Forums Kongregate

Backyard Monsters badge.

40 posts

Flag Post

Badge description: Upgrade your map room to level 2

Game description: Upgrading to Map Room 2 has been known to cause irreversible errors in some users.

The CasualCollective:

Flag Post

:P What a troll.

Flag Post

Now, a bit more serious, that’s a real issue.
Rawis, Greg, what do you think of changing the badge requirements to Town Hall 6 (or whatever it is necessary for Map Room 2)?

Flag Post

Does it cause errors in getting the badge? If they make the badge for town hall level 6, and the person wants to keep playing, they will end up getting the map room level 2 anyways so there will still be the risk of errors.

Flag Post

No idea, but the casual collective is well known for making games full of bugs.
I don’t know what’s that “irreversible error”, but I would hate to get account data lost or whatever, especially considering that this may be the badge that takes the most time.

Flag Post

I didn’t had a problems with BYM badges… except the fact it took friggin 2 months to earn with daily logins
CasualCollective truly is king of the trolls
I mean, people cheat all the time, every day when you login, your yard is trashed by dominant players, shiny is over expensive… and then game keeps nagging about “techical issues”

Brrh, I ain’t come back to play BYM again. I even demolished my map room right after the badge

Flag Post
Originally posted by Maik50:

Brrh, I ain’t come back to play BYM again. I even demolished my map room right after the badge

Heh, that’s what I did too. I didn’t want to give people outside my direct sphere of influence any chance to actually destroy my town and benefit from it despite the fact that I quit the game. That was just the part of me that was angry and spiteful for such a terrible badge.

Flag Post

Is it bad that I play for fun? :o
Haven’t upgraded my Map Room yet, I’m scared to!

Flag Post

well, ive upgraded my map room 5 times and i havent gotten the “base 0” glitch yet. it does seem to be pretty rare.

at least if it happens, you get to stop playing the game with zero motivation to return. if you dont get the badge, can always send in a missing badge report.

Flag Post

My favorite part is how players ask for help in their forums, only to have their threads locked because “only the facebook version is supported here – go to the kongregate forum” which is then promptly ignored. At least DTD 1.5 is a good game! Wait…

Flag Post

At least DTD 1.5 required minimal skill and constant action.

Flag Post
Originally posted by EndlessSporadic:

Yup, I have nothing against it, and for its time I think it was more of a novel concept. I mainly was referring to how it doesn’t work on Kong anymore :D

Flag Post

It seems that there are more users who have earned the badge, but didn’t get the error (myself included!) There is the risk though… so if you’re just in it for the badges, go for it. If you wish to continue after upgrading to map room 2, it’s possible the game may bork so you may want to wait until Kixeye provides an update to the game.

We’ve been breathing down their neck about this.

Flag Post

The Base 0 error can also be manually triggered on your account by malicious users.

As for DTD, I think Kong should have stopped paying them ad revenue once the game stopped working, since it has badges sending traffic to it every day.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Zshadow:

If you wish to continue after upgrading to map room 2, it’s possible the game may bork so you may want to wait until Kixeye provides an update to the game.

I am irritated by Kongregate’s position in this issue and I’m a bit surprised that you guys don’t care more about it, or better, don’t take any action.
The develeoper (and Kongregate) are aware of the “base 0” problem since mid december. The developer said he would fix this at some point, but all of his posts on his official forum look like he’s only going to support his facebook version of Backyard Monsters.
While this isn’t Kong’s fault of course, I am irritated that you still allow that game players buying ingame currency with Kreds, although you know there is a significant chance that the person will be unable to play the game very soon after upgrading his map room.
Don’t you feel you have to make sure Kong’s currency isn’t “abused” somehow? I also think you are underestimating the amount of players affected by the “base 0” error. Did you look at this thread or this one?
Bugs can happen, sure, but not fixing something gamebreaking for hundreds of players that might have spent money on the game and just looking away and waiting for a fix that might or (probably) might not come seems a bit poor to me, especially because you (unintentionally of course) encourage people to upgrade their map room to level 2 with the hard badge (map room lvl 2 drastically increases the chance of getting “base 0” error).

I don’t want to start a flame war against Kong or anything, but I’m surprised your standards and quality assurance efforts about your currency, Kreds, aren’t higher.

Flag Post

Wrong place dude. Post it HERE!

Flag Post
Originally posted by TailsChao99:

Kongregate forum – Talk about anything related to Kongregate.

Broken games, badges- and Kreds-issues are clearly Kongregate related and important enough to be posted here in this forum.

