ads. So it’s some ads and a few angry players, or no ads and no more site for anyone.