Forums Kongregate

Investment Opportunity? (locked)

11 posts

Flag Post

Not sure if the right place for this is a fourm but I was wondering if Kongregate would offer any investment opportunities, such as stock. I know a couple small companies that buy stock certifcates at office depot and allow people to buy some shares of the company. If kongregate was to be the next youtube I sure would like to cash in on that.

Flag Post

Companies don’t offer stock options openly until they go public with whats called an IPO (initial public offering). Initially, investment is often private and limited, as too many shareholders can interfere with early growth of a company. Most companies stay privately held for quite awhile (or indefinitely), often to make sure the site progresses alongside their vision as closely as possible.

Thats not to say you cant invest in companies before the IPO, but to be an initial investor you usually have to have a decent amount of $$$.

Flag Post

Companies can offer stocks without being public

Flag Post

It’s great that you’re expressing this kind of interest, but yeah, Arcane summed up our current situation pretty well.

Flag Post

Companies can offer stocks without being public

They can, but its not typical. It often only complicates matters. On top of the more important reasons, this is especially so since they’d have to have the burden of deciding why they should offer one person stock and not another.

Flag Post

From what I heard they already have enough financial backing from some big names, no? :)

Flag Post

Yup.

Flag Post

send $$ and you will become a moderator ! ahah

Flag Post

Due to regulations from the Securities and Exchange Comissision, we can’t sell shares of Kongregate to people other than “qualified investors”. Basically a qualified investor is someone rich enough to afford losing their money – or a family member.

The reason for this is the amount of stock fraud that used to go on – now in order to sell stock to the public, a company must do a lot of very detailed and expensive reporting of their earnings, etc. This is only viable for large companies, which is why only large companies “go public”.

We’ve already raised the money that we need from qualified investors – hopefully one day Kongregate will be big and successful enough to go public and you can all invest.

Seriously, we would love to have our players and developers invest, but it just isn’t feasible. We appreciate the show of confidence, though.

Flag Post

You got my vote if it ever does go big im in.

Flag Post

I want a broken wii!!!!!!!!