To get Sola Rola working, follow these instructions.
You need to edit your hosts file to point
22.214.171.124 – if you already know how, then great. If not keep reading:
1. Open your hosts file (this step requires Administrator or superuser rights). The link has instructions for a variety of operating systems.
2. Add the following line and save it:
3. Test it by pointing your web browser to www.gimme5games.com. If you were successful you will see a message from zAlbee saying so, and you can go ahead to the game. But if you see the gimme5 homepage then it didn’t work and there is no reason to try the game. If things didn’t work see below for some ideas.
Note: This procedure redirects all requests to www.gimme5games.com towards the new server. To undo, simply remove the same lines from the hosts file, or add a
# in front of the line to comment it out.
The IP address above is for the server
zalbee.intricus.net. It is unlikely but possible that the IP will change, if it does please send me a message so I can update this post.
If it should happen that the server is no longer reachable (who knows what will happen years from now), then please see further down this thread where I have a posted a copy of the necessary files, and you can host it yourself.
PS. When you play the game please +1 my comment inviting people to this thread, so that the comment stays at the top.
If it doesn’t work:
Some things to try – once you see the success message from zAlbee you can continue to the game:
- Restart your browser.
- Go to http://www.gimme5games.com/ and press shift-reload.
- Ping www.gimme5games.com and see if the IP address matches the line above.
- Clear your cache (Not your cookies!!)
- Reboot your computer.
- Try a different browser.
- Read this thread starting at about the middle of page 3 – maybe someone posted a suggestion that will work for you.
If you get the success message but the game doesn’t work:
- Go to http://www.gimme5games.com/solarola/levels/levelList.xml and press shift-reload. You should see the XML, or your browser may try to download the file. Let it, then delete the file (you don’t need it, you just want the browser to have a fresh copy).
Any other ideas? Let me know by posting a reply to this thread, and I’ll add them.
To Kong admins:
Are you able to host the Sola Rola files on a kongregate server? They have a fixed directory structure. If you can, please let us know, so that zAlbee doesn’t have to host the files forever.
Why this works:
The game loads the level pack from external files that used to be hosted on www.gimme5games.com – however those files were deleted. zAlbee managed to reverse engineer the file format by reading the source code for the game. But we still needed the actual data that used to be there.
In a moment of awesomeness zAlbee wrote an editor for the levels. And then other uses of this site helped by viewing a video walkthrough of each level and creating the levels. zAlbee then assembled those levels and uploaded them to his server. (The IP address above is to his server.)
The original post when this thread was started:
Sola Rola doesn’t work.
The problem is that it needs these two files:
But both are gone.
If you edit your hosts files and redirect www.gimme5games.com to a webserver you control, then create empty files in those locations the game will almost start.
You’ll get the dialog part of the game – which will be blank since translate.xml is empty. But if you wait long enough it will eventually stop.
Then you can actually get to the level page. But because levelList.xml is empty none of the levels will load.
That’s as far as I was able to get.
If you go here you can see some of the source code for the game. Maybe someone can read it and reverse engineer what needs to be in levelList.xml?