Forums Kongregate

Game advertisement through PM Spam

100 posts

Flag Post

I have never played this game, or any other games from that developer, nor do I enjoy these type of games. Why am I getting spammed through PM’s about patches?

And the adresser is not even the username but the game itself. SO I can’t even add him to ignore, only by clicking on his game first which createsrevenue for him which I don’t want. Simple put this is lame and I will vote 1/5 on each and every game that uses this method. There should atleast be a FILTER or check on advertisement on something like this. Like you only get this if you gave it a high rating (4-5) or the game is on your favourites. Spamming everyone on your random games with patchnotes on a game you never played and won’t enjoy is flat out ridicilous.

Please stop. THanks.

Flag Post

Click the delete button and block them from messaging you again.

Flag Post

You probably opened the game once in the last week for a few seconds, then immediately closed it realizing what it was. Unfortunately that still counts as being a recent player for the purposes of those messages being sent.

Flag Post

On what Richard545 said, I have a problem deleting those messages. I click the Delete link, kongregate dialoge pops up, I check to not receive further messages from the game and click “Delete”. Then the well-know loading-circle appears but even after 2 or 3 minutes neither the message gets deleted nor im unsubscribed from their newsletters… Any idea?

EDIT:
Just read the kong update thread and tried deleting those messages again. And it worked. At least its not my laggy pc’s fault after all…

Flag Post

That problem should have been fixed in the update last night, have you tried it today? I know I used to have that problem, but it’s working for me now.

Flag Post

And this is why all game messages should be blocked by default untill you decide to subscribe messages

What I see now is shameless spam advertising. I can tolerate non-invasive ads on homepage (for reference) but clogging up my PM box with ads is something I highly distolerate

Flag Post
Originally posted by Maik50:

And this is why all game messages should be blocked by default untill you decide to subscribe messages

What I see now is shameless spam advertising. I can tolerate non-invasive ads on homepage (for reference) but clogging up my PM box with ads is something I highly distolerate

I’d much rather automatically be able to read updates on games I’ve played than have to manually go through every game and subscribe to the ones that I want to know more about. I’ve received exactly 3 of these messages since they were introduced, and each of them conveyed useful information about the game in question. If you don’t want to read it, it takes literally 5 seconds to delete the message and block the game—how harmful is that?

Flag Post
Originally posted by racefan12:
Originally posted by Maik50:

I’d much rather automatically be able to read updates on games I’ve played than have to manually go through every game and subscribe to the ones that I want to know more about. I’ve received exactly 3 of these messages since they were introduced, and each of them conveyed useful information about the game in question. If you don’t want to read it, it takes literally 5 seconds to delete the message and block the game—how harmful is that?

A point between the two extremes: Only get messages from games that you rated with 4 or 5 stars. The rest will be automatically blocked and you can then allow them if you want to.

E: Or have a different folder for game messages, just like you can see shouts and pms, maybe a spam folder to catch all messages from games would be of use here.

Or don’t alert when a game sends a message.

Flag Post

@dubesor 1/5’ing every game that uses this method is a bit harsh, but I agree that it could use some toning out. Most games use it for no good reason, but I think if used correctly, then it could be useful. Telling you to “Play this game please.” or “You haven’t played in a long time, come back!” or “Imma keep updating this game. Check the game every day.” or like the above example – “Hey, we have a new update but we aren’t going to tell what’s in it so you have to play the game.”

Flag Post

Got another one from Fantasy online. It’s funny, because I enjoy all types of games on kong, EXCEPT for MMOs. Yet the only type of spam I get is from crappy MMOs. Is there any fix for this? Like firebug commands or such? It is really going on my nerves.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Fricknmaniac:

You probably opened the game once in the last week for a few seconds, then immediately closed it realizing what it was. Unfortunately that still counts as being a recent player for the purposes of those messages being sent.

