Forums Kongregate

Rating Comments

16 posts

Flag Post

When I look at games and then scroll down to see the comments, there will be some people who don’t like the game (obviously), so some people (I would really like to say most of them but that’s not the case) try to say that they don’t like the game in the nicest way possible but alas, the comments get rated down and even if they say something good about the game and then point out the flaws still get under rating thresh-hold. Now I don’t know about you but to start of with, wasn’t that the whole point of the comment system? All that I am trying to put across is that the rating systems can get mis-used and I am wondering if we should even have them at all.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Flag Post

Couldn’t agree more. There’s something seriously wrong with the kong community recently and the comment rating feature gets badly abused. Constructive criticism is not possible anymore because idiots (i assume that wording) rate such comments down and downer. Only allowed comments are inane ones and over-laudatory ones. I think the rating feature needs to be fixed because as it is now it promotes the dictature of the brainless (and, no, i’m not talking about zombies).

Flag Post

This isn’t a failure of the comment system; it’s a side effect of human nature.

Games will obviously attract more people who like the game than who don’t (because if you’re not a fan of the game, then you’re not likely to play it for very long, if at all). So people who criticize games are going to have their opinions downvoted not because their criticisms are invalid, but because a majority of people who are playing the game already like the game as it is (or else they wouldn’t be playing it).

Flag Post

I’ve left less than stellar comments on games and not been downrated (or at least more people +’d than -’d). I imagine the downrating is a number of factors comment like, “This suks!!!?! derp derp derp” will get downrated just because it is unintelligible as well as not really adding anything to the comment section.

Then you have people who are sarcastic or rude in their comments while having a good point (“The hit detection is off. I can’t believe the stupid developer spent time programming this horrid mess”).

Then, or course, you have what racefan12 was talking about.

I’m curious what the comments were for the game you took a screenshot of. I notice that it appears at least 3 of the comments were left by the same person…

Also, I’ve seen comments that point out flaws as the top comment (protector by undefined for example. Just picked that since that’s a game I’m playing now). I think overall the system works – although you are right sometime even leaving a comment that is pointing out flaws in a game will get negative marks, but I’m guessing in the long run these will even out.

Flag Post

@racefan. You’re right of course, this is not a failure per se, but the agressive downrating behavior is only very recent (a few months, maybe more). So i think it has to be adapted to take that new behaviour into account.

“[they] are going to have their opinions downvoted not because their criticisms are invalid, but because a majority of people who are playing the game already like [it]”

This is exactly why i used the term “dictature of the brainless”. It doesn’t take a lot of of “downvotes” to hide a comment. A hidden comment is very much like a removed/banned comment. In other words: your opinion has to conform to everyone’s opinion if you want it to be heard, but this is kinda pointless since it became more or less the less as everyone’s opinion.

@atari_kid I can understand why comments like “This suks!!!?! derp derp derp” would be negatively rated; actually this is exactly the kind of situation where community self-moderation makes sense.

Concerning protector you can see that the top comments have mostly been posted in 2010 (2 years ago). So those comments may not apply to the current discussion. However it is interesting to bring them up because they allow to point out what i see as another flaw of the comment feature: people have a natural tendency to “sheep-vote” (ok, this is my own neologism); thus the comments that enter the top comments section at the early life of a game have a high probability to sit there ad vitam. But that’s another matter.

Flag Post

i totally agree beacause i said this game is good but the only problem is it sometimes freezes. and it got 10 thumbs down.

Flag Post
Originally posted by rhill:

This is exactly why i used the term “dictature of the brainless”. It doesn’t take a lot of of “downvotes” to hide a comment. A hidden comment is very much like a removed/banned comment. In other words: your opinion has to conform to everyone’s opinion if you want it to be heard, but this is kinda pointless since it became more or less the less as everyone’s opinion.

This is only half true. If nobody agrees with something you say about a game, the chances are that either you expressed yourself really badly, or what you said was incorrect or irrelevant.

Flag Post

It doesn’t take a lot of of “downvotes” to hide a comment. A hidden comment is very much like a removed/banned comment.

I disagree; it takes only one click to reveal a hidden comment, as opposed to the complete inability to read a comment that has been removed entirely. Furthermore, there is a script that will allow you to change the threshold for hidden comments (or to remove it completely and show all comments).

Also, I would say that more than half of the hidden comments I see are actually stuff like

“This suks!!!?! derp derp derp”

than actual constructive criticism. But maybe that’s just me.

people have a natural tendency to “sheep-vote” (ok, this is my own neologism); thus the comments that enter the top comments section at the early life of a game have a high probability to sit there ad vitam.

I wouldn’t call that sheep voting, I would consider that the luck of commenting at the right time. Nowadays, if someone makes a comment, only about 100 people would see it before it gets bumped off the page completely—even if everyone who saw it rated it highly, it still wouldn’t make the top comments.

Flag Post

the rating system is just stupid and should be done away with. the top 5 “best” comments are usually nothing more than compliments to the dev(generally meaningless ones such as “great job”), and occasionally a walkthrough which is equally pointless. if i wanted a walkthrough badly enough ill find an actual good one on google. if the game is widely liked and you make a negative comment, it will be downrated.

rating comments should be done away with.

best comments should be done away with.

Flag Post

I think a rating system is necessary, maybe the mods could just take down the ones that are clearly not serious?

Flag Post

Unless I’m missing something… and maybe I am… OP complains about people unfairly down voting those who give constructive criticism, posts a screenshot of it happening, but in the screenshot, he’s downvoted them too? You can tell since the “minus” button is red, and the flag symbol is there. Rather ironic, unless I’m missing something.

But anyways, while I agree it can, and sometimes is, easily abused, it just shows the majority opinion of the community.

Flag Post
Originally posted by robot7656:

i totally agree beacause i said this game is good but the only problem is it sometimes freezes. and it got 10 thumbs down.

That’s because the game doesn’t freeze for normal people.

Flag Post
Originally posted by bjjdude:
Originally posted by robot7656:

That’s because the game doesn’t freeze for normal people.

So you’re saying it only freezes for abnormal people. Okay then.

Flag Post

The freezing came first for the abnormal people and I said nothing, for I was not abnormal.

Flag Post

As said, rating comments down is more of a matter of disagreeing with a person than downoting it because comment doesn’t make sense or is breaking ToS

Anyway, I accept this voting system. It allows people to express their opinion clearly without making new comment but… It’s not a matter of clicking ‘show comment’ which bugs me, it’s a matter of principle that a comment is hidden because people simply disagrees with a comment that is voted down

Most of the time, downrated comments are either complainants, praises or spam/irrelevant chit-chat, but there are some pearls amongst downrated comments called thoughtful reviews (or criticism). Hiding them behind a curtain makes me sad

There is some things to inspect from both kongregates and players aspect

Kongregate for hiding comments from such a low threshold, players for so sensibly clicking [ – ]button

Flag Post

Maik50 summarized my thoughts very well. Kong dev team should work on the semantics of uprating/downrating and on how to enforce it.

@elbandito: kudos for pointing out the irony in the screenshot of the op :)