Forums Kongregate

How to get Sola Rola working. (Was: How to almost get Sola Rola to work - very close.) page 5

122 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by Doc27:

Sooo. Badge of the day requires a less than user friendly workaround to even get to the game, for a game that the developers have all but abandoned? Yeah. I’m seeing too much like this lately. Time to find a new site to play at, Kong has jumped the shark.

The workaround took me less than a minute to complete, and Kong has absolutely nothing to do with the developers of the game. They can’t physically edit the game without the publisher’s permission and the next best thing for them to do is remove its badges.

Be grateful that these wonderful users have done even this much, since it makes the game completable.

Flag Post

Sooo. Badge of the day requires a less than user friendly workaround to even get to the game, for a game that the developers have all but abandoned? Yeah. I’m seeing too much like this lately. Time to find a new site to play at, Kong has jumped the shark.

It’s 5 points, get over it.

It’s also chosen semi randomly, they do look through them but sometimes mess ups happen. Don’t blame game for this mostly developer issue.

Flag Post

I’ve gone though all the instructions (and later suggestions) and it’s still not working for me.
I don’t think I edited the Host file right There was no file called Host, only one called Imhosts.sam – is this right? When I ping the ip is 174.129.201.119 not 216.104.46.66.
I am editing as admin/full control and it’s not set to read-only.
Windows 7, Chrome/Firefox. No proxy. Any suggestions?
Also I think it’s really awesome that you guys are doing this, but I have to wonder why Kong isn’t doing it. And why the hell they keep picking badges of the day without making sure the games/badges actually work.
Having edit my host file etc is not my idea of “casual” online gaming :P
a c+p of the end of my imhost file;
“# Note that the whole file is parsed including comments on each lookup,

1. so keeping the number of comments to a minimum will improve performance.
  2. Therefore it is not advisable to simply add lmhosts file entries onto the
  3. end of this file.
    216.104.46.66 www.gimme5games.com
    216.104.46.66 gimme5games.com"

Flag Post
Originally posted by uuu2:

It’s 5 points, get over it.

It’s also chosen semi randomly, they do look through them but sometimes mess ups happen. Don’t blame game for this mostly developer issue.

Yes, but do you know what the “semi-” part of that “semi-random” is supposed to indicate? Someone keeping shit like this from happening. The game literally does not work without this fix, ergo I can only conclude that there is literally no one actually watching the BOTD feed as Kongregate likes to claim. Doc27 blamed Kongregate for the badge showing up in the feed. They were correct, because Kongregate controls the feed.

Flag Post

The badges should be removed from this game.. It is not working..

Flag Post

Just follow zAlbee’s tips,it worked on me! Thanks!

Flag Post
Originally posted by Blackdrazon:

Yes, but do you know what the “semi-” part of that “semi-random” is supposed to indicate? Someone keeping shit like this from happening. The game literally does not work without this fix, ergo I can only conclude that there is literally no one actually watching the BOTD feed as Kongregate likes to claim. Doc27 blamed Kongregate for the badge showing up in the feed. They were correct, because Kongregate controls the feed.

they do look through them but sometimes mess ups happen

Flag Post

Thanks a lot! It works, and it’s not hard!

Flag Post

So I think I’m just illiterate or something…But I’ve tried multiple things and I can’t get it to work. :(

I’m on Windows 7 and use Google Chrome. I’ve edited the hosts file but I have no idea if I did it right…So if anyone could help, it’d be much appreciated. :)

Flag Post
Originally posted by feoa:

I don’t think I edited the Host file right There was no file called Host

Originally posted by Kaizus:

So I think I’m just illiterate or something…But I’ve tried multiple things and I can’t get it to work. :(

I’m on Windows 7 and use Google Chrome. I’ve edited the hosts file but I have no idea if I did it right…So if anyone could help, it’d be much appreciated. :)

See if the instruction here help: http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/windows-7-hosts-file/ by default the hosts file is hidden so you might not be able to find it.

Flag Post

FINALLY my obsessive personality can collect the final missing badge on Kongregate! :) Thank you!!!

Flag Post

Update

The IP address for my server has changed recently. Here is the new address that you should place in your HOSTS file to get this working:

67.212.163.74 www.gimme5games.com

Cheers,
zAlbee

Flag Post

Thank you very much! Now I can finally get those badges.

Flag Post

Please make instructions with pictures to make it simpler to understand how to get the game working, having a hard time solving it myself! :/

Flag Post

You people are wonderful. I was afraid I wasn’t going to be able to get 100% of the easy badges on the site because of this. Kudos to you all!

Flag Post

I was afraid I wasn’t going to be able to get 100% of the easy badges on the site because of this.

And you probably won’t, because some of them belonged to the games that are now taken down, like Caesary.

Flag Post

It didn’t work for me, unfortunately. I went to notepad, went through the different files/directories until I got to etc, found hosts and clicked “run as administrator”, then added the necessary lines given by zAlbee, and nothing happened. I got a loading screen, but the screen was still white after that. I’m a badger, so I would really love to find a way to get this game going.

(Note: I did use zAlbee’s updated IP address that he gave, so I’m not using an outdated IP address)

When I went to gimme5games.com, I didn’t see any “message” or anything like that, am I doing it wrong?

Flag Post

Hey guys, I just wanted to let you all know that this morning I was able to establish contact with the owner of Ammocity, which now owns Gimme 5 Games. I linked him to this thread and requested that he host askon’s files directly on Gimme 5 Games’ servers, which would fix Sola Rola everywhere it’s hosted (it’s broken over on Gimme 5 Games too). He told me that he would work on this ASAP.

I am optimistic that we can get this working properly, but if not, the badges in Sola Rola will be retired soon. Special thanks to askon for quite possibly saving this entire game on every site where it’s hosted!

Flag Post

That’s great news. I hope they’re able to figure out how to host the files properly in order to fix the game.

Flag Post

Thanks Greg. I’m glad to hear that our efforts won’t go to waste.

FYI, here is a mirror of the files needed in case they have any trouble finding them: http://gimme5games.intricus.net/solarola/

The directory structure needs to be an exact match for it to work. Additionally, they’ll need a crossdomain.xml file at the web root of the server, but I assume the owner of a large Flash game portal knows how to do that. ;)

Flag Post

Nice. Askon has pretty much done a really great thing. He deserves a medal.

Flag Post

Hi, if you want I can do an “unofficial” translation in Italian of the available text (of course I cannot translate words that aren’t in the game, as I notice that some text is missing)