That’s stupid. Kong should make it so that only after rating the game could players receive PMs from the game.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Gomo_Psivarh:

That’s stupid. Kong should make it so that only after rating the game with 4 or 5 stars could players receive PMs from the game.

Fixed.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Senekis93:

That’s stupid. Kong should make it so that only after rating the game with 4 or 5 stars could players receive PMs from the game.

Fixed.

what do you mean?

If I rate a game 1 star it obviously means I want updates about it for when it becomes better so I can up my rating to TWO stars

Flag Post
Originally posted by CROWst:
Originally posted by Senekis93:

Fixed.

what do you mean?

If I rate a game 1 star it obviously means I want updates about it for when it becomes better so I can up my rating to TWO stars

hmmm…

So we need a button “Receive game messages” at the top of the game box. PMs should be disabled by default, not enabled by default and you have to manually block them.

Flag Post

I agree with all 3 of Senekis’s ideas, particularly the one about rating. Why would anyone be interested in receiving messages from a game if they haven’t rated it highly? I think this would stop me and all of the other players from receiving messages from MMOs we’ve opened once and the ones we’ve rated down because of ridiculous energy systems. It would also stop me and all of the other developers from sending you annoying messages unless there’s a good chance you’ll be interested in what it has to say.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Moshdef:

Why would anyone be interested in receiving messages from a game if they haven’t rated it highly?

Some people rate games low because of bugs in the game or features that they don’t like. If the bugs are fixed and/or the features changed, then the developer should be able to tell players that so the players can come back and possibly change their opinion of the game.

As for only being able to send messages that are “important”: 99% of all developer game messages will probably not cause me to go back and play the game. Yet, I fully support the feature just for that 1% that will change my mind. Every game is important to the developer of that game—who are we to say which messages are important and which aren’t? If you don’t like a game, it takes 5 seconds to delete the message and block the game. But someone is interested in seeing that message—they shouldn’t be deprived of it just because someone arbitrarily decides it’s not important.

Flag Post

@racefan12

That’s very true, about the bug fixes/features and also the fact that users who would be interested shouldn’t miss out. I guess in that case, maybe Senekis’s idea about having a separate folder would be best? In any case, I don’t mind it the way it is right now at all, I just want to annoy as few people as possible while still utilizing the feature.

Flag Post
I guess in that case, maybe Senekis’s idea about having a separate folder would be best?

It’ll be called the Spam folder. ;)

Flag Post
Originally posted by Richard545:

Click the delete button and block them from messaging you again.

But he might get PMs from others and others. This might be an issue.

Flag Post

I feel that Gravitee Wars is abusing this now by sending out a PM advertising a new game and linking to the developmental website.

Flag Post

Definitely getting tired of it. Sure, it may only be 2-3 PMs per day… But it’s annoying. 3:<

Flag Post

I’ve only recieved about 3 messages in total, though all of them were pretty useless.
Honestly, I can’t see this working out very well. Game developers may take advantage of this system and spam players unwanted PMs about their upcoming games, however if I cared about upcoming games, i’d check their profile.

Flag Post

The game has to have more than 10,000 and be rated 3.75+, and you can block games. Don’t see this as a big deal at all.

Flag Post
Originally posted by BobTheCoolGuy:

The game has to have more than 10,000 and be rated 3.75+, and you can block games. Don’t see this as a big deal at all.

I think, to discourage as many messages being sent, the requirement should be upped to 50,000 plays or 100,000 plays. In addition, the messaging guidelines (found in the dev docs) should be posted above the input box on the messaging page.

This feature is great, but not if its used too much or doesn’t interest the audience it is sent to.

Flag Post

I’m sticking with my subscription idea. Users should be able to subscribe to developers just like Youtube does it. Whenever the developer releases a new game or update it gets pushed as a notification to a subscriptions page.

This will also greatly benefit unknown developers by allowing users who played your first game know that you have another game out. It removes the “plays” requirement and it lets you hear from the people you actually care about hearing from.