Flag Post
Originally posted by TailsChao99:

this is the correct forum.

Flag Post

SRSLY?!

Wrong place. This isn’t the Backyard monsters forum that is right HERE.

Flag Post
Originally posted by BobTheCoolGuy:

Yup, I have nothing against it, and for its time I think it was more of a novel concept. I mainly was referring to how it doesn’t work on Kong anymore :D

Really? That used to be my go-to game when I got bored with everything else on this site.

@Tails – this is the correct forum when a game that involves kreds and has badges doesn’t work.

but all of his posts on his official forum look like he’s only going to support his facebook version of Backyard Monsters.

To be fair, what makes Kongregate more important than Facebook? (rhetorical question – facebook sucks)

I would do the same thing the dev of that game is doing. I would focus on my primary platform and ensure the bug fixes work there before distributing potentially worse bugs elsewhere. That is why PC, Xbox, and PS3 bug patches don’t get released at the same time.

Flag Post

To be fair, what makes Kongregate more important than Facebook? (rhetorical question – facebook sucks)

I would do the same thing the dev of that game is doing. I would focus on my primary platform and ensure the bug fixes work there before distributing potentially worse bugs elsewhere. That is why PC, Xbox, and PS3 bug patches don’t get released at the same time.

Oh, I fully understand that they are focusing on facebook because they probably make significantly more money there, so I’m not complaining that the updates they role out there aren’t coming to the Kongversion of the game.
However I do find it wrong to keep taking players’ money here while being aware that there is a bug that might make them lose their account and not fixing it for 3 months.
For some reason I thought Kongregate would take some kind of action when the game owner doesn’t, to protect its users when their currency is involved.
Especially, when the game’s badge requires you to do something that makes it highly likely you get the bug.
With multiple players getting the “base 0” error daily, I think Kong underestimates the problem, but maybe I’m overestimating it.
All a matter of your standpoint I guess hehe
If I’d have spent Kreds on the game, then upgrade my map room to lvl 2 to get the hard badge (but not to quit right after), followed by the base 0 error, I’d be “slightly” pissed tho keeping in mind Kongregate is aware of the problem since mid december.

Flag Post

I don’t want to start a flame war against Kong or anything, but I’m surprised your standards and quality assurance efforts about your currency, Kreds, aren’t higher.

I can assure you we are trying our best to see that this error is fixed, but ultimately, it relies on how quickly the developer can provide a fix. In the past when certain games have failed to do so (Caesary… Call of Gods…) we’ve given out Kreds, refunds, etc. … So we really do care about the integrity of our system, and the happiness of our customers – to the point where we actually spend thousands of dollars to fix a mistake/neglect caused by a developer.

I understand this error has been going on for a while, and we have been working on possible solutions that can help alleviate the problem. We’d like to go in and fix this error ourself if we could, but sadly we can’t. We aren’t turning a blind eye to it though… we’ve had staff members make phone calls, send e-mail after e-mail, compile usernames and Kreds spent, and even talked with them in person. A lot of time has been spent into providing as much information as we can to the developer. We can only do so much though… Whether this turns out good or not is uncertain, but we’d rather not have it turn out bad for everyone if we can choose the other path. :)

Flag Post
Originally posted by Zshadow:

In the past when certain games have failed to do so (Caesary… Call of Gods…) we’ve given out Kreds, refunds, etc. … So we really do care about the integrity of our system, and the happiness of our customers – to the point where we actually spend thousands of dollars to fix a mistake/neglect caused by a developer.

Oh, that’s true. I’m in no way denying that Kong is rather customer-friendly with refunds. Guess I was thinking of some kind of pre-emptive strike system like a message “Using Kreds on this game was disabled” when trying to buy in game gold in Backyard Monsters, to protect the player from losing his Kreds and to ultimately pressure the dev. Admittably a probably pretty unrealistic thought though.
I just don’t think Kixeye will ever fix the bug and how long are players with base 0 error supposed to wait for a fix? A year? Not that satisfying.
Kixeye using the Kreds system as income source is a privilege he should lose if he can’t guarantee his customers, the players, aren’t screwed over.

Anyways, thanks for answering, Zshadow, as always, appreciated :)

Flag Post

What about having the hard badge requirements changed? People who already have the badge can keep it however some players maybe want to continue playing backyard monsters(gasp) and still get the badge. At the moment the hard badge seems to be encouraging people to run into this glitch even if they want to play.

The whole description says upgrade at your own risk while the hard badge requires you to upgrade.. don’t you see the problem with that kongregate?

Flag Post

I tried to get it.