Forums Kongregate

"Decision": First medium badge glitch

21 posts

Flag Post

If you have completed the game before the badges are added (or just need to have explored 7 areas before), you WON’T be awarded the first medium badge (which requires you to kill a boss). Actually you HAVE TO START A NEW GAME to earn that badge because you won’t find a boss anymore after you beat them.

Since usually a description (e.g. You need to do XXX again if you already beat the game) is added for badges in which problems may occur when retroactively earning them, I think this Decision badge also needs one.

Flag Post

Great point
I never covered all areas but at least I got the boss medal kill bagde even when I slayed it before badges were added

Flag Post

Kongregate does support OR conditions now. Greg/raw could adjust the badge to also check for save files at 100%, same as the other badge.

Flag Post

I tested this out before adding the badge, and it was retroactively reporting the stat for the dead boss for me. That’s actually how I earned it — if you check my profile, I have all 4 badges, and I didn’t add any badges until I personally had 100% progress. So everything should be retroactive.

Is anyone else having problems? If so, Blackdrazon’s idea sounds pretty good.

Flag Post

An alternative way to earn the boss medium badge if you’ve secured all the territories (but not cleared) is to lose control of one of the territories that spawns a boss, then when you recon again, the boss will spawn again. It’s not a perfect solution, but it is a better solution than starting a new game until Greg comes up with another one.

The badge didn’t retroactive award for me, I had to lose the territory and clear it again. I also wasn’t 100% at that point, so I can’t speak on that.

Flag Post

this is partially why i dont play games before they are badged, the file either gets reset or it doesnt award retroactively.

i know thats usually the fault of the dev and not kong, but it still does discourage me from trying unbadged games.

Flag Post

Maybe you should play the games because they look fun instead of stressing about badges.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Captain_Catface:

Maybe you should play the games because they look fun instead of stressing about badges.

losiing your progress and/or having to start over is not fun.

Flag Post

^This

Flag Post

Wait, not stressing about badges is exactly how you’ll get screwed over. This happened to me with Burrito Bison Revenge. I was playing it for fun and almost had all upgrades/achievements. Badges came, and my progress was lost. The old save files couldn’t be loaded by moving/renaming them.

Flag Post

Progress isn’t lost because of badges, it’s because of faulty updating. Any way, a few other people in my chat had the same problem, so it doesn’t seem to work as properly as it should.

Flag Post

It’s probably just confirmation bias, but it seems like faulty updates happen around the time it receives badges. It might be because a game is told it’ll get badges if such and such gets fixed, and updates do not happen as much after being badged for single-player games.

Instead of a proper backwards-compatible update, an update might get rushed just for the badges. That’s the question: Would previous save games still be broken if the devs didn’t know their game would be badged?

The loss is small if they don’t make a backwards-compatible update anyway since there’s no penalty. The number of players after being popularized by badges is so much greater in the long run than the players before badges, and they won’t care about the players who were screwed beforehand.

Flag Post

The actual issue is just how flash stores local files, mostly. With how files are handled, if I upload a game called “game.swf” to Kong, flash will make a folder for “game.swf” to house the local files in your Kong folder. If I upload a new version called “game_kongapi.swf” to Kong, flash assumes it’s a new game, so it creates a new folder for “game_kongapi.swf” in your Kong folder to house the local files, because it just uses the name of the swf file to tell one flash element apart from another. What usually happens is the dev updates the game to either integrate or fix the API for their game prior to getting badges, and unknowingly uploads a version with a different name from the original, so flash creates a new save folder for it. This can be fixed by the dev just changing the name on the new version to be identical to the original version and re-upload it. It’s also more noticeable because these games are also getting a lot of plays because they’re usually promoted on the homepage in Hot New Games and then the update is made and the save info is lost. It happens to older and lesser played games all the time, just ~no one notices.

Flag Post

I’m just annoyed that Decision changed it’s Flash Player default from Flash Player 10 to Flash Player 11, making it completely unplayable for people using OS X Leopard or earlier. (Yes, it’s easy but somewhat costly for me to add 1 GB of ram and upgrade to Lion. I’m still annoyed by it, because the game was playable using Flash Player 10.)

Flag Post

Also having the Decision boss badge issue, refuses to recognize that I’ve killed a boss in the past – full 100% game so obviously I have more than once ;p

As for the “OMG just enjoy stuff” crowd – really… NO. What is the point of having badges at all if we’re just going to say oh never mind guess you’re screwed – after all who cares right? Let’s just remove all badges from everyone and the entire site hell with it! No? You think people might just get irked?

Seriously of all the braindead answers I’ve seen, what amounts to “It’s not important to me, so you should shut up” takes the cake. Get over yourself and get out of the way of people trying to get technical support on an entirely legitimate issue. Kthx.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Irasfel:

Seriously of all the braindead answers I’ve seen, what amounts to “It’s not important to me, so you should shut up” takes the cake.

But that’s the American way!

Flag Post

What’s the point of playing games at all if you’re just doing it for the badges?

And… On a series like Mardek, I can see this being an issue, but why are you freaking out about a game that takes like… 15 minutes? If you’re just playing for the badges, what’s it matter if you’re playing generic zombie game B or replaying generic zombie game A. You’ll get your three badges so that you can boost your poor shriveled ego. If a game isn’t good enough for you to replay, don’t replay it. No one is going to go through your profile and yell at you for not having badge number 357975. You’re stressing about something which gives you literally nothing.

That said, there are plenty of things on the Internet that are worth stressing about. You could learn some programming, or animating, or 3D modeling. Plenty of useful things you could be doing so that your time wouldn’t feel so wasted as it is by having to replay a game for 15 minutes.

</endrant>

Flag Post
What’s the point of playing games at all if you’re just doing it for the badges?

Because suffering through the game to get a badge is paid dividends by how you feel after you earn that badge. It’s not just relief.

Flag Post

And… On a series like Mardek, I can see this being an issue, but why are you freaking out about a game that takes like… 15 minutes? If you’re just playing for the badges, what’s it matter if you’re playing generic zombie game B or replaying generic zombie game A. You’ll get your three badges so that you can boost your poor shriveled ego. If a game isn’t good enough for you to replay, don’t replay it. No one is going to go through your profile and yell at you for not having badge number 357975. You’re stressing about something which gives you literally nothing.

That said, there are plenty of things on the Internet that are worth stressing about. You could learn some programming, or animating, or 3D modeling. Plenty of useful things you could be doing so that your time wouldn’t feel so wasted as it is by having to replay a game for 15 minutes.

</endrant>

id like to say what i really think of such a question, but i will refrain.

if i want to play games and not get achievements, there are many better sites than kongregate who offer way higher quality non-badged games. i choose kong as my site to earn as many badges as i can, but this is not the only site i play on because other places do certain things better.

Flag Post

I actually don’t replay games after the save files get deleted. It just makes me mad that there are 15-20 badges that I would have if only the save files weren’t deleted. You should never ever have to do something twice just to get credit for it once.

Flag Post

to anyone who says play it again, while the game is quick to kill the boss, as a general rule, people hate replaying something they’ve already